“Charming and private, perfect for couples or for business” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
Ranked #35 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Charming and private, perfect for couples or for business”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I had the pleasure of working in Amsterdam for a three month stretch. I had the option of renting an appt or staying at the Pulitzer for 4 days a week for three months. This hotel is probably my best hotel experience to date. The service was impeccable, the charm and design of the hotel lends well for both couples and business travellers seeking privacy and comfort in a very elegant setting.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Sims36
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear Valuable Guest,

We are so proud in reading your review here on Tripadvisor as you mention that this is your best hotel experience. This is what we strive for every day and we are happy that we have showed you what kind of hotel we are. Thank you so much and we would like to welcome you back in the near future. If there is anything what we can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I went to Amsterdam for 3 days and stayed at this fine hotel. We were able to prepay our entire stay for a discounted price on the internet. I liked that this hotel was affiliated with Starwood Hotels, because I had always been impressed with their hotel quality and service.

We flew into Amsterdam rather early on a red eye flight and went up to the reception desk at this hotel rather bleary-eyed and begged for any available room. They were very kind but said they could not check us in until noon at the earliest, but that was 3 hours earlier than their usual check-in time, so they did the best they could.

In the meantime, we enjoyed a free breakfast in their incredibly elegant and beautiful restaurant which was in the hotel. To get there, we walked through their courtyard and garden and looked at the paintings and sculptures in their art gallery. Yes, they have their own art gallery. Breakfast was amazing. They have a pastry table, a fruit salad plate, and a hot buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, and, of course, crepes and pancakes.

We wandered around Amsterdam and came back at noon and they gave us a room with a terrace on the courtyard, literally 2 steps away from their Espresso Bar and courtyard. This was beneficial in some ways and challenging in other ways. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. However, we were on the first floor and near the espresso bar, so we would get woken up most mornings by noise fr the espresso machine and deliveries, etc. The walls are thin and we had to wear ear plugs most nights to get to sleep.

The bathroom was elegant and beautiful, but the tub was narrow and deep, causing me to slip and trip getting into and out of it. There was plenty of hot water. The room is itself composed of hardwood floors and a cathedral ceiling.

Another aspect of this hotel that we liked was that it located 3 blocks from the Anne Frank House and 1 block from the nearest Tram stop. It is also 1 block from Westerkerk, a large church with a high spire that we could easily spot if we were lost or trying to get oriented to the geography of the city. The location of the hotel to the Tram stop was key for me. I love taking public transportation and liked that the hotel was not directly on the street where the tram was, but close enough for a short walk.

We will definitely return to Amsterdam in a few years and when we do, we plan to stay here again, except we may ask for a room that is not as noisy!

Room Tip: Check in early and ask the Receptionist
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read that you find the hotel very nice with a good location, art gallery, breakfast and that you have enjoyed the efforts made by our associates. We always do our utmost best to make every guest feel at home. Nevertheless we are sorry to hear that there was some noise early in the morning. During your next stay you can always ask a more quiet room at the reception or with your reservation.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I imagine this is a somewhat polarizing hotel.

The rooms were...interesting. The hotel is comprised of converted canal houses, so the layout of the hotel is rather unusual. We had an excellent room with a strange configuration but really enjoyed it. I usually stay in chain hotels and this was a fun authentic hotel. We found ourselves wandering around the hotel looking at interesting things a few times.

The breakfast is AMAZING! This is one of the best hotel breakfasts I have eaten. Eat there.

As Amsterdam is a compact city, this has a good location for seeing most of the sights.

The concierge staff was grumpy each time I went to them. Not sure why...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We always do our utmost best to make every guest feel at home. Hotel Pulitzer is unique among the luxury hotels in Amsterdam. The hotel consist of 25 restored 17th and 18th century canal houses converted into a luxury hotel in Amsterdam. This creates a charming and unique experience for our guests. We are pleased that you have enjoyed the room during your stay. The breakfast team felt proud to keep up the good work and we will share your comments as well with the concierge associates in order to motivate them to offer the best service. On behalf of the entire team, we will be looking forward to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer.

Valley Stream, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I stayed here last week for three nights with a friend as part of a bachelor party in Amsterdam. Based on the varying reviews posted beforehand, most is fairly true but at the end of the day, my stay was fine as I had no serious expectations.

Although I am a Platinum member, the best benefit from this was having complimentary buffet breakfast at 238 Restaurant in the mornings. Selections were very, very decent although I can imagine paying for it would be too much. We got a corner room in #421 and was very clean and neat. Had some free munchies and water too so that was a nice touch. First time ever staying in a room with bricks as walls so it was unique. The beds we had were amazing...my friend loved it so much he fell asleep as soon as he laid on the comforter and was out in minutes!!! The bathroom was a bit small especially the shower/tub but was thoroughly clean and stylish as a classic marble bathroom.

