“The best place to stay in Amsterdam!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
UP TO -40% OFF
Ranked #11 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntington Beach, California
“The best place to stay in Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed a week and everything was perfection! The large, historic hotel is just beautiful with a hip, boutique feeling. We fell in love with the impeccable service, friendly staff, lovely rooms, heavenly beds and gorgeous grounds. As an added bonus, reception brought up a surprise birthday cake for my husband's birthday the first day we arrived - we were very impressed by this gesture and it was chocolate mousse deliciousness!

In addition, the Sospa deep tissue massage was the perfect cure for jet lag - it was actually one of the best massages I have ever experienced. Our only unfavorable experience was at the hotel's pool area after our couples massage. The hotel's pool, steam room and sauna are all located in the Sospa and they allow children to play there until 5 or 6 pm. When we arrived, there were five children screaming and jumping around the pool which momentarily put a damper on our relaxing, massage experience. Still, I would return to the spa and simply avoid the pool area.

Overall, we will definitely stay at this hotel again and look forward to returning soon! I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Amsterdam. Thank you, Sofitel Grand for making our getaway so wonderful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I thank you very much for your generous feedback regarding our high standard of services.

We try our utmost to please and surprise our guests at any possible occasion. We were then very happy to enhance your experience with the birthday cake provided to you.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue with the noise in the pool area. I have passed your feedback on to avoid any future occurrence. At the same time I am happy to read that you have very much enjoyed the deep tissue massage and we are proud you stated that is was one of the best you have ever experienced. Thank you for that.

It is excited to read that you want to return to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam in the near future and the entire team is looking forward to impress you with our impeccable service again.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

pure elegance, pure sophistication! My husband and I spent 4 nights at this wonderful hotel at the beginning of November. We were there to celebrate his 40th birthday and this amazingly generous hotel gave us a complimentary double upgrade from a Luxury Room to a Prestige Suite! We were then, and still are now, blown away by this gesture, it just made our stay all the more special. But, be assured, we would still be writing this review even without this upgrade, because this hotel deserves every piece of praise it receives. It's decor, it's location, it's breakfast, it's service and most of all it's staff are second to none. This, especially, was illustrated to us when we did have one issue during our stay - when we returned to our room on the day of my husband's birthday at 4.15 in the afternoon we found it still hadn't been cleaned. We weren't overly pleased, but within 5 minutes of my call to reception a lady from housekeeping arrived. We left the room at that point and went to the front desk to voice our disappointment. The staff there could not have been more apologetic, we were led to the lounge and presented with a complimentary drink while we waited, and then a lady from Guest Relations came to see us and, as a token of their apology, they immediately said we could have a late check-out on the day we were to leave. From our point of view that is a measure of a truly great hotel - not that things don't go wrong, but the way they handle it when they do, and this gets top marks for that.

Lastly, just a big shout out to Dennis, the barman in the Flying Dutchman - a great guy who we had a lovely chat with. Go see him in his bar, it's tucked away in a corner round from the reception but worth a visit just for him alone!

We basically cannot recommend this hotel enough - we didn't want to leave and we definitely want to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I just love reading such wonderful stories! We cannot be anymore enchanted by the grand words you wrote about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It made me feel very proud on all the Ambassadors.

It has always been our passion to pamper all of our guests, and even more when they are staying with us for such a special occasion. We just cannot thank you enough for sharing such magnificent experience on TripAdvisor.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel was absolutely unfaultable from start to finish. We arrived on the Friday morning and were instantly made to feel extremely welcome with staff happy and smiley and available to help with every need. The room was beautiful, bed super comfortable, and bathrooms clean and top notch. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the staff couldnt do enough to help and the service was impeccable. We were also really pleased when we signed out that we had not been charged for every tiny detail like many hotels would- we were only charged for what we had fairly used. This hotel made my holiday- it was perfect!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am truly happy to hear that you have had a perfect stay at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and thank you for sharing your extremely positive words on trip-advisor.

We serve all of our guests with passion and a smile, and we are proud to read that you felt this during your entire stay. The ‘My Bed’ concept, which is developed by Sofitel Luxury hotels, Is indeed very comfortable and designed to make you feel like sleeping on clouds. We are glad we succeed.

