“Afternoon Tea”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived at the hotel during an exceptionally heavy downpour of rain and were made very welcome by staff for our pre-booked Afternoon Tea. We took up the offer of a glass of champagne which helped us settle in for the tea to follow. First plate was sandwiches all of which were very fresh n tasty served with Darjeeling tea. Next up - mini scones 2 plain ones and 1 fruit one each. Lots of jam choices and clotted cream. This was served with Asaam tea. Scones were ok but a little bit boring in flavour (ginger/lemon/ or cinammon flavours in other hotels have all been a hit) and tasted a little bit stale. We then moved on to the 'fancies' which were served with a delicate rose petal tea. This plate consisted of one of each tiny pastries/chocolates from the trolley. We tasted our way through each miniature work of art. Very nice indeed. The only thing I might say was that most of these little delights were chocolate and/or nutty and became a bit 'samey' sadly. Some different flavours/ textures would liven this fine finale up. We spent a lovely couple of hours in the hotel enjoying the Afternoon Tea and admiring the beautiful flowers always present in Sofitel hotels. Well worth a visit for both.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank annecampbell33
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on the afternoon tea in our Library D’Or. I am pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary champagne and the friendliness of the Ambassadors.

We very much appreciate your feedback on the flavours of the scones and chocolate delights. We consider your feedback the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests and I will certainly review your feedback with the entire team.

We very much hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We only spent one night in the hotel but were impressed. Excellent location, very welcoming staff, warm atmosphere, spacious room with a very comfortable bed and a nice courtyard for a drink outside on a nice day. We fully agree with a previous reviewer: we too have stayed in many 5 stars hotels around the world and, among the city hotels, this one rates as one of the finest for the feel of overall pleasure it gives (the Park Hyatt Buenos Aires is another wonderful place to stay by the way). What else would we have wished? Maybe that they had a rental bike for our 12 years old daughter and that the Concierge would not have sent us to a place 2 blocks away which was closed when we arrived. However, his restaurant recommendation for dinner was such in accordance with what we were looking for that he is forgiven! We shall return to this hotel next time we are in Amsterdam, no doubt. It is a gem.

1 Thank Alain2000
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such warm feedback.

I am truly glad to hear that we have fulfilled all of your expectations in terms of service, welcoming staff and warm atmosphere, as our main aim is to satisfy all our guests.

I sincerely apologize for the trouble caused with the bike rental. I am very surprised to hear about that because our Concierge Department usually knows Amsterdam and it’s services very well. Please rest assured that I'll take the appropriate measures to prevent any future occurrence.

Besides the issue mentioned above I am glad to hear that they succeed in recommending you a restaurant that fulfilled you wishes.

Furthermore the team and I are proud to read Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam rates as one of the finest for the feel of overall pleasure it has given you.

The team and I look forward to your next visit.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed 3 nights here in 2 storey Junior suite in the weekend on January 2010 few months before i moved back to Indonesia after living too long in Europe. i'll upload some photos later as i must search between my photo folders. they treated guest just like the royal families i believed :) the room is nice, simple but elegant. and the whole hotel building is just like a palace, my room was at the left wing of the u-shape building with very nice view of Amsterdam old city, misty in winter with lot's of rain but still cozy and classy inside the hotel. it was too big for myself alone :). my room entrance was just outside the hotel entrance, so i felt like i live in the middle of the city, the ground floor was my own private cloakroom to hang my winter-coat, Sofitel umbrella and my winter hat. then going up with my private stair to the first floor is the huge living room with high ceiling in classic royal style (they were renovating some parts of the hotel into classic-modern so mine was still in the previous condition) remember this hotel building was a convent back hundred years ago and Queen Beatrix of Holland was married here :) the cozy huge living room has an antique royal dining table, working desk in classic royal style, lounge area with very comfortable classic sofa, a black-white stripes chaise, very good entertainment equipment audio set from "Bose" and 2 units 32" Sharp LCD screen one in the living room and one in bedroom, yet a free fast wi-fi connection . next to the living room is the guest toilet and private kitchen with stove, private washing machine but i never used them, by the way amazing view of the hotel front yard. going up to the second floor is my private royal bedroom, very comfy bed, nice sheets, private bathroom, big closet with own ironing-set. and and extra guest toilet. i just can't described my experience during my stay there, as the dining area in the hotel is nice too in a french modern style with a dutch touch of the tulips view to the Amsterdam canals and hotel backyard full of red roses and a fountain, the lounge area with a modern glass open fire was also charming :) i intend to go to Amsterdam this end of the year and i would like to have this experience this one more time in the middle of the historical city of Amsterdam. i didn't use the indoor swimming pool that time as they were renovating and moreover didn't have time for it. overall i would like to say, i felt like part of the royal family by staying in this great hotel :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank rizferd
Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure reading your feedback, The team and I are truly thankful to you for sharing this. We felt extremely proud while reading your feedback quoting that Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam treat its guests just like the royal families and that you felt like part of these royal families.

