“The Lace exhibition devalued the museum visit”

Willet-Holthuysen Museum
$69.31*
I amsterdam Card - City Pass for Amsterdam
Ranked #47 of 521 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can tour this 17th-century canal-side house in Amsterdam, which is filled with furnished period rooms and works of art that were donated by the owner Louisa Willet-Holthuysen to the city in 1895.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

After having read fairly good reviews here we decided to visit this museum. Although the house itself is very nice it isn't as introduced. It is a replica/suggestions of how people used to live, not the home of former residents kept untouched.

Although the house itself is nice to see, and it is interesting to see how people might have lived 100-150 years ago they had added a lace show to the house, which was a total horror. This modern show was a bad addition to the house and in no context to previous exhibitions. The lace show didn't add any value to the house, if anything it was devaluing the experience.

While this lace exhibition is running I recommend you skip the house, but once it is over the house might be a nice visit for those interested to see how people lived a millennium ago.

2  Thank ArcherReykjavik
There are newer reviews for Willet-Holthuysen Museum

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is in a fun area of Amsterdam to visit and was worth the walk there. You get to wander through an actual canal house from the 1800s and the gardens. It has been restored/preserved. The history of the house is explained well and there is a lot of art to look at. We all enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We loved touring the Canal House as it was included in our "I am Amsterdam" card. It is pricey if you don't purchase the card. We loved seeing how the Dutch lived before with the beautiful furniture and house decor. The gardens are wonderful. I loved being able to finally see inside one of the canal houses in Amsterdam. They have some funky art exhibits in the house as well which we didn't care for, but others might like. The Handbag Museum is on the same street.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Browsing the tourist office website I came across a section called "Hidden museums along the canals". As I'm always in to do something less touristy and very fond of history this museum was a perfect match.

I visited with a friend during a very busy weekend, but the museum only had a handful of visitors when we were there. We definitely loved walking around the different rooms and the splendid garden without having other people there. It may sound a little selfish but being almost on your own in this museum sort of transports you back in time even more easy...and of course it's bliss not having to bend yourself in all sorts of directions to take a picture without having someone else in the shot.

The tour of the museum makes sense, starting "downstairs" and later going "upstairs". There is a good balance of providing period information as well as background information on the people who lived there. I think this is excellent, it makes the house come to life...instead of it being just a museum.

Not everything in the museum is authentic, some rooms are reconstructed using furniture from the same time period. I hadn't expected this, but didn't mind at all. There were information panels in several rooms announcing that the museum will change/restore certain things in the future and this really shows that the museum continuous to take care of its precious heritage.

My friend and I visited without the audio guide and found we received enough information with just the free leaflet and information panels inside the rooms. We spent about an hour inside the museum and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. If I would find myself in Amsterdam again, in a couple of years, I would certainly return to this charming museum to see what changes have been made and to once more sample the luxury of times past.

Well worth your time and money. If you are interested there's just no excuse to miss it.

1  Thank sabrina_ide
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Two minutes from the Rembrandt statue (in Rembrandtplein) this Herengracht canal house is a must see. "Free" with I AMsterdam card and well worth the visit. Took about 45 minutes to view the lovely rooms and gardens - learnt a lot about how the occupants lived. Like going back in time!!