“Wonderful hotel and location”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here for two nights back in April with my sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and niece. Booked my room as a normal single room - bed was super comfortable, slept like a log, very convenient to all sites, walked everywhere in Amsterdam. Bathroom very large - Hermes toiletries, very spacious room. Concierge staff very helpful. Cost about $800 (paid in advance) for the 2 nights, but I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It is an absolute pleasure to read that you had a comfortable and wonderful stay. As well as that our Clefs d’Ors at the Concierge desk could be at your service.

We all look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Nestled discreetly on the northern perimiter of the Red Light District this converted hotel property is a feast for the eyes.Every room is unique,decorated with a sumptuos array of carpets ,bedspreads, and linens.Our room overlooked the street.I people watched for an hour one evening and I was totally entertained.The location is ideal.You are close to everything that any tourist might desire.We sampled the cuisine of a dozen different restaurants that were within a 15 minute walk.this is not a budget hotel but for a honeymoon or some other special occasion you will have an unforgettable stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are good .I believe it was a private residence.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thank you very much for this delightful story about you stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

It is a pleasure to read your grand words about the designs of our rooms. Every room is indeed unique and offers a blend of modern French design with incorporated details of the rich history of the building. Furthermore, it is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel as well as the view from your room.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed here with friends on a trip organised and paid for by Manchester United FC and was very impressed with the hotel. My room was well appointed and had Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte toiletries which were wonderful and I have gone on to purchase some for myself as I really like the smell of oranges in the summer. I didn't find fault with the hotel and when going back to Amsterdam with my family I intend to stay here.

There was even a guided tour around the hotel to acquaint you with its history.

Its right on the canal and various cafes and bars can be seen across the waterway. I went for a walk in the morning after a free night out to clear my head and unwittingly wandered into the nearby red light district. Being day time I never saw any red lights and jumped out of my skin when a girl rapped on a window to get my attention!! Still I got to see that part of the city which is what most people I know ask about if you say you went Amsterdam.

I want to return to explore more.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

It is a real pleasure to read your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Thank you for sharing these! I have especially enjoyed reading how much you liked the Hèrmes Eau d’Orange Verte toiletries as well as the history of the building. The history of the building goes all the way back to the 15th century. I hope you had the pleasure of joining our daily historical tour.

Furthermore, we are indeed located in the heart of the city, which can bring you sometimes to unexpected places.

We hope that you have the opportunity to explore more of the wonderful city Amsterdam and that we may welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Would be hard to find fault with this beauty of a hotel. Rooms, service, comfort, design, location are all beyond reproach. Really worth mentioning is the restaurant - the quality and value for money are outstanding. Both the menu and wine list have something for all tastes and wallets, way above what you'd get in comparable places for the same budget. Difficult to leave !

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Ben H
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

What a wonderful experience you had here at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam! Thank you for sharing this on TripAdvisor. Our award-winning restaurant Bridges is indeed something which you will not forget that easily. As well as the facilities and services we offer here at The Grand.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We were really impressed with this hotel - it's difficult to know where to start with the compliments but I think the staff have to take the credit primarily for being so helpful, courteous and characterful. The reception area was decorated so wonderfully for Christmas with a beautiful aroma which made us feel very festive and also complimented the tasteful designer decor which did not compromise the heritage of the building. Location was central yet felt very secure and tucked away and we will definitely return if we are in Amsterdam. Maybe next time we'll return in the summer to see Amsterdam in a different season - the Sofitel certainly made the under par weather less noticeable. Thank you to all staff - keep up the hard work. Bravo!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ActonFido

I would like to thank you for your beautiful words about your stay here at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Reading your experience, makes me very proud on the entire team here at The Grand. It is just wonderful to read that we had to opportunity to indulge you and give you a true Christmas feeling right in the heart of Amsterdam.

I, and on behalf of the entire team, look forward to welcoming you back in the summer.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had a layover in Amsterdam coming from London, once again we found a fantastic property in this trip. Like I said we only had one day but the service was extremely helpful, the concierge tried to make the most of our stay and he succeeded. The property is beautiful and excellent location. It;s a mix of modern yet keeping the history. We had some friends over for drinks and although the bar was closed, they opened it for us and actually we brought more people, we thought that was a nice touch. Buffet breakfast full of excellent choices, you will not need to eat plane food going back to east coast in the states.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

It is a pleasure to read the grand words you wrote about our service. We do not only provide a personalized service, but like you have experienced in our bar, we also exceed all of our guest’s expectations.

Besides that, I am also very happy to learn that you have enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel as well as the central location. And just before you returned home, that you have enjoyed the extensive breakfast in our restaurant Bridges.

I am delighted that just before you returned home we were able to create a memorable experience and we all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.