Business took me to this wonderful hotel in the heart of Amsterdam, and it was a great stay at a great hotel. Though it is in spitting distance of the famed Red Light District, this venue is very much a high-class operation, from the historic buildings and grounds to the fragrant and trendy lobby to the wonderful hospitality of the staff. The tourist spots are mostly within walking distance, and if you venture out in one direction, you get to Dam Square to see the Palace and shopping areas, another direction to the Red Light District, and another direction to the Amstel River and some local neighborhood establishments, Rembrandt Square, and flower (and tulip bulb) markets, all within five minutes from the hotel front gates. Don't get me wrong, this is an expensive hotel, so definitely a splurge if on vacation, but well worth it for the service, ambience, location, and history. The buildings date to the 1400's, and the main building was once (relatively recently in the big picture) used as City Hall. Having never been to Amsterdam before, getting around the canals takes a little getting used to, but in the daylight it is easier to find your way around and all the water adds so much to the charm of the city. I would go back again if offered the chance, and would recommend The Grand Sofitel to anyone looking for an opulent stay in the heart of a great European city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel