“Didn't hit the mark” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Didn't hit the mark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice hotel but just not as good as I was expecting. Rooms are fine but some of our party had ground floor rooms which had low ceilings. Food was not inspiring and the service at dinner was quite poor - reminiscent of Fawlty Towers! Can't fault the front desk - all very helpful. Bed was a bit soft for my liking.
I just can't think of anything really positive to write.

Room Tip: Don't have a ground floor room according to some of our party
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Arqueros,

Thank you for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for the constructive feedback you provided us with. At Hotel Pulitzer we do our utmost to ensure a memorable experience for our guests and always strive for the best service, therefore your comments are highly appreciated.
Please note that your feedback regarding the service in our restaurant has been shared with our Food & Beverage Manager in order to improve our level of service in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for your stay and feedback. I hope we may get the chance to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here in late September with starwood points. As a gold member, I was immediately recognized and asked what I wanted for my amenity. From the beginning till the end, all the staff members I encountered had smiles on their faces; they made me feel very welcome.
This hotel is a must stay hotel for those who want to be in the heart of everything. The building is so unique that outside the door you will see the hustle and bustle of the city; but inside you could enjoy serenity at their courtyard.
The only issue I encountered was that I was not able to unlock my safe right before check-out. I was getting nervous as I had to catch a cab to the airport. So I called and asked for help. Engineering showed up very quickly. I was kind of apologetic as I thought I must have done something wrong. But he told me that the code I saw over there meant "the battery was low" and he apologized for the inconvenience. So I was on my way to the airport in no time right after I admired the room and the building one last time... Next time I am there, I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: The lines at Anne Frank house (which is just a block from the hotel) could get really long. Plan to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear goksel g,

Wow, thank you very much for such a lovely review. It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. Your compliments have been shared with our entire team, especially with our Engineers.
I truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to The Netherlands,

Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We enjoyed a two night stay at the Pulitzer and it is a good - but not great - hotel. The location is excellent and suited us as a couple since we were more interested in walking around exploring than in venturing to the red light district etc (which is a fair way away). The Nine Streets and the Jordaan are both lovely areas and within a few minutes walk, as is Anne Frank's House. I was slightly disappointed with the size and amenities of our room - not because there was anything wrong, simply because we paid a lot and have been in far larger and more luxurious rooms for less money. Seeing the room did not make me think, "Yes, this is definitely a five star place". I also thought for that price they could offer complimentary wifi, though it did reinforce my theory that the cheaper the hotel, the more likely wifi is to be free (strange how that often seems to be the case)! A couple of things that were very good: The hotel bar is really nice - dark lighting and good cocktails! 'The Tourist' canal boat trip (€38pp) - run by the hotel - was very good. We went on a evening trip that was very enjoyable, with Onno the captain very knowledgeable and friendly. Worth paying the premium (compared to other canal trips) for this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear HB274,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed the Pulitzer's Bar and the canal tour on our private boat "The Tourist". Furthermore, I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding the feel of our rooms and WIFI, your feedback is very important to us and therefore highly appreciated.

Fullerton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the Pulitzer for three nights in late August. We arrived, coincidentally, on the day of the Prinsengracht Concert which is held on the canal in front of the hotel. First off, let me say that the concert was an incredibly wonderful surprise extra experience. About the hotel itself, it is very cozy for such a large hotel. It is a series of town houses connected in a very clever way (atrium-style enclosed pathways). The breakfast that we received with our stay was terrific. The staff was friendly and helpful. For example, because of the concert, the street was blocked off. As I was struggling with my luggage a man came up beside me, explained that he was the head concierge of the hotel on his way in to work and helped me with my luggage the remaining two blocks! The staff assisted us with restaurant reservations and came up with exactly the type we requested (nice but not too nice). The location of the hotel is just a block away from the Anne Frank House. As we walked home from one of our restaurants we noticed that the house was open until 10 o'clock and the line was small. We went the next evening and didn't have to wait. The only reason I didn't award the Pulitzer a fifth star is that the room sizes were very small. Otherwise a five-star experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear rsrymm,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us in August. It is a pleasure to read that you have had a memorable time in our historical hotel. What a coincidence that you were in Amsterdam during the Prinsengracht Concert, this is indeed one of the largest and most enchanting events held on the canals.

I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The skies were cloudy and the weather was a bit nippy for September but returning to Hotel Pulitzer was consistently a warm, welcoming experience. Staff could not have been more accommodating or nicer. From the front desk personnel who understood how to allocate their time offering suggestions while still professionally handling in-coming reservations to the wait staff in the restaurant/bar and coffee bar, customer service done right was consistent. Our room was HUGE, with an oversized bathroom and (nonworking/decorative) fireplace overlooking a courtyard. It had its downside, being located adjacent to the gym where weights were heard clanging on the floor but who cared? It was homey and comfy. There was a conference happening during our stay and guests lingered in the courtyard with hors d'oeuvres and drinks. Again, the lack of privacy knowing they were there was not enough to make it a negative. Breakfasts are superb with truly anything anyone could want from hot and cold buffet to made-to-order eggs. Food quality was excellent as was the selection. The hotel is located on a canal and within walking distance of numerous farmers' markets, the Anne Frank House and a number of very good restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MyraO,

Wow, thank you very much for your lovely review on Tripadvisor! It is a true pleasure to read that you had a memorable time at Hotel Pulitzer and that you felt very welcome throughout your stay. Please be assured that your compliments have been shared with our entire team.

I hope we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam to ensure an exceptional indigenous experience in our historical property,

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I remember walking into the Pulitzer a few years ago where a warm chimney was filling the reception area with a distinct and warm atmosphere as you were being greeted by friendly staff behind a massive wooden and charming reception desk. Except for the friendly staff, all of that has disappeared, sofas have replaced the fireplace and the reception is a cold granite airport-like landing area.

The hotel is of course charming, ideally located, etc... however, when you belong to a Luxury collection, can you decently provide rooms where all windows give on a white wall 4-5 feet away, without a warning?

Clearly, the hotel is best in the warm and sunny summer days than in the middle of autumn, however when you pretend to luxury, you would expect to have a place where you can have coffee or tea in decent china, where seating is not in the middle of the reception area, where comfortable and elegant seating is provided, and why not, where a flower or two would relieve the eye from the omnipresent brownish decor.

Finally, when you are experiencing a leak in the ceiling which forces staff to change buckets of water every now and then while you're having tea, I would have expected a sophisticated team to at least apologize, or place a nice folding screen to shield the dripping area from the public area.

To summarize: Charming, well located, and friendly hotel. Luxury calls for a bit more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Loverly4u2
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Loverly4u2,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for your thorough feedback. Your detailed comments are truly helpful in understanding how you felt about your experience with us and are highly appreciated.

Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our Management Team in order to improve our facilities and services in the future.

I hope we may get the chance to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel which consists of a block of renovated canal houses which have been beautifully redesigned. Friendly staff. Beautiful room. Try to get a canal view...it is well worth it.
The location is good. Close to the Jordan which is an upscale area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear drdrew_traveler,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay in the 25 historical canal houses in which Hotel Pulitzer is located.

I hope we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam!