“Perfect home base in a wonderful city”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #13 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was our first trip to Amsterdam. We wanted to stay in the center of the city, and in a nice place that would serve as our home away from home. The Sofitel Grand was terrific. Our room was spacious, functional, beautiful, and even had wonderful views of one of Amsterdam's famous canals. It was tastefully contemporary, which is our preference. The staff was fantastic--welcoming, helpful, always friendly, and always professional. The amenities in the hotel were very nice. We had our best meal of our stay in their restaurant Bridges (we reviewed that separately), greatly enjoyed the "library," a very comfortable room in which one could get food and drink while enjoying books, newspapers, and a fireplace, and the outdoor courtyard was beautiful. breakfast was included with our package and it was a wonderful buffet that included many local delicacies.

The hotel is walking distance from most of the major attractions for first-time visitors to Amsterdam. We greatly enjoyed out first trip to Amsterdam and will return. When we do, we'll stay here again. No need for us to consider alternatives.

Room Tip: The canal views are terrific if you can get a room with one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

We are delighted to read that your first visit to Amsterdam was such an enjoyable one. Your words have served as an encouragement to all Sofitel Ambassadors to keep on providing such high standard of services.

The Executive Chef felt really proud when hearing that you have had such an enjoyable meal at our restaurant Bridges as he uses only the best products.

Do please contact us directly when you know your travel plans for the future, and we would be happy to make the necessary arrangements. We look forward to continuing to be your home away from home..

Robert-Jan Woltering

Write a ReviewReviews (2,706)

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Normally we stay at the Dylan, when we are in Amsterdam. This time, we stayed in the city with a few friends and they all decided to stay at the Grand, so we did too. We booked the Luxury room and it was okay. I like the style of the rooms at the Dylan much better, their interior design is really great, but I decided not to whine about that.

The point is that the location of the Dylan is so much better, even though the tourists think that they are in the center of everything when they stay at the Grand, they are not. It is a very touristy location. Even the red light district seems as if it is a set up only for the tourists, but except that there are so much more better and nicer neighborhoods in Amsterdam! The surroundings of the Dylan are great, but also when you go to the Okura Hotel and you walk around a little, you'll see that that neighborhood (called "the Pijp") is really friendly and fun. Quiet but great at the same time.

Anyway, one thing I didn't like about our room in the Grand was the shower. There was a bathtub and a rain shower. Rainshowers are okay, if there is another shower tap too, one where you can shower without getting your hair all wet. That is impossible in a rain shower. There was a small hand shower, but that is not what I mean. When we stay in 5*-hotels like this, that are renovated, you normally find a choice of taps in the shower.

But that was not what annoyed us the most. What was really annoying was that in the morning at 08:15 housekeeping rang at the doorbell, to ask if they could start cleaning. We found that unbelievable. They rang at other doors too, so they must have waken (a really loud sound!) many more people.
How is it possible that housekeeping can even THINK of starting to clean rooms at 08:15??

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Your feedback is considered as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests.

I am surprised to read that our location was not what you expected it to be. We are right in the middle of the city centre, but due to the structure of the building and especially the courtyard, we offer an oases of tranquility.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the fact you have been disturbed by our Housekeeping department early in the morning. This is certainly not our style and I would like to assure you that this matter has been taken into action.

I do hope, together with all the Ambassadors of The Grand, that we may welcome you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to personally discuss these matters further.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Before our business visit, we were recommended by our friends who stayed in this hotel before.When we arrived , we understood that they were right.The location was good, the food was nice.If we have to visit Amsterdam one more time , we eill be there sure.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you very much for sharing such nice feedback. Please do also thank your friends for recommending Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I am very pleased to read that we were able to create a memorable stay and we all look very much forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our first visit to the Sofitel Legend and we will return.
Quite exceptional customer service,beautiful accommodation and a great restaurant.
The location is perfect,though the red light district is 100 metres away.
I now understand the toys of Christian Grey !!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Brad,