All Sofitel ambassadors are looking forward to your next stay!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fantastic location, beautiful deco - very friendly staff, willing to go out of their way to help you. The location couldnt be more central either, its right behind the Dam Sq by the canal, but set back so it was peaceful and quiet at night. One negative was the restaurant - great quality food, but lacking in taste and quantity - its a little minimal chic! I found my self finishing the bread after the meal, which is never a good thing...just order BIG then you will be fine. To summarize...the stay here was fantastic a top 5* I would love to return to, although quite pricey...but the Hermes bathroom products more thean made up for that ;-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read you felt comfortable and found the hotel atmosphere very peaceful.

Another utmost reward is to hear that you are very satisfied about the service you received from my Ambassadors. Exquisite service is our priority in order to give all our guests a magnifique stay.

Nonetheless, I regret to learn the disappointing experience you had in our restaurant Bridges. At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam we consider your feedback as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests. You can be assured that your comment has been taken into action.

We truly hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Amsterdam.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When staff who haven't even met you know your name, then you understand service., My short stay in Sofitel Legend The Grand was one of the best hotel experiences I can remember - from the taxi's turn into the almost private courtyard of the hotel (formerly two convents joined together), through reception and the exceptional concierge service and into the hotel - beautifully styled in a combination of classical and modern that works rather than jars. I was lucky enough to have been booked into one of four apartments, which are split level suites in connected canal houses, complete with personal butler service and so on. These are not mentioned on the hotel's Web site but worth enquiring about if your visit to the city is for a special occasion. No criticism of the room or the hotel - a delight from start to finish. Even better, The Grand is a short stroll from the centre of the city and the key museums - though you may find it hard to leave its comfort and genuine friendliness.

Room Tip: Facing the internal garden.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
I would like to thank you for your gracious words about your experience at The Grand, especially the beautiful words about my team. It makes me very proud and gives a feeling of recognition and appreciation.

It is always our aim to provide the highest level of personalized service in order to create a home away from home and create a comfortable atmosphere for our guests.

We all hope to welcome you back at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam soon.

Rancho Mirage, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Honestly this hotel would have gotten a 3 if not for the spa and exercise area. It is physically lovely. On check in the reception was great but we were handed off to another person who was to "show" us the way to our room. She pointed to either end of the lobby and said something that we could go either way; she was difficult for us to understand. I might add she was the only person that we couldn't understand that we encountered there. The point was we went to the wrong elevators and couldn't get to our room this way. We figured that out and got to our room. It was lovely but a split level that was dangerous at night because this hotel has the best black out curtains I have ever seen. If you have any issue with your balance, your knees, or your vision make sure they give you a one level room. In our room there was a banging rattling noise we heard at night almost constant. We should complained but we didn't so they couldn't help with that. The bed was great! The Bridges restaurant was great but pricey. Got great restaurant advice from the concierge. The indoor pool, sauna, and work out area saved the stay for us. The breakfast is great but unless you get a good deal on a rate where it's included it was 36€ each and not worth that price.

Room Tip: I am not sure where there would not be noise but we faced the inner courtyard and something made noi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I thank you for telling us about your overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and for pointing out your satisfaction regarding the So|Spa and the exercise area. I also thank you for your positive feedback on our award winning restaurant Bridges.

I can tell that we have achieved our goal in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds with our leading product ‘MyBed’. This unique bed concept created by Sofitel Luxury Hotels is also available online.

I am truly sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue during your check in. We strive to assist every guest to their room and provide detailed information about the room and hotel services. We are very sorry we did not fully accompanied you upon your arrival which led to this inconvenience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the future in order to prove ourselves as better hosts and make your stay a magnifique one!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My goodness, the service at this hotel was outstanding and to the level you'd find in Asia. I can't vouch for the rooms as we only in the private dining rooms during an evening event. True 5+ service, food and wine were exceptional, a delightful evening. I can only imagine what it would be like to stay there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
I am really pleased to hear that you have had such an "exceptional experience" at our restaurant Bridges in Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and I thank you for sharing this on trip-advisor.

We pay an extreme attention to details regarding our way of looking after all of our guests. The team and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and give you the chance to experience our other services as well. We trust you will love it!