The team and I were delighted to read that you have truly experienced our’ ‘Legendary’ level of service. As a matter of fact we love to indulge all of our guests by paying attention to every detail so our guests are surprised with delicate touches.

We look forward to your next visit at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel from July 12 to 16 2012. The junior suite my wife and I stayed in came with a large furnished balcony overlooking the canal in front of the hotel and the city skyline. Our butler Ralph Kool made travel arrangements for my family to Berlin from the hotel. He did an excellent job. We slept very well in quality beds and bedding. The suite was fitted out well with beautiful furnishings, and an expresso maker. My daughters were really pleased with the shampoos, soaps and the body lotions. The turn down service was very good. My teenaged daughters enjoyed similar amenities to those in the suite in their room.

The hotel was at one time a palace, later the Dutch Imperial Admiralty and still later the building served as Amsterdam's city hall. The wedding chapel is a master piece. Take a guided tour of the hotel to see the bronze sculptures, the wood carvings, the stained glass and the many other works of art. This is much more than a high end hotel. It still has the atmosphere of a palace.

The Inner courtyard has a really nice outdoor cafe. A great place for cocktails. We enjoyed it for dessert after a night out on the town. Bridges restaurant is very popular. It is one of the best seafood restaurants in Amsterdam and the food and service are excellent. The portions are small by North American standards though. I was happier dining out at one of the many Argentinian Steak Houses near the hotel. Many locals apparently love the cuisine at Bridges because many frequent this restaurant for dinner on weekends. Reservations are required on Fridays and Saturdays. I recommend that you reserve before your arrival at the hotel to avoid disappointment.

The breakfast buffet is also in Bridges and includes freshly made fruit smoothies, quality champagne, many food options including made-to-order eggs and Belgian Waffles. The breakfast cost was 35 Euros per person if not included in the room charge ( I had to pay for my daughters but breakfast was included for the suite ) If your preference is for a continental style breakfast you may take it in the Library instead for about half the cost of the buffet. In my opinion it was worth my while to feed my teenagers at the breakfast buffet because there was a lot of food they enjoyed and they would skip lunch after filling up at breakfast. There are so many options I think that most guests should be able to find something they like at the buffet.

The pool is not very large but has a water treadmill for those who like to swim for exercise. The whirlpool is built into a corner of the pool so of course the water is pool temperature, which is not as warm as I like in a whirlpool.The sauna and the steam room are of very high quality and can be brought up to hot temperatures. I got a lot of use out of the cold water bucket because of the hot sauna.The fitness room is small but well equipped. My daughters and I enjoyed these facilities every day ( it rained a lot while we were in town ) and in my opinion warming up in the spa facilities was one of my favorite experiences at this hotel.

During our stay the hotel arranged a car service for us so we could visit some sites outside of Amsterdam including the Canadian WW2 War Memorial and Military Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Windmills museum at ZaanseSchanMuseum and the picturesque fishing village of Volendam. The car and our driver were outstanding. Johann was an excellent tour guide as well as our driver. I highly recommend him if you want a car service to get out of the city for a day trip.

The hotel is two blocks more or less south of the red light district and two blocks in an easterly direction from Dam square. We walked easily to the Anne Frank Museum and to the Van Gogh. One of the best shopping streets is also within easy walking distance. The hotel is on two quiet streets and at night we were not disturbed by the late night party scene a couple. There is a canal boat bus dock two blocks to the south west. we walked from the Central Railway Station to the hotel when we arrived but my wife found this walk difficult with luggage because the cobblestone sidewalks made it difficult to pull the bags on their rollers. We used a cab when we left. A 10 Euro fare is what it cost us to get to the Central. You don't need a car in Amsterdam and it is a compact downtown area that is easy to walk. Bicycles are also a much better option than cars if you don't want to walk. There are many choke points for cars in the down town area because of the canals and the many bridges. Even though cabs have special lanes reserved for their use on many streets they get held up in traffic and are slow to get around.The canal boat buses are another good transport option along with the trams.