I am very proud to read that we were able to give you a true 5-star experience. It is always our aim to pamper all of our guests here at The Grand.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were in Europe on business and had a spare two days before having to return home. We decided to visit Amsterdam. A travel agent recommended this hotel and I was so glad they did. We travel a fair bit through Europe and America and this hotel had the best service we have ever received. From the check-in staff to the cleaners they were all delightful and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were beautifully appointed and the position of the hotel was very central. Breakfast was magnificent with great variety. Highly recommend this hotel,

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such wonderful feedback from an experienced traveler. Please also thank your travel agent for recommending our hotel. Our passion is to indulge all our guests with our extensive service.

It makes me proud to read that all the Ambassadors of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam contributed to your magnificent stay.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Fantastic stay.... Booked a suite and was lucky to be upgraded to apartment/suite.
All staff could not be more helpfully ,reception Ladies your amazing 10 out of 10 (I never give 10,s)
Luxury , relaxing, Stylish and history make this hotel the grand place it is.
Every body must have a bit of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam in there life time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HotHotJoe

Thank you very much for your delightful review about your experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Especially for the attentive words you wrote about the ladies at Reception. I am pleased that you got to experience the high services in each and every department.

It is indeed the blend of contemporary design with the rich history of the building which makes our hotel truly grand.

I hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

When visiting Amsterdam I often stay at the Krasnapolsky or Swissotel. Upon checking the listings to book a room for a much needed vacation, I saw the reviews for the Sofitel Grand which looked like it was going to be extra luxurious. It was almost twice the price per night as the Krasnapolsky, but as this was my first vacation in years I decided to splurge a little & go for it. This would be a mistake.

Entering the hotel for the first time, I was struck at the size of the lobby. From the online pictures it seemed much larger, but in reality is surprisingly small. Walking through, the decor looked avant garde. There were beautiful assorted bronze statues of naked women and men adorning the floor, some in sexual positions. Inside the lobby was an expensive, trendy looking restaurant.

I approach the front desk where two very attractive young women check me in. I'm given a room on the first floor and ask if they have something higher. They gave me a room on the second floor. Upon entering the room I was very surprised to see it was small, perhaps 1/2 the size of most of the rooms at the Krasnapolsky. Entering the modern style bathroom I noticed there was no bathtub. I don't usually take baths in hotel rooms, but I wanted to relax on this trip and have the option to do so. I called the front desk to learn that the type of room I booked did not include a bathtub. For that, they said, I'd need to upgrade to the next level of room which would cost an additional 50 Euros per night (~US$65). I wasn't happy about it but really needed to start my vacation and didn't want to deal with changing hotels and eventually gave in.

The young lady at the front desk came to help me move to a new room, but upon entering- it just didn't look inviting. Besides worn and drab colors and textures, the only chair in the room was stained in a truly filthy manner. It did have a tub, but a very narrow one. When I went to get a tissue, the box in the bathroom was empty (save for a single one on top that was folded as a decoration). I began to realize that booking this hotel was a mistake. I contemplated canceling the entire stay but was hoping to avoid the hassle of doing so and moving to another hotel. Exhausted from 14 hours of traveling I absent mindedly accepted the room against my better judgement because I just wanted to get to sleep.

After a 2 hour nap, I awoke to my surroundings. Over the next hour, looking at the body fluid soaked chair, peeling wall finishes and overall dreariness, I couldn't accept the idea of spending the rest of my vacation in such an environment. I went downstairs to the front desk to see about canceling and the gentleman there politely asked if he could instead try and find a better room for me. I hesitated, he reassured me, I agreed to look at another room. We entered a room overlooking the courtyard- which he explained would be good because it would be quieter than one facing the street, I liked that. It was cleaner and less run down, with a (also narrow) bathtub- I accepted it.

Jet lagged, I got to sleep around 6am after putting the "do not disturb" sign on my door. 11am the next morning the phone rang, when I went to answer- I discovered the cordless phone in the room didn't work (wouldn't hold a charge). I ran to the bathroom to answer from the corded phone there. It was housekeeping, they wanted to know when they could enter to clean the room.