Did I mention the beds were real, real comfortable?? That was indeed the best highlight of our entire stay there. The walkways and stairs through the various houses was a neat experience so unless you hate walking, this is not for you, but not a big deal at all for us. Located 2 blocks from Anne Frank House and a old restaurant (dating back to 1600 or so) on the corner of the Prinsengracht street and is only 3 minute walk from the tram at Westermarkt made travelling out and about very convenient!!

If I return to Amsterdam, I'd consider staying here again definitely with my family if I still can enjoy and utilize my Starwood membership.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Loyal SPG Guest,

Congratulations with your friend who is getting married. We do hope that he had a bachelor party to never forget here in Amsterdam. Hotel Pulitzer is indeed an unique hotel as the hotel consists of canal houses where every room is different which creates an indigenous experience for our guests.
Next to this how wonderful to hear that you and your friend enjoyed our beds so much. That is very important to us. We would be honored to welcome you back at our hotel in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly if there is anything else we can assist you with.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Spent two nights here before our AMA Waterways cruise. Had splendid Canal view room. Location is superb - a block from the Anne Frank house and walking distance to the Museum Quarter. The Jordan neighborhood is beautiful. The staff members at the Pulitzer are highly professional but friendly and helpful at the same time. My daughter had lost her Ipod - and it was quickly retrieved by the staff with minimal hassle. There were several great breakfast places near the hotel, so we didn't get to try the Hotel breakfast. All in all, a great stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NinaNewYorkCity
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you have had a pleasant stay with us at Hotel Pulitzer. We are proud to read that you enjoyed the effords made by our associates in regards to the service and finding your daughters Ipod. Hopefully you are enjoying your cruise as well. We would like to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

The layout of the hotel rooms is like a maze, thoroughly confusing and extremely difficult to find your way around. Even the new staff we spoke to share the same problem. Added to the confusion are the steps to get up and down enroute to the rooms. So its definitely better to leave the luggage to the porters. The room we were allocated were relatively small. However it is clean, well maintained . Reception and restaurant staff were friendly and approachable.

The concierge team members Robin, Ronald and Robert were truly awesome and did a great job.

However there were some issues that upset my stay:

A) Had booked room using cash and points based on US$ and when I try to settle the bill, found the hotel exchange rates most unfavourable .

B) Booked a big cab to the airport and was told by the staff it was 50 Euro but was eventually charged 55 Euro by the driver.

C) We told the staff to book a metered cab to the red light area but instead he booked us one which charged us 50 Euro per hour.

It would be wise to double check the rate with the staff and driver before boarding!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments about our concierge, reception and restaurant team. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the efforts made by our associates. With reference to your issues our Front Office Manager explained every point raised already via email. The exchange rate which we use is according Starwood Policy. The exchange rate is used for room and city tax therefore the amount was different than you expected. From the hotel to the airport taxi fares are between 42 to 50 euro. You have been charged €47. The €50 per hour taxi which you have mentioned is for a special tariff for a tour. Please don’t hesitate to contact the Front Office Manager if there is anything not clearly explained. As the hotel consists of 25 canal houses it can be a challenge to find the room however we have signs throughout the hotel and our porters can walk with you with the luggage to the room. We hope to welcome you back at our Hotel.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I really really loved this hotel, it's really a unique setting and so much cooler than your average chain or corporate hotel. I had a great experience there and would definitely come back.

First of all the location is great, you are right by all cute and unique boutiques and restaurants nestled in the 9 Streets area, and also close to the Ann Frank House which everyone should see. This area is really precious in this day and age of cookie cutter stores and chain restaurants, it's great to see that unusual boutiques and cafes and such still exist.

The hotel makes you feel like you are one of the locals since it is basically in a huge grouping of the old canal houses, and it fits in seamlessly in the neighborhood. It's got a somewhat ecclectic artsy feel, and they have some nice artwork throughout which gives it a sophisticated touch. My room looked out over a cute little courtyard which I am sure is even better in the summer, you can tell it's probably really beautifully landscaped and even with the cold and snow it was really charming.

I also loved the room I stayed in, it was really cozy and inviting. It had light colored wood floors which I love not only for the look, but also because hotel carpet is really gross if you really think about it. Both my colleague and I agreed that we wouldn't mind just hanging out in our rooms watching the snow come down in the courtyard.

I also have to say the staff were really helpful and genuinely friendly, which I don't always find. Even the man cleaning the baseboards in the lobby was friendly! The concierge got us a great reservation at one of the restaurants that was hard to get into, so we were very pleased with their help throughout the trip.

Hotel Pulitzer is really unique and I hope I can make it back some day! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very proud to read your review and that you have had a wonderful stay with us. This is what we want to achieve for all our guests. We are very happy that you and your colleague fully enjoyed your stay with us and please don’t hesitate to share any improvements as well. We have shared your great review with the whole team as this is a good motivation for all of us. It will be an honor to have you as one of our guests for in the future. If there is anything we can assist you with now or in the future please don’t hesitate to contact the hotel.