“Good by George”
Review of George W. P. A

George W. P. A
Reserve with
George W. P. A is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,930 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier)
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A bustling, open 7 days a week bistro with deli attached, popular with the
local literati and glitterati. It is out of the centre of town
The menu is extensive and the food fresh, well prepared and presented,
by the chef/owner and his small team.
The wine list is varied and reasonably priced.
Service is attentive without being overbearing
Overall this is well worth a visit

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I strolled here for lunch one day during our stay. Though the food was good (but highly overpriced for what they served - two tiny salads), the service was atrocious! Extremely slow and nerving.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Setting of the restaurant is great and very close to Vondelpark. They have fantastic coffees and one of the better egg scrambles I have had (tough to point to the best eggs but trust me...they are).

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Overall Not a cheap place (brunch for two 30euros minimum), some dishes are good but service has got still a long way to go. If you're there to see and to be seen or at least get a taste of richest neighbourhood of Amsterdam be my guest :) but you could as well do without

Reviewed November 28, 2012

To sum up this visit: as for the ambience - nice decor but the room was freezing cold - I was wrapped in my coat all evening and my feet were completely frozen and my colleague woke up with a terrible cold the next day. We waited 20 mins for the menus and 20 minutes for the waiteress to come and take our order. I have strong allergy to dairy which I told the waiteress about yet my starter arrived sprinkled with cheese. My main course was something different then I ordered. When I complained the waiteress said: "I was wondering if you wanted the steak tartare or this steak" - excuse me- I order steak "medium" and she's wondering if I want steak tartare and why oh why if she's wondering doesn't she clarify with me??? her colleague offered to take the meal back andbring me the correct meal - I thanked her but declined - didn't want to make fuss. The meal was okay but nothing spectacular (my steak was a bit too chewy but good homemade fries).

We all ordered tea as the room was so cold but the water for the tea didn't feel like it was boiling and the teapots come without lid so the tea was cold in a few minutes.

Two of us had desert and both were thrilled with it - probably the best part of the whole dinner.

I ordered coffee and a shot of whiskey with it (to make my own Irish coffee to get a bit warmer). Coffee arrived the whiskey never did (even though again the waitress was clarifying if I want ice or no ice so she did hear me when I was ordering it). It was not on the bill so again i didn't make any fuss but one person and two messed up orders during one dinner?

Lastly we had to ask for the bill twice and again spent together maybe 30 minutes waiting to pay.

In general during the whole evening it was hard to catch the attention of the staff.

One of us speaks Dutch and her impression was that they disliked us on the account of us being foreigners and probably suspecting us of being Russian (we are Czech and as the Russians occupied our country for 20 years we are not pleased about that). Also we were all pleasant and smiling to the staff so we didn't give them any reason for prejudice or anything like that. I was planning to use the restaurant for a board dinner in the future i'm glad I tried it out before bringing my bosses here...

Overall do not recommend though you may be more successful if you are Dutch...

1  Thank PragueMarti