“GOINGQUOING”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denham, United Kingdom
“GOINGQUOING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is our favourite hotel, we have been going to the Grand on and off for some 15 years. It is a beautiful building, great rooms. Everything about the place is relaxing and just nice. The staff are always friendly and what is nice you see the same faces often.
Treat yourself.
Its right on the edge of the red light district and 2 minutes walk to the Dam Square.
Back again soon i hope.
ps make sure breakfast is included.
room 204 this time overlooking the canal

Room Tip: spoil yourself for your birthday/anniversary book room 102 or the rooms at the top
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
We would like to thank you for sharing this wonderful review regarding your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam . It is an absolute honour to read your lovely words about my team.

We are very proud to have loyal guests just like you who are always enjoying their stay and who are looking forward to their return to The Grand.

The entire team looks forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand for 3 nights. The room the service and the spa facility are true luxury. Everyone was supper nice the room was large and overlooking the canal. Our package deal included breakfast and it was nice since we usually get hungry early in the morning however in sofitel's web site they charge 35 euros per person and I think it is way too much for breakfast. The location us central by the red light so if you don't mind that or if you don't mind few more pot stores you would be OK. We will for sure be back. Look for deals with a travel agents we got a relatively good deal considering it is one of the nicest hotels in Amsterdam. The spa area is nice and relaxing especially after s full day if running around town
It is free to use the pool work out room and sauna.
Enjoy your stay we sure did!

• Stayed November 2012
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am happy to hear you rank us as one of the nicest hotels in Amsterdam and will return to The Grand in the future.
I sincerely regret to learn that the price of breakfast seemed too high. I do however hope that the selection of high quality products did meet your expectation? I truly hope you will contact us directly for a next stay in Amsterdam in order for us to offer you the best available rates.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

I am sorry to say I really felt uncomfortable in this hotel, but let me start off with what I liked: I liked the idea of it - a historic building on town; the choice at breakfast, including all sorts of bread, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, eggs, bacon etc. What I didn't like: the price of breakfast - 35 euros, I ask you! The service at breakfast was first rate, but the lighting was poor meaning I was straining to read my newspaper, and it's all a bit pretentious, what with its 'detox bar' etc. I had bacon and poached eggs - very good, but made the mistake of ordering a hash brown - or 'hashed brownie' as the waiter who delivered it called it - it might as well have been as it was rather too greasy for my liking. The public spaces are very pleasant, but I was unhappy with my room - it was compact, shall we say. It was a long walk from the lifts, not something I like as a woman travelling alone on business and often returning late from a business meeting. Checking in, mid evening, also seemed to take an age as there were only two members of staff doing it and both were occupied with what I can only describe as some fairly dubious characters - one obviously hailed from the former Soviet Union and was waving around wads of cash, professing he had no credit card, the other was an ageing hippie who seemed to be a bit high. When I finally got to my room, it had an air of 'cheap refurb' about it. As mentioned before, it was small, cramped even, and there was a faint mustiness in the air. Never mind, I thought, I'm tired and just need a sleep. Whilst towels and sheets were quite nice and the Hermes toiletries fabulous, the bed was small and far too soft for me - I know that is a matter of personal preference, so I apologise if a soft mattress is what you like. The glass shelves in the bathroom were quite dusty - mmmm, not what I'd expect really.
There was a thoughtful bottle of water set out on a tray on the table - but could I find a bottle opener? I hunted high and low - none to be found, so had to resort to the water in the minibar at 6 euros. The room charge was 250 euros, and with breakfast, water and taxes the total came to just over 300 euros which for a poor night's sleep is outrageous. I wouldn't be anxious to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Minnie12359
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

First of all, It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the location, the rich history of our building as well as the atmosphere in our hotel. The building already dates from the 15th century and always remained its glory right in the middle of the city.

I am also happy to read that you have enjoyed the extensive breakfast we offer in our restaurant Bridges, but I am surprised that the décor and lightning was not appealing to you. I would like to assure you that these comments will be taken into action.

Furthermore, I am very disappointed to learn that you felt uncomfortable throughout your stay. It is our first priority that our guests feel comfortable and that we create a home away from home. Therefore, on behalf of the entire team, I would like to offer our sincere apologies for these discomforts.

I would like to invite you to personally discuss these matters further. Please inform us with your personal details via telephone number +31 20 555 3 111 or via email address H2783@sofitel.com in order for me to contact you on a time which is convenient for you.

abuja
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I travel a lot and to many cities in the course of my job , was in Amsterdam for 3 nights at this excellent hotel. The location is central albeight away from all the noise and bustle .its within walking distance to the famous Dam square and environs as well as the central station. The room was great, service excellent and the food at the Bridges restaurant was divine. would definately return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Every time it is just enchanting to read such wonderful words about The Grand, and especially from such a frequent traveler as you.

