“Superb luxury in a superb location” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #11 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Superb luxury in a superb location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in this hotel in an executive room overlooking the canal and quaint canal street houses typical of Amsterdam. The room was small but luxurious - as was the bathroom. The overall ambience of the hotel was warm, welcoming and calm and felt like an oasis of peace and quiet amongst the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam. Dam Square is a 2 minute walk away and the alluring sites of the red district 5 minutes away, but can be avoided if easily shocked !
Try this hotel, but don't expect an upgrade unless you are willing to pay a price way beyond our pockets !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. The city centre of Amsterdam indeed tents to be quite busy and noisy; we are therefore happy to offer you a quiet and tranquil place where you can relax and enjoy your stay in the town.
We hope to welcome you back in Amsterdam ánd The Grand.

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great location in central Amsterdam, walking distance to many tourist areas. Very comfortable hotel, very attentive and professional staff. Never had a bad stay here. Hotel rest. Bridges is a great place, excellent wines and foot. Definitely worth a stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for leaving these wonderful words on Tripadvisor about your recent visit with us.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel, our restaurant and our service. In addition I am happy to read that our central location has helped you to find your way throughout the city.
Thank you again for your compliments and I hope that we may welcome you back in The Grand.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I've traveled quite a lot and I've been to many great hotels in Europe but there is nothing really like this one. Everything was immaculate! attention to details at the highest level. I proposed to my girlfriend there and it was really quite something. The hotel itself is extraordinary. Everything is clean and our room was outstanding. The location couldn't be more perfect. The bed is the best bed I've ever slept in but what makes this hotel perfect is the staff. Let me begin with the concierge, they planned everything for me and it was absolutely amazing. They arranged a saloon boat for a 3 course dinner, bought me some flowers and booked me everything I needed. They are the best concierge team I've ever dealt with. Secondly, the reception staff were helpful, quick check in and check out, they even upgraded my junior suite to another suite because they knew I was proposing. Our butler (yes butlers come with every suite you book) Carlos is really phenomenal, ask him anything and he will do it for you. he made our stay one to remember, he was just simply faultless.
My recommendation is: get a suite (you won't regret it), ask the concierge for anything(and tip them), try the lobster bisque and enjoy sleeping in the world's most comfortable bed.

One more thing is I didn't really quite enjoy my dinner at the Bridges restaurant , mainly because the service was quite poor compared to the Ciel bleu which was more than perfect and much better to be honest. The food was brilliant thou. If you have the budget for both then try both out but if you have to choose definitely the Ciel bleu wins.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.
It is with great pride that I read your kind words about our team, as we all get a lot of satisfaction from guests who show their appreciation. I have therefore shared your review with the entire team.
Through the smallest details we try to give each guest a memorable experience.
We hope to welcome you and your fiancée back in The Grand in the near future, as well as in our restaurant Bridges, Inspired by Ron Blaauw, so that we can prove ourselves a better host.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Not a bad place, but lacking in wow factor. I enjoyed the food and the room was comfortable but it could have been anywhere in the world, I wasn't expecting a big chain hotel type of atmosphere where you could be anywhere on the planet, but that's what I got. Good staff, comfortable rooms, tastey food

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
I would like to thank you for leaving a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to read your positive comments about our staff, the rooms and the food. However, I was sorry to learn that we could not succeed in exceeding your expectations regarding the atmosphere in the hotel. It is our aim to make each and everyone of our guests feel special.
That is why we do hope you will consider staying with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in The Grand.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This place should belong to a fairy tail book/story! If you want to be treated as royalty with first class experience, do yourself a favour and stay here. Easy and fast check-in/out even though it was NYE and a chaos. There was a minor hiccup upon check-in but it was handled with grace and professionalism. They took care of all the NYE planning (dinner and party)
The room was huge and had making views. Bathrooms was luxurious, along with amazing Hermes toiletries and rain shower. Everything you could wish for. Take the complimentary hotel tour, which was once a monastery/convent. So much history and character. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor about your visit in our hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay, the room, the service provided and that you liked our historical tour.
It is our passion to provide all our guests with a memorable experience and I hope, together with the entire team of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, to welcome you again.

Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Great room and awesome location and helpful staff ! Let down buy the greed of the hotel wasn't the cheapest to stay there and needed an extra night but was more expensive for the extra night than the whole weekend , personally thought they were taking advantage of my situation and ruined my stay there ! The rooms were nice and clean and up until then the staff were perfect !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed the central location of the hotel and that our staff has been accommodating during your stay.
However, I am sorry to learn that the end of your stay has been disappointing. It is correct that our prices can vary per day depending on availability.
I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam in the near future.