“Bad service in the bistro Bridges”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Hotel is good, the location is good. The breakfast does not include hot dishes, there are not a lot of seats for guests. The service in the bistro Bridges is not polaite and slow. It makes my mood awful. Dishes are small.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank duska159
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I would like to express my true disappointment regarding the experience you had in our restaurant. This certainly does not reflect the usual high level of service and facilities we offer to our guests. Therefore I would like to invite you to discuss these matters further. Please contact our F&B Manager on H2783-FB1@sofitel.com

Despite this experience I do hope you will consider staying in The Grand on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Grand was truly that. From the moment we walked in, to the moment they put us in a car and said goodbye, the entire staff was attentive and friendly. Prohibition cocktails by Joel in the bar were top notch. Try his ginger beer mojito. The location was perfect to all major sites of Amsterdam. There are few cabs in this city so you have to plan accordingly. I wouldn't recommend you try and peddle a bike around as you might get yourself killed. Rijkstad Museum and Concert Gebouw are must dos. The SoSpa in this hotel is smaller than London, but the staff had good technique.

2  Thank Dianna R
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your kind words about our service. I will not fail to pass your positive comments on to the staff.

Indeed, our central yet quiet location is a true asset for the hotel. May I suggest that next time you are in Amsterdam, we arrange a carriage tour for you. This is a lovely way to explore the city center.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I chose The Grand, as when I used to visit our office opposite, it always looked like a top notch place to stay. I'm glad to say we were suitable impressed.

As we drove into the courtyard we were greeted with a warm welcome from a very smartly dressed gentleman called Eilko, who chatted with us whilst taking our details and arranging for the car to be parked securely and our bags taken to our room.

When checking in, I did initially feel a little deflated, as being a Platinum loyalty guest with several hotel chains, this was the first time I'd lucked out on the complimentary room upgrade entitlement. I do however completely understand if a hotel is busy. Accor use a slightly different method for the allocation of upgrades and I guess they're not going to let a more expensive room go for free over a paying guest, so in the end I didn't let it bother me.

The Superior room we had booked was still very nice, not too small, with a canal view and served its purpose. The bed was extremely comfortable and with the silence the building provided, had a superb night’s sleep. The bath robes were the best yet. So much so, we decided to buy a couple from reception to take home with us.

The young lady (Lisa) who showed us to our room, also very thoughtfully placed a lovely bottle of champagne in our room, along with a card wishing me a happy birthday. This was a wonderful surprise considering my birthday wasn't until two days after we were due to leave.

All throughout the hotel during our stay, staff would pass by or come and chat and refer to us personally by name, which always made us smile and feel like honoured guests. I just love little touches like this.

I really wanted to give this hotel Five stars, but have decided to knock a star off due to our unfortunate experiences at breakfast. I'd read reviews of the breakfast on here and was expecting a high level of service given the rest of the hotel and also the additional premium charged. Sadly, I felt let down on both occasions. Some staff seemed to be quite rushed and even after several requests with different staff, items asked for were forgotten. A part of my hot breakfast arrived after I'd finished the main part of it, plates were not removed from the table in order for me to help myself to something else, tea served at the table was not much darker than water without tea in it and having the manager turn a blind eye to a guest loudly playing some kind of bizarre music from his mobile phone was not my idea of a quality breakfast experience.

Forgetting that element of our stay for a moment, I would sum up our overall experience as first class. It is a wonderful building, situated in a perfect location, with professional staff, who go out of their way to ensure you have a wonderful time. The little gestures we experienced mean the difference between us coming back again and again, or finding somewhere else.

I would definitely say we will be returning. Out of all the hotels I’ve stayed at in Amsterdam over the past 15 years, this is THE BEST YET.
It’s not the cheapest by a long shot, but you’ll certainly come away with a smile and want to return. Hopefully next time I visit, I’ll be giving a glowing review of the breakfast service as well.

The staff are so lovely that they more than make up for little annoyances. I just felt I should mention it. Please don't let that put you off.

1  Thank On-two-wheels

I am so pleased to hear that your stay with us was (almost) "perfect". Thank you for this wonderful feedback. Indeed we strive to provide high standards of service.

However, I do take your comments about the breakfast quite seriously and will definitely discuss them with our Restaurant Manager.

I hope to welcome you back in The Grand and I hope you will then give us a ‘glowing’ review of the breakfast service as well.

Au revoir,

Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel is truly a 5 star with beautiful rooms and facilities. However, it is the staff that makes this property exceptional. My family just spent 4 nights here and couldn't have asked for better service from everyone we met. I read a professional review that said the staff was "frosty" ??? What? The staff was warm, welcoming and did everything in their power to make us feel at home. My son got sick and the concierge Niels arranged a doctor and then walked us to the pharmacy to get his medicine. This took a total time of an hour and he literally saved our afternoon. The front desk staff and the restaurant manager and staff were just as good. The lovely woman who checked us in early into one room then went out of her way to track me down on the property to let me know the second room was available.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Charles B

What a wonderful feedback! Thank you very much for that!

I also thank you for pointing out the warm, perfect service provided in all the departments of the hotel. We ineed genuinely love to indulge all of our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights during a business event and the rooms were great.
Great position within the City , walkable to most areas. The breakfast was more of an experience and make sure you get it included in your room price and it's a little pricey. The service from the staff at breakfast was excellent and above and beyond. We had a sick member of our party and they prepared a selection of cakes and rolls for him to take to his room.
The whole building is beautiful and theres even a nice little bar hidden away which opens till late and serves a great beer with local cheeses. Would recommend if you after a little bit of luxury.

Room Tip: It's quite an old building so ask for a room away from the lifts and a higher floor to avoid noi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank siamcoxy

Thank you for this extremely positive feedback.

I will pass on your words of praise to the whole team. This will serve as an encouragement as we strive to provide high standards of service.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Au revoir,

Reviewed March 28, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Been meaning to write about the Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam since New Years' Day! My husband and I spent his birthday and New Year 2014 at this beautiful and historic hotel. (It was Amsterdam's Town-Hall since the 1600s until the 90s. Former Dutch Queen Beatrix married here. (Folks can still marry here, if they wish!) Not only is this hotel tastefully decorated, has a great restaurant but is most central, set on a lovely canal. To the right, the Royal Palace,to the left 'Chinatown' and beyond that the Red Light District!!!!! In addition to all these assets, all the staff were very helpful and charming, Concierge Frits helped us tremendously with tickets for this and that, whilst charming manageress Zsa Zsa even showed me around this (to quote Lyd123flore) this classy, elegant, outstanding Hotel. (I could not stop taking photos!!!) Would definitely stay here again, and it's ideal for that special occasion!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow, you have made our day ! It is a pleasure to read such a positive review about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Indeed the hotel is located in a historical building. For those interested, there is a daily historical tour of the hotel, during which quite a few very interesting facts and anecdotes are told.

I hope to welcome you back in The Grand !