“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great location in the very centre of Amsterdam.The lobby and public areas are very impressive and the staff were attentive.Our room was small,bed comfortable,the bathroom was of a space saving design.Dinner in Bridges was good however when we decided not to have dessert we were promptly handed the bill.....we were actually still enjoying the remainder of our wine! I would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again but NOT at full rate...and eat out!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank dec o

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days and I must say compared to some of the other "big" names in Amsterdam, this is by far one of the best hotels. It oozes luxury, ambience is amazing, staff is super friendly and moreover location could not be more perfect.

I must say it was an absolutely amazing experience. Every night, staff would love something in my room like Dutch pastries, fruit basket, champagne etc. location is wonderful as it is pretty much walking distance to the "Big square", "red light district", central station, shopping street etc. I had a view of th canal which was excellent. I must say totally worth the price!

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get on the 4 th floor with a view of the canal. Worth it!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marcos_sfo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I can't overstate how fine this place is. Reception very warm and friendly. Design of room coolest I have ever seen. Bathroom fixtures were awesome and I've never noticed fixtures in my life. Stone floor, stone sink, stone shower. Bed very comfortable. I did not want to leave.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pat M
Gothenburg, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Grand itself is a very nice hotel, but a nice hotel must also have a nice restaurant.
The Bridges (Bar part excluded)reminds me more of a cantine without any elegance or refinement.
The meny is boring, tired with nothing to show for a food-junkie!
This reflects unfortuatelly to the attitude of the senior waiter/manager/maitre´d of the restaurant. He could show no flexiblity to suggested alternatives, but could only respond as Sir Negative and Mr No.
Bar people on the contrary were lovely and very customer oriented.
But do not let that let you down, with places like La rive and Vermeer you are in food haven. Lucky you if you go there instead.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sultanen
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

By far the best hotel in Amsterdam what a lovely experience we had on our very short 3 day honeymoon but they made us feel so welcome. The staff is fantastic, the ambience second to none, the beds perfect, the location spot on and the food delicious, what more could I want well time to stay a few extra nights would have made it even better. I can not fault this hotel, we will be back for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I travel for a living and understand that the best hotels in the world are the one's where they know your name. In other words, the level of service and hospitality make you feel right at home. The Sofitel Legand The Grand has one of the finest teams I have ever experienced. Arriving from an red eye from Vancouver, I was able to check in early, the concierge ensured I received my bags immediately, they let me know that if I booked museum passes with them, I would bypass long lines, which I did, their suggestion for dinner was excellent and I was treated like a Queen during breakfast, with my waiter running to and from the exceptional buffet bringing me samples of local food he wanted me to try, AND he had the bartender create a morning elixer to help rid jetlag. The head concierge arranged my seats and checked me in to my flight to Kenya and arranged a taxi to the airport. I would return to Amsterdam just to stay in this hotel again. And as a women often traveling solo, i was in the middle of downtown Amsterdam and felt like I had a team not only caring for me but also looking out for me. It was bliss!

Room Tip: Take the historic tour of the hotel - it is beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelPRVictoria
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Besides the wonderful location, which allows you to walk anywhere you need, this hotel oozes grandness and history.
The contrast of the historical building with the modern and edgy decor really surprised me - public areas and the rooms are all designed with really good taste! The Sofitel "MyBed™" feels like you're sleeping on a cloud...
From check-in to guest relations' manager, everyone was extremely courteous and helpful, not to mention well groomed and smartly dressed - in a way that really caught my attention. Breakfast (served on the "Bridges" restaurant with a very funky and cool feel) is very good and offer a nice variety of cold items and a few hot ones, served to order.
Unfortunately I was there for only one night, but looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple