“Beautiful Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

May I say that our stay at the Sofitel was absolutely wonderful. The service was excellent - from the personalised introduction to the room by Guest Relations to the most helpful concierge. The room was lovely overlooking the courtyard - the only downside was the thickness of the quilt which given it was a hot summers night made for a little too sticky nights sleep - however this was quickly rectfied by housekeeping the next day with a thinner quilt. The restaurant recommendations were great - service and food were excellent so the concierge really knows his stuff. The hotel itself was beautiful - there was some work being done to the front entrance - however this no inconvenience whatsoever.
Overall a beautiful hotel with great ambience, marvellous service and a great central location for exploring Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for sharing your lovely experience on TripAdvisor.

We do our utmost to satisfy our guests expectations and I am glad to read that you have had a wonderful experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

We are glad to read that you made the most of your stay in Amsterdam, by using our Concierge service for recommendations for restaurants. They sure are very professional and know the city inside out.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the great ambience and marvelous service provided by all Sofitel ambassadors in the very centrally located Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Best regards,
Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Driving through the narrow streets of Amsterdam you arrive at the courtyard of the hotel and you seem to whisked away to a remote hotel in the country-side. Efficient valet-parking and whilst checking in, the general manager came to greet us personally. Enjoyed lunch at the Garden Terrace with live music. Such a tranquil scenery! Great service also. The Luxury room was very spacious with a contemporary bathroom, walk-in rain shower and bath with TV! The breakfast was an experience with all what one can desire, topped with a glass of cremant. My number one choice were I to stay in Amsterdam again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for expressing your extreme satisfaction regarding the high level of service at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much as our entire team works with passion to help each guest enjoy a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel and staff are good but definitely not 5 star by either European, US, South Sea, or Asian standards. The location is convenient. It appears to have been recently refurbished. The beds are very comfortable and the suite very clean. The service is good, but not quite adequate for a 600-something Euro night room. I had to ask for basic supplies such as more soap; coffee and cream for the in-room espresso machine. For the first 3 nights turn down service was provided. For the fourth night it was not. the concierge booked a 700 Euro boat trip for the 2 of us on the wrong night. Flower arrangements near the elevator were bumped into by somebody in the morning and then not fixed for the rest of the day. Service in the lovely courtyard was miserably slow and we had to go into the lobby to find the bartender for the brown cafe. It has all of the potential for a wonderful hotel, but it definitely is not 5 star, overpriced by about 200 Euro per night, and I doubt if I would return.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear that besides the good service and clean and comfortable room we have provided, we did not succeed in giving you an outstanding experience.

We consider your feedback as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by you and the rest of our guests. That is the reason why we have discussed all of these matters internally to prevent it to happen in the future.

We sincerely regret the fact that you are not planning on returning to Sofitel Legend the Grand, that is why we would be very happy if you can reach me directly so we can further discuss these matters.

Best regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Booked the Magnifique Family package for this weekend as a birthday pamper treat for my husband and me. We went with our 4 year old and 8 month old. One room was full room rate and the children's room were 50% off plus they get their breakfasts free of charge. The Sofitel Resrvation staff also accommodated my request for a late checkout for one of the rooms so we could enjoy the hotel as much as possible.

It is our first time to stay in a Sofitel and we expected no less than the luxury we were looking for.

All staff were very courteous, a very refreshing break from the lack of hospitality in the usual Dutch hotels. At Reception, praise go to Christelle and Soraya. I commend the staff of Bridges who worked very hard to maintain their standard and remain conversant with guests (at breakfast or dinner!). Food is exquisite.

Special mention to the housekeeper of Room 410 and 412 for the superb turn down service during our two nights stay.

The hotel is teeming with history. Upon request, Mr. Henk Essink (?) gave us a quick tour of the historical banquet hall/chamber used for important ceremonies including the wedding of Queen Beatrix. I love the stained glass windows in the Marriage Chamber that still is used for weddings in Amsterdam.

Overall, the hotel is an amazing refuge of calm and luxury right at the heart of Amsterdam's infamous RLD. It is in the perfect location to explore key spots in Amsterdam.

It's not your usual family hotel - don't expect freebies for kids. Expect Hermés toiletries. Enjoy Evian water plus chocolate treats at bedtime.

Oversights:
I requested for birthday cakes and none was provided. (I can only imagine Sofitel Legend saying 'we don't do birthday cakes.') I would have at least appreciated that this was clear during the time of booking. I kept on waiting for the moment throughout our stay (until we left thus afternoon) but none of that perks except for a glass of strawberries and a packet of stroopwafels as a welcome treat in our room.

I requested for a babycot - none was provided. But this did not really matter. The queen bed was sufficient for my kids.

I didn't ask for these again during our stay because I did not want such minor things to ruin our weekend.

Since it was a pamper weekend, superb credits go to the fantastic indoor heated pool with a fancy jet stream (?) for swimming laps! My daughters, my husband and I very much enjoyed indulging in such a swimming treat. I also took advantage of the So SPA experience. Totally top class at reasonable prices.

Yes, I highly recommend Sofitel Legend The Grand. I wish I can afford such a treat again for the next birthday milestone.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Sinag
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

It is the Grand Amsterdam, and it deserves its name it every single way. My stay was just magnificent. It was not cheap, but I felt that every dollar I paid was worth the experience. Great food, exceptional wine, impeccable service, if you want something special, go for this hotel. Hotel Spa was great too and Hermes toiletries in the bathroom was just the perfect touch.Im sure I will be back, and the Junior suite with canal view, ahh, ohh, it included butler services, and he was so great and professional and there was never any single problem with any of my tasks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ultimedoc
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that the team impressed you throughout your stay, with our impeccable service, food & wine and our So|Spa.

A special thanks for your positive feedback on our butlers. I will definitely pass on your motivating words to them.

I would be pleased to welcome you back for another magnificent stay.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Hotel was very central, walking distance to everywhere, staff very attentive and willing to please! Breakfast which was included in price of room, was delicious, wide range of foods. Bathrooms very pleasant with shower and separate bathtub.

Room Tip: Our room faced the front - canal - quiet at night even if it was a busy street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KMH6868
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback, I am pleased to read that we made your first visit to Amsterdam a memorable one.

The entire team is looking forward to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam for your second visit to our capital city.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived at the hotel during an exceptionally heavy downpour of rain and were made very welcome by staff for our pre-booked Afternoon Tea. We took up the offer of a glass of champagne which helped us settle in for the tea to follow. First plate was sandwiches all of which were very fresh n tasty served with Darjeeling tea. Next up - mini scones 2 plain ones and 1 fruit one each. Lots of jam choices and clotted cream. This was served with Asaam tea. Scones were ok but a little bit boring in flavour (ginger/lemon/ or cinammon flavours in other hotels have all been a hit) and tasted a little bit stale. We then moved on to the 'fancies' which were served with a delicate rose petal tea. This plate consisted of one of each tiny pastries/chocolates from the trolley. We tasted our way through each miniature work of art. Very nice indeed. The only thing I might say was that most of these little delights were chocolate and/or nutty and became a bit 'samey' sadly. Some different flavours/ textures would liven this fine finale up. We spent a lovely couple of hours in the hotel enjoying the Afternoon Tea and admiring the beautiful flowers always present in Sofitel hotels. Well worth a visit for both.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank annecampbell33
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on the afternoon tea in our Library D’Or. I am pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary champagne and the friendliness of the Ambassadors.

We very much appreciate your feedback on the flavours of the scones and chocolate delights. We consider your feedback the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests and I will certainly review your feedback with the entire team.

We very much hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.