My wife and I have been fortunate to have been pampered at great hotels around the world. Four Seasons around the US and in Costa Rica and the Carribean; Ritz Carlton properties, Plaza, Ian Schrager hotels in NYC, Miami; and some of the outstanding luxury hotels in Paris, Italy, and throughout Europe.
This is now our favorite.
From the moment we arrived to the time we left, the pride with which the outstanding service was delivered was readily apparent and well deserved. I hope to have the attention to detail in my own work that the staff here showed in theirs.
We arrived early and while we were waiting for our room to be ready, we were served a beautiful mint tea with macaroons and madeleines in the lobby. Our butler, Burt, showed us to our apartment suites and explained the hotel and its services along the way. They offer to unpack for you while you explore the city; perhaps a service we will take advantage of at our next visit (they will also pack for you before you leave, as well).
We traveled from the US with a young child (13 months old), which can be an adventure in and of itself; the hotel made it such a pleasure, and we know it took quite some effort. From the carefully prepared crib in our room with the beautiful toiletries just for infants to the simple touches like making sure a child's high chair was always waiting for us at the breakfast brunch, care was taken to consider our child's comfort just as much as ours. The infant towel they had for him was beautiful (we'll hopefully post a photo in the traveler's pictures area) and we hope to purchase it for ourselves.
The food was excellent, and on one of the final days we had a high tea prepared for us in the apartment suite; again, we'll attempt to post the photos, but needless to say it was a gorgeous setting that created a wonderful ambience. Moreover, the chef prepared a beautiful chocolate mousse dish for our son with the mousse in the shape of a small mouse and the mango pieces as carefully carved cheese blocks. These people really know no bounds in catering to your whims and desires. As we had family members visiting which included 4 generations (my son, his mother and aunts, his grandmother, and his great-grandmother), the tea was an experience which we know all of our family will remember as a fond gathering with outstanding service.
They have a nice spa and exercise area which we took advantage of; the pool was perfect for swimming short laps or enjoying a dip with our son.
The room itself that we were upgraded to was a beautiful apartment suite overlooking a canal, and with a small outdoor balcony with sitting area. Living area with a dining table was separated from our bedroom by two beautiful, heavy wood sliding doors that allowed us to enjoy room service or an espresso while our son slept peacefully. We actually enjoyed the Nespresso machine so much that we bought our own upon our return. We also looked to buy porcelain espresso and coffee cups as well designed as theirs.
Hotel amenities and events are luxurious and quite interesting. If you get the opportunity, take them up on their flight of Dutch brandies with Beemster cheese. I've never tried them before, but I certainly will again.
Location is very central and within walking distance to basically any part of Amsterdam you would like to visit. The train station is also a short 10-15 minute walk, easy for day trips to wherever you'd desire (we traveled to visit family in Alkmaar).
As for value, this is not a cheap, bargain hotel we visited from the 17th to the 22nd of March. That being said, we would have likely paid double what we were charged for this quality and attention to detail in a hotel (and have paid double in other hotels around the world). They even had a nice breakfast of yogurt, fresh fruit, and pastries ready for us to take upon our departure to the airport. To us, it was an outstanding bargain for what was given, and having that positive experience of being treated fairly and generously only adds to our determination to return.
We are certain that there are other wonderful luxury hotels and/or intriguing hotels with much character in Amsterdam. However, there is only one place we will be staying upon our return, and we would even consider making a special trip just to stay and be pampered by all the great staff who make this the finest hotel we have had the fortune to visit.
You should too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, ACCOR, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, TravelUp, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel