“Quite solid new approach By Ron” 4 of 5 stars

Ron Blaauw Restaurant
Ranked #132 of 3,431 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European, Delicatessen
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Amsterdam
“Quite solid new approach By Ron”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We dined at Ron Blaauw many times over the years, started enjoying his style when still in Ouderkerk ,with no Michelin star pressure at that point,grew to 2 star there and then the move to Amsterdam.
We never actually enjoyed it anymore at the new location, it had no heart we felt and actually had two not so great experiences and decided that it was basically just over and done with and took our business elsewhere.
Then Ron decided to change his game about a year ago,still not triggered and It felt a bit weird that a restaurant owner hands back his ,at one point, "well deserved" Stars because you are fed up, although we do believe that the trend should be less complicated and more about straightforward, simple, enjoyable food. We decided to give it a try last october, went there on a thursday night , it was fully packed and quite noisy, we got bar seating although we made reservation a week before.The concept is that all dishes are 15 euro and some( actually quite a few) come with supplements.The structure of the menu is ok, you have cold and hot dishes and the portions may vary( not clearly stated).We started with some Oysters,The tartare of coquille and Lanqoustine, all very well prepared and presented and really fair portions,after digesting we went on for some meat dishes we did have to wait for a while before our next orders arrived though.. The Veal Pita ,(mainly filled with organ meat) is really outstanding,also the Wagyu was pretty good,the Carpaccio was somewhat disappointing,taste was lacking and the plate was not made up very well the last dish we choose was the King Crab,we got a complementary coffee and they apologized for the waiting.
Overall it was really a different experience compared with what it used to be( the highs and the lows), but refreshing, the brigade is pretty solid,although when it is busy they tend to miss a few things, so room for improvement, the wine selection is a little too straightforward and could be a little bit more exciting.Will definitely go back a try a lunch next time to see how they improved /taken it up a bit more!

• Visited October 2013

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice venue, good atmosphere, good wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have been here for a business dinner. Due to the group site, we had a fixed set of dishes for sharing. Overall the venue looks good, good atmosphere, very good and nice looking service.

The dishes to share were on average very good, a bit small, dough. The wines are great and the choice is extensive. Unfortunately due to the group size, we were not able to take the a-la-carte menu. Expected a bit more, due to the regained Michelin star :-)

This place is good for business and leisure. Will be back in January 2014 to try the a-la-carte.

About this review:

I hope this review will help you in your travel. My reviews are objective, independent and unbiased. This reviewer is an experienced international traveler, especially across Europe and South East Asia; check my profile and other reviews! Please do contact me for any additional information or clarification!

Please check my other reviews as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reviewer is KLM Platinum Elite, SPG Gold member, Marriott Gold Elite and A | Club (Sofitel) Platinum member

1 Thank Andres_Boot
Wormer, The Netherlands
“Nice addition to the Amsterdam restaurant scene”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Chef Ron Blaauw gave up his restaurant with two Michelin stars (at which I never dined) and replaced it with a “gastrobar”, which after its first year received a single Michelin star. Ron Blaauw wanted to create a more accessible restaurant, and I think he has succeeded. At Ron Gastrobar you can order as many dishes as you like for 15 euros (about US$ 20) each. They are of an intermediate portion size: not as big as a main course, but not a small bite either. Three or four dishes are enough for a meal. The term ”gastrobar” also means that there are a lot of tables and quite close together. The restaurant is a bit like a “grand café”. I was curious about this new restaurant, and so I went to check it out. (Photos taken with my iPhone in bad lighting conditions.)
On the menu are about 20 dishes to choose from: cold and warm, both meat and seafood (nothing completely vegetarian). You can also order expensive prime rib for two from premium beef and there are desserts (9 euros) and cheese. I decided to choose some of the less usual dishes I saw on the menu, and asked the waiter to bring matching wines with everything. (The waiter later explained that they do not really do wine pairings, she does select a wine from what is available but it is not something they research and sell actively.) There are no amuses bouche, only some pickled pearl onions that come with the good sourdough bread.

The first dish I chose was a salad of chicken gizzards confit, celery, celeriac, crispy chicken skin and cream of foie gras. I enriced the dish with freshly grated white truffel for a surcharge of 10 euros. I shouldn’t have, because there was not enough truffle or it wasn’t fragrant enough, so I didn’t get a lot of truffle flavor for my 10 euros. The chicken gizzards confit was surprisingly nice. I don’t think you’d be able to tell it was chicken, let alone chicken gizzards. The combination of everything together worked really well, and it got better towards the bottom as I had not mixed in enough of the cream of foie gras in the beginning. The wine was a Grauburgunder (pinot gris) from Rheinessen. It worked quite well even though it was served a bit too cold. 8/10

BBQ cabbage with crispy cavolo nero, bone marrow, and oyster cream. The BBQ white cabbage was really nice, quite sweet and not ‘cabbagey’ in a bad way at all. I liked the combination of everything together: the sweet cabbage slightly crunchy cabbage, the very crunchy cavolo nero, the velvety bone marrow, and the fresh oyster cream. I thought the amount of oyster cream was bit small compared to the substantial piece of cabbage and the marrow. The pairing with a white rioja was adequate. 8/10

The star of the evening was BBQ spare ribs with homemade sambal oelek, smoked beetroot, horseradish, and deep-fried sauerkraut. The BBQ spare ribs were absolutely delicious. They were served without the bones, and it was a very adequate portion of meat (sufficient for a full main course I’d say). The meat had a great deep smoky flavor and good texture. The deep-fried sauerkraut was a nice touch, but flavorwise not so special. I liked the homemade sambal oelek because of its spicy but full and round flavor. The pairing with a merlot from Washington state was OK. The star of the night: 9/10.

Hanger steak with lavas, patatas bravas, and seared foie gras (15 euros surchage for the foie gras). We shared this as we both had room for a little more and were curious about this dish. The hanger steak was the most tender I’ve ever had, although perhaps not as flavorsome. The red rioja was adequate. 8/10

The baba au rhum I chose for dessert was served with a spicy mandarin sorbet. It worked quite well with a late-harvest chardonnay from Austria. Nice dessert. 8/10

No petit fours with the tea, but we did get this complimentary cone of ice cream with peanut.

The food has great flavor and is presented nicely, 8.5/10. A wine pairing is not offered officially, but the wines by the glass that were offered to us were adequate and good value (around 6 euros per glass), 7/10. The service was friendly but just slightly sloppy here and there, 7/10. Ron Gastrobar is a very nice addition to what is available on the restaurant scene in Amsterdam, and I definitely recommend this place for it offers good value (especially if you don’t order surcharged options like truffle or foie gras).

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Frist time but not the last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We came here for a birthday dinner and the evening was perfect. The dishes we chose were so tasty and such clever twists on old favourites. The version of uitsmeijter was inspired as was the popcorn ice cream. All the staff were very friendly, professional and couldn’t have been more attentive. You actually got the impression that they were enjoying their work; that in itself is a recommendation.
Based on our first experience we shall certainly go back again and very, very soon.

The Netherlands
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had dinner in this restaurant with my wife and 2 others on November 20th, 2013. My wife had eaten there before and praised it highly so I was expecting good things. Unfortuantely I was disappointed. I had 2 seperate main courses which were ok but nothing special. My desert was dry and unpleasant.

The service was informal and good. I found the restaurant to be too noisy for my taste. Perhaps that is due to my age: at 65 I tend to appreciate tranquil surroundings.

I learned today that this restaurant has just been awarded a Michelin star. The Michelin people obviously didn't get dishes similar to mine!

• Visited November 2013