WINNER WONDERLAND

and up
Admission Ticket to Museum Willet-Holthuysen in Amsterdam
Ranked #49 of 466 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can tour this 17th-century canal-side house in Amsterdam, which is filled with furnished period rooms and works of art that were donated by the owner Louisa Willet-Holthuysen to the city in 1895.
North Salt Lake, Utah
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Beautiful Canal House”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We loved touring the Canal House as it was included in our "I am Amsterdam" card. It is pricey if you don't purchase the card. We loved seeing how the Dutch lived before with the beautiful furniture and house decor. The gardens are wonderful. I loved being able to finally see inside one of the canal houses in Amsterdam. They have some funky art exhibits in the house as well which we didn't care for, but others might like. The Handbag Museum is on the same street.

Visited June 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Sluis, The Netherlands
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“You've got no excuse to miss this”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Browsing the tourist office website I came across a section called "Hidden museums along the canals". As I'm always in to do something less touristy and very fond of history this museum was a perfect match.

I visited with a friend during a very busy weekend, but the museum only had a handful of visitors when we were there. We definitely loved walking around the different rooms and the splendid garden without having other people there. It may sound a little selfish but being almost on your own in this museum sort of transports you back in time even more easy...and of course it's bliss not having to bend yourself in all sorts of directions to take a picture without having someone else in the shot.

The tour of the museum makes sense, starting "downstairs" and later going "upstairs". There is a good balance of providing period information as well as background information on the people who lived there. I think this is excellent, it makes the house come to life...instead of it being just a museum.

Not everything in the museum is authentic, some rooms are reconstructed using furniture from the same time period. I hadn't expected this, but didn't mind at all. There were information panels in several rooms announcing that the museum will change/restore certain things in the future and this really shows that the museum continuous to take care of its precious heritage.

My friend and I visited without the audio guide and found we received enough information with just the free leaflet and information panels inside the rooms. We spent about an hour inside the museum and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. If I would find myself in Amsterdam again, in a couple of years, I would certainly return to this charming museum to see what changes have been made and to once more sample the luxury of times past.

Well worth your time and money. If you are interested there's just no excuse to miss it.

1 Thank sabrina_ide
Walsall, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Two minutes from the Rembrandt statue (in Rembrandtplein) this Herengracht canal house is a must see. "Free" with I AMsterdam card and well worth the visit. Took about 45 minutes to view the lovely rooms and gardens - learnt a lot about how the occupants lived. Like going back in time!!

Logan, Utah, United States
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nice place to visit if your in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this house. I did enjoy it and there were some interesting things to look at, most impressive to me was the garden. They are doing some ambitious restoration, so I expect that the house will get more impressive. If you are in the neighborhood, I would definitely recommend going, but I don't think it is worth going out of your way to see.

Visited June 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely fantastic museum - a must-visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved this museum! The entry fee is well worth it, as is the extra 2 euros for the audio guide - it gives tons of fascinating information about the house and gardens and isn't overly dry or boring. The only disappointment was that some parts of the house had been reconstructed and some pieces were not original, though we were told that the house was in the process of being renovated so in a few months it will be back to the way it should be. If you're at all interested in the canal houses of Amsterdam this is without question the best museum of its kind in the city.