It is indeed correct that, although we are right in the middle of the centre, the hotel offers an oasis of tranquility.
We are pleased to read that you also had the opportunity to experience our award-winning restaurant Bridges.

The entire team and I are looking forward to your return.

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I consider myself fairly traveled...having traveled extensively for over 30 years in business, and now that I have retired, to some even more exotic places. But the Amsterdam Sofitel is certainly the best hotel I've ever stayed in (which includes others like the Waldorf, Helmsley , St. Regis and the Mandarin). Never have I been so impressed with the service, the attention to detail and the comfort. We arrived from the US around 9 am and, of course, rooms are not ready until later in the day. We were both zombie-like due to lack of sleep. The front desk offered us the couches in the library,with its fireplace,red colors, fresh flowers and cozy atmosphere. We checked into our room --126--(more about that location later) and I was truly amazed at the attention to detail . The room was beautiful with black and eggplant accents, and a blackout curtain of deep eggplant. The toiletries were Hermes. And towel warmers in the bathroom! Nespresso coffee maker. Rainfall shower. Plush bathrobes and slippers. Refrigerator and safe. wifi in rooms. Chocolates at night. Great beds and pillows. The only downside was that our room, on the first floor, faced the back of the hotel and the street became noisy in early morning when commuters started heading out.

The staff was unbelievable. Each and every one was professional, efficient and pleasant. We took the hotel tour one morning and I had my coffee cup with me..I finished the coffee..and one of the managers took the empty cup from me. Another night when I requested some milk for my morning coffee, they delivered the pitcher to my door within a minute. Among the best was Jasper, the chief sommelier...he was always there to answer questions and provide service..he was quite impressive.

When you order hot chocolate in the library the waitress serves it with a silver glitter glove. It's in honor of Michael Jackson.who was in Amsterdam on tour in the 70's staying at the hotel..all of the paparazzi were outside freezing..so he requested that the hotel send them out hot chocolate with milk (not water based).

It's an absolutely beautifully restored hotel..it started out as a convent in the 1400's ,has served as the home of the King of Holland, and has been a hotel since the mid 90's. excellent restaurant also.

Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
It made me feel proud to read that you have experienced Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam as “the best hotel you have ever stayed in.” It is the best compliment we could possibly get from a frequent traveler such as you and I thank you for sharing this on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is an enormous encouragement to the whole team to keep on impressing our guest with professional, efficient and pleasant service. A special thanks for your wonderful words about our sommelier Jasper, he is indeed very knowledgeable and passionate about his profession and always providing outstanding service.

Please come back to Amsterdam. We cannot wait to welcome you back to your very favorite hotel!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Three day trip with wife to see the highs and lows (!) of Smsterdam. This hotel is perfectly situated and within walking distance of Dam Square and Light Square is one stop on the tram.
The rooms were fabulous, very comfortable lots of space and worth paying a bit of a premium to experience.
Good leisure facilities if that's what you need as well.
We only had breakfast in our package which was very good, but typically European so don't go expecting a fry-up !
Overall the place cannot be faulted at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I agree that visitors to The Grand are indeed very lucky to enjoy being in such a fantastic location, close to all the wonders that Amsterdam has to offer. Thank you for your comment regarding breakfast choices, which we are currently reviewing. Finally, I would like to thank you for the beautiful compliment that The Grand cannot be faulted at all.

NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Spent three nights at the Grand and loved it. Although the check-in was problematic - they did not have our first night's reservation, it worked out fine. Fortunately, we had our paperwork and after a short time the front desk upgraded our room and sent us off to a beautiful one bedroom suite, with a butler, overlooking the canal. The room was fantastic from the great bedding, comfort, design, bathroom amenities, and storage space. Although the butler never showed up during the entire stay, the rest of the hotel service was incredible. The restaurant was top notch for breakfast. Loved the dutch pancakes!!! Pre-reserved dinner (a month and a half in advance) at the restaurant and enjoyed a delicious four course tasting menu. Service was a bit too slow and snobby, but attentive. We could not sit any longer to eat the dessert, so the waiter had it sent and displayed beautifully in our room.

The art work throughout the hotel is incredible. Everyone was warm and friendly. Would stay here again in a minute. As everyone else has mentioned, the building was originally the city hall. It has been renovated amazingly. Location was great, easy to walk everywhere. Great luxury hotel choice in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay and at the same time making some very important observations. The first point you raised, regarding your check in and the butler service is a matter I will discuss internally in order to prevent future misunderstandings. I am however delighted to hear you enjoyed the Suite, the Sofitel MyBed, the ‘Top notch’ breakfast and the design which is the responsibility of our well-known French interior designer Sybille de Margerie. Secondly, I have taken on board your remarks regarding your dinner and this is under review.

Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.