“Spent 3 fabulous nights at the The Grand” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Muscat, Oman
“Spent 3 fabulous nights at the The Grand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I travel to Amsterdam on business several times a year. My only home away from home is the Grand.The combination of the great location, on two canals and a proximity to Daum square and a walking distance from the train station, its beautiful renovation, the fabulous Bridges restaurant and finally the fabulous staff that were professional and eager to please makes Sofitel Grand my choice for pleasure or business. Cant wait till I get back.

Room Tip: The suites come with massive rain showers and steam. Fabulous.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Buddakhan
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I would like to thank you for expressing your loyalty in the lovely words you wrote about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read that the hotel feels like a second home for you. It is always our aim to provide the highest level of personalized service.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back at The Grand in the near future.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

After staying at the hotel d el Europe I thought I'd found the best hotel Amsterdam center had to offer. That was untill I stayed at the Sofitel the grand. This place as everything from the perfect location to the breakfast. Not to mention the friendly staff and second to none service. I will defenatly be returning.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I would like to thank you for your gracious words about your experience at The Grand, especially the beautiful words about my team. It makes me very proud and gives a feeling of recognition and appreciation.

It is always our aim to provide the highest level of personalized service in order to create a home away from home and create a comfortable atmosphere for our guests.

We all hope to welcome you back at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam soon.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I rate this hotel as the best I've stayed in. It occupies a beautiful, historic building sandwiched between two canals in the heart of old 'Dam. It's at the bottom of the Red Light district, but don't let that put you off - this is the heart of the old centre, and the hotel's locality south of the Damstraat bridge which traverses O.Voorburgwal is actually quite peaceful at night.
Our room was large and well - appointed with a canal view. The bed, oh the bed. The most comfortable bed I've had the pleasure to sleep in. Hermes toiletries. Spotlessly clean.
Service and food are outstanding and what you expect of a hotel of this calibre. Concierge was excellent.
In summary, I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. A hotel which richly deserves it's 5-star rating.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
The whole team and I thank you for taking the time to mention your perfect experience at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam. We are very proud to readthat you rate this hotel as the best you have ever stayed in. It is the best compliment we can possibly get!

I can tell that Sofitel Luxury Hotels has achieved its goal in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds in the most comfortable bed you have ever slept in. Did you know that you can buy it online. Don't hesitate, indulge yourself also at home.

We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in our beautiful historical building in the heart of Amsterdam.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed a week and everything was perfection! The large, historic hotel is just beautiful with a hip, boutique feeling. We fell in love with the impeccable service, friendly staff, lovely rooms, heavenly beds and gorgeous grounds. As an added bonus, reception brought up a surprise birthday cake for my husband's birthday the first day we arrived - we were very impressed by this gesture and it was chocolate mousse deliciousness!

In addition, the Sospa deep tissue massage was the perfect cure for jet lag - it was actually one of the best massages I have ever experienced. Our only unfavorable experience was at the hotel's pool area after our couples massage. The hotel's pool, steam room and sauna are all located in the Sospa and they allow children to play there until 5 or 6 pm. When we arrived, there were five children screaming and jumping around the pool which momentarily put a damper on our relaxing, massage experience. Still, I would return to the spa and simply avoid the pool area.

Overall, we will definitely stay at this hotel again and look forward to returning soon! I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Amsterdam. Thank you, Sofitel Grand for making our getaway so wonderful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I thank you very much for your generous feedback regarding our high standard of services.

We try our utmost to please and surprise our guests at any possible occasion. We were then very happy to enhance your experience with the birthday cake provided to you.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue with the noise in the pool area. I have passed your feedback on to avoid any future occurrence. At the same time I am happy to read that you have very much enjoyed the deep tissue massage and we are proud you stated that is was one of the best you have ever experienced. Thank you for that.

It is excited to read that you want to return to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam in the near future and the entire team is looking forward to impress you with our impeccable service again.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

pure elegance, pure sophistication! My husband and I spent 4 nights at this wonderful hotel at the beginning of November. We were there to celebrate his 40th birthday and this amazingly generous hotel gave us a complimentary double upgrade from a Luxury Room to a Prestige Suite! We were then, and still are now, blown away by this gesture, it just made our stay all the more special. But, be assured, we would still be writing this review even without this upgrade, because this hotel deserves every piece of praise it receives. It's decor, it's location, it's breakfast, it's service and most of all it's staff are second to none. This, especially, was illustrated to us when we did have one issue during our stay - when we returned to our room on the day of my husband's birthday at 4.15 in the afternoon we found it still hadn't been cleaned. We weren't overly pleased, but within 5 minutes of my call to reception a lady from housekeeping arrived. We left the room at that point and went to the front desk to voice our disappointment. The staff there could not have been more apologetic, we were led to the lounge and presented with a complimentary drink while we waited, and then a lady from Guest Relations came to see us and, as a token of their apology, they immediately said we could have a late check-out on the day we were to leave. From our point of view that is a measure of a truly great hotel - not that things don't go wrong, but the way they handle it when they do, and this gets top marks for that.

Lastly, just a big shout out to Dennis, the barman in the Flying Dutchman - a great guy who we had a lovely chat with. Go see him in his bar, it's tucked away in a corner round from the reception but worth a visit just for him alone!

We basically cannot recommend this hotel enough - we didn't want to leave and we definitely want to return!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I just love reading such wonderful stories! We cannot be anymore enchanted by the grand words you wrote about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It made me feel very proud on all the Ambassadors.

It has always been our passion to pamper all of our guests, and even more when they are staying with us for such a special occasion. We just cannot thank you enough for sharing such magnificent experience on TripAdvisor.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel was absolutely unfaultable from start to finish. We arrived on the Friday morning and were instantly made to feel extremely welcome with staff happy and smiley and available to help with every need. The room was beautiful, bed super comfortable, and bathrooms clean and top notch. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the staff couldnt do enough to help and the service was impeccable. We were also really pleased when we signed out that we had not been charged for every tiny detail like many hotels would- we were only charged for what we had fairly used. This hotel made my holiday- it was perfect!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am truly happy to hear that you have had a perfect stay at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and thank you for sharing your extremely positive words on trip-advisor.

We serve all of our guests with passion and a smile, and we are proud to read that you felt this during your entire stay. The ‘My Bed’ concept, which is developed by Sofitel Luxury hotels, Is indeed very comfortable and designed to make you feel like sleeping on clouds. We are glad we succeed.

All Sofitel ambassadors are looking forward to your next stay!

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fantastic location, beautiful deco - very friendly staff, willing to go out of their way to help you. The location couldnt be more central either, its right behind the Dam Sq by the canal, but set back so it was peaceful and quiet at night. One negative was the restaurant - great quality food, but lacking in taste and quantity - its a little minimal chic! I found my self finishing the bread after the meal, which is never a good thing...just order BIG then you will be fine. To summarize...the stay here was fantastic a top 5* I would love to return to, although quite pricey...but the Hermes bathroom products more thean made up for that ;-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read you felt comfortable and found the hotel atmosphere very peaceful.

Another utmost reward is to hear that you are very satisfied about the service you received from my Ambassadors. Exquisite service is our priority in order to give all our guests a magnifique stay.

Nonetheless, I regret to learn the disappointing experience you had in our restaurant Bridges. At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam we consider your feedback as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests. You can be assured that your comment has been taken into action.

We truly hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Amsterdam.