There were always cabs at the hotel for those who wanted them. But this hotel is in a great location and this is a city ideally suited for walking in. There is so much to see and do and walking enhances the experience. The streets seemed safe but the hotel is very secure and is a great base for a stay in this wonderful city. I look forward to returning to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, this hotel has some with really great views of the city. Reserve at Brid...
3 Thank GBrider1
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your delightful review about your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. As well as the attentive words you wrote about our Butler Bart Kool. I am very pleased that you got to experience the high services in each and every department.
The history of our hotel goes all the way back to the 15th century, and we are very proud to share all these rich stories.

I thank you for recommending our award winning restaurant Bridges. It is indeed correct that the portions in Europe vary from North-America. Nonetheless, I am pleased that we could recommend you to have dinner in another restaurant close by our hotel.

I am also very happy to read that you got to experience not only the city of Amsterdam very well due to the hotel’s location, but also many points of interest outside the city.

We are looking forward to your next visit together with your family.

SOUTH WEST
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I decided on a mini break in July to Amsterdam and chose the Sofitel Grand hotel. We could not have chosen better, not just for it's central position (4 mins walk from Dam square) but as it turned out the level of customer service as well. We've stayed in numerous 5 star hotels around the world and rate this as one of the finest in terms of overall pleasure to stay in.

What really made the Sofitel stand out was the high level of customer service. Not pretentious or over fussy, just plain good old fashioned service. We never met an employee who did not seem happy and pleased to help, and even at breakfast (which in itself came way beyond our expectations complete with Moet champagne if you wanted). Each and every table server new us by name and couldn't have been more helpful and polite. Most 5 star hotels will offer the same facilities as this one but few are as comfortable and welcoming as this.

The hotel reception was full of bronze statuettes and works of art which created a welcome and comfortable feel. There was a quiet library as well as a sitting area and an outside courtyard for those dry and sunny days. Afternoon tea out there was a delight with live, yet subtle music played on sunday afternoons by members of the local music academy.

We had a good sized room overlooking one of the canals (room 404) which looked recently decorated. The room was very comfortable although for some having only a walk in shower and no bath might be an issue, but it didn't bother us (it was exceptionally clean).

The management of the hotel must be commended and we would readily stay here again and thank all the staff for being so nice.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better and try to book with a canal view.
2 Thank ITSMEAGAINSouthWest
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such enchanting feedback.

It is wonderful to read your Grand words about our high level of services on each and every department at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. We want to indulge all of our guests and I am very pleased that we had the opportunity to indulge you.

I also would like to thank you for recommending our Afternoon Tea served in our garden with live music on Sunday afternoons during the summer.

It is indeed correct that recently the entire hotel has been renovated which resulted in a blend of history and modern design. I would like to inform you that we offer Luxury rooms which do offer a separate bathtub and rain shower and also have a view over the canals.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Charlottesville
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for four nights. Staff was welcoming and polite. Rooms very comfortable. Great location in center of the city. Would stay here again. I would book and confirm reservations directly with the hotel. We had originally booked through The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection, hoping to get the promised breakfast, and upgrade if available. However, the Grand Sofitel had never heard from them directly and the reservations had been booked by a third party. So none the perks from our credit card or booking through the Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection website applied. I am glad that I confirmed my reservations directly with the hotel. However, none of this above misunderstanding stood in the way of enjoying our hotel experiences. The restaurant Bridges, is amazing, which I'll put in separate review.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank asilv250
Dear Guest,

I am pleased but most of all thankful to read your positive review about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am very grateful about the beautiful words you wrote about my team and will certainly pass these on.

I am sorry to read that your booking via The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection did not came through as well as the promised benefits. Nevertheless, I am very happy to read that we could make the booking for you directly at our hotel and that none of this influenced your stay.

We look forward to your next stay here at The Grand.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed one night for business in Amsterdam (Previously stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer, an even nicer property). The location was ideal, easy walking distance to shops and restaurants. Concierge recommended a canal cruise up the street which is not to be missed. Only complaint I had was that the restaurant didn't offer an a la carte or lighter breakfast option - just a full buffet. I was directed to the "library", where I could get the continental breakfast option. Not a great setting for business colleagues to start their day. Garden is nice for drinks, but be aware there were numerous mice scurrying around the ground, so ladies, keep your bags UP off teh ground. Didn't give the hotel 5 stars because my room was EXTREMELY small - much too small for the price paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mommy2ena
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the ideal location of The Grand and the canal cruise you have experienced recommended by our Concierge department.

Regarding the breakfast, I apologize for not providing you with a proper alternative in our restaurant Bridges. I can certainly understand that was not a perfect start of the day.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you witnessed mice in our garden area. Please rest assured that we have taken drastic measurements to exterminate this problem.

I am also very sorry to hear that you have found the room too small.

Besides the issues described above, I hope that we will have the opportunity and the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.