They tell you wifi is included, but it's at a very slow bandwidth (think 1200 baud modem). They do have hi speed wifi, but charge 20Euros/day for that.

My second night there I went to sleep around 4am only to be awoken three hours later by the sound of heavy construction. Apparently the hotel had decided to renovate their cobblestone courtyard. The very same courtyard the desk clerks had originally pointed out to me would provide me with extra quiet. They were sawing and hammering rocks 30 feet from my window… a window which, unlike most modern hotels, was an old style wooden double hung with single pane glass. Every noise in the courtyard sounded as if it was right there in the room with me. This went on the entire day. Had they told me they'd be doing such work, there's no way I would have accepted the room.

Later that night I tried using the stylish looking yet very narrow bathtub. It was an exercise in futility. Long, deep and very narrow with sharp, rectangular corners and edges, we're talking more of a toaster slot than a bathtub. I'm 5'7", 170 lbs and I barely fit inside. No way an average American adult would fit in that thing. Not even the tall and slim Dutch could make themselves comfortable in such a ridiculous excuse for a tub. At the foot of the "tub" is an LCD television with remote, hmmm… maybe watching tv or some good music would help… I tried every input, every setting, there was no data coming into it. Nothing but snow on all channels and inputs- like the cordless phone, it simply didn't work.

After giving up on the tub I realized it was late again. I wanted to sleep late the next morning but was concerned about being awoken by the construction again. I called the front desk to ask if such work would again take place the following morning. Their answer was, "we don't know".
I thought I hadn't heard right and said,
"you don't know?".
"that's right sir".

As I hung up the phone I became upset that my first vacation in two years was being wasted. "Life is too short for this nonsense…", I had enough. Without checking out or canceling at the "Grand", I grabbed a bag and walked 4 blocks to the Krasnapolsky in the middle of the night- where I didn't have to play Russian roulette for a room without stained furniture, where the phone worked, where the television worked, where real high speed wifi was free, where the bathtub fit an adult human and where I could sleep late to my hearts content with double-paned insulated windows providing me with serene, quiet relaxation and tranquility during my final two nights in Amsterdam.

The Sofitel is all about form over function. It has the art sculptures in the lobby, it has the trendy, expensive restaurant, the staff all greet you in French with "bonjour"'s and "merci"'s"- but unfortunately there is no substance whatsoever behind it all.

The French dictionary defines "Grand" as:
"Whose dimensions exceed the average for its class: A big house. A child tall for his age. Whose size, importance, the number, the amount is relatively large."

The English dictionary defines it as:
"Impressive in size, appearance, or general effect".

With a modest lobby and small, sparse rooms, this is simply not the case with the Sofitel and it's a misnomer to call it such. If I never go back to this hotel it will be too soon.

Room Tip: Try the rooms in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
20  Thank Eyebe
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

I would like to thank for your extensive feedback. Your feedback is considered as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests.

I am surprised to read that our lobby was not that appealing to you. Our building dates already from the 15th century when it initially started as a convent. During an extensive renovation, we have combined the original details with a contemporary French design. Furthermore, it is indeed correct that we offer rooms with and without bad in order to meet the preferences of all our guests.

I am very disappointed to read that we were not able to give you a true grand experience and especially regarding the experience you had in the various rooms you have stayed in. I can assure you that this is certainly not our style. On behalf of all the Sofitel Ambassadors, I would like to apologize for these discomforts.

Nonetheless, I sincerely regret the fact that I did not had the opportunity to personally speak with you before you continued your stay in the Krasnapolsky.

I do hope that we may have the honor of welcoming you back in the future. Therefore I would like to invite you to personally discuss these matters further. Please inform us with your personal details via telephone number +31 20 555 3 111 or via email address H2783@sofitel.com in order for me to contact you on a time which is convenient for you.