1,179 results
All reviewshonesty barberry marcelthe red light districtbarber chaircentral stationcourtyard roomhonor barquirky hotellittle touchesyogurtquiet canalexcellent hostsmini fridgeevery morningthe ground floorfirst floordutch pancakes
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Brought my partner here for a surprise birthday trip - always a worry when taking full responsibility for choice of accommodation! I needn't have worried - Mauro Mansion was perfect! Spotlessly clean, good choice of breakfast with a different 'added extra' from Berry each morning, free drinks in your fridge with a very reasonably priced honesty bar in the breakfast room. Only a few minutes walk from the rail station and the bus/tram terminal so very handy for arrival/departure and day trips. Berry and Marcel are great hosts and very helpful. We had a ground floor room and weren't disturbed by noise from outside; you could hear people passing by but not intrusive. Great area; a combination of red light, gay and Chinatown! When we go back to Amsterdam I won't be researching accommodation - that part of the trip will be sorted already..... Unless of course they open up a second B&B!

4  Thank Monkeyplush
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this unique hotel. We cannot agree with the recent review from dubu. Yes the hosts were unassuming but it depends what you are looking for. We personally don't want hosts that are "in your face". Whenever we had a question or needed advice they were more than happy to help us out. Although there were no hot options for breakfast, there was plenty of other things on offer. We also had to leave early on our last day and Berry kindly advised that we could help ourselves to the cereals, crackers, juices, yogurts, meats and cheeses in fridge. You could actually do this on any morning if you wanted to make an early start on your day as breakfast did not begin until 9am which might be late for some. Our room was gorgeous with a canal view and yes was a little noisy at night but too bad. Well located with easy reach to the train station. We loved our 3 night stay and would definitely return.

6  Thank HolidayDreamer101
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a really nice stay.the location is perfect.Actually the whole package the hotel has its perfect,i loved the place.The owners are very friendly and helpfully. Coffee and tea for 24 hours for free and you can also used the fridge in the room ( also has some drinks for free). We arrive at the hotel in the morning at 10 o'clock and we only wait for an hour and our room was ready.They offer us breakfast as well until we wait. The have snacks if you want to by from the hotel in very reasonable price.You can also by your i Amsterdam card there and tickets for museums so you do not have to wait in lines.Also have WiFi for free.
If i will go to Amsterdam again in the near future i will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: rooms on the second flour are perfect with a very good view to the canal.
4  Thank GeorgiaGP
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Decided to stay based on the positive reviews and have not been disappointed.
It is true that you get what you pay for and the hotel have the balance just right in making your stay an enjoyable and unique experience.

I would certainly return here when I come back to Amsterdam.

4  Thank ksg_7
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I usually agree with 85% of the reviews in tripadvisor, I have used it to guide me for so many of my trips, including booking a wedding location in Nevis for my husband and I (based on reviews only, never seeing the place). I usually am in complete agreement with other reviewers. I was very excited to come to amsterdam and stay here. Unfortunately, I agree with another recent reviewer that gave this place 3 stars as well...hate to give a place a bad review, but I hope my review helps other travellers and maybe the management to hopefully change some things that were lacking in our visit.

Starting with the positives: central location, close to train station and 10-20 minutes away from most places by foot. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the canal, which had a nice view and our bed was very comfortable. The bathroom floor could be turned on to heat mode, which made it nice after getting out of a shower (our room had a bathtub/shower). The breakfasts were adequate (variety of cold cuts, cereal, bread, yogurt, juice).

Ending with the negatives: As another recent reviewer pointed out, I just felt the owners were not very friendly and appeared for the most part disattached from the guests. Every morning when we came down for breakfast or when we came back in from a day out, we would see one or the other in the lobby and say hello and that was it. No questions or comments on their part about what we were interested in seeing or what we did that day, the usual small talk you have with a host. There was a lack of friendly talking which I usually experience at a B+B. In the morning especially, most hosts will go around the room and check in with guests and make sure breakfast is going okay and just ask about plans for the day. In complete contrast, breakfasts were usually so quiet in the main room, very subdued, people were hardly talking, I felt I had to whisper to my husband as the atmosphere wasn't very lively and happy. There was just such a strange vibe, hard to describe. I felt I was sort of imposing on their home. There was no one ever hanging out in the main lobby, most people seemed to stay in their rooms. When we first checked in, we were just shown to our room and the lobby, no other explanations were given. There was a printed page on the table in our room giving some specifics on the hotel, but I wish one of the hosts had explained certain things about how the place was run. For example, it was an unusually cold march in Amsterdam and because the floors in the rooms are this hard black cement, it was a bit cold barefoot and in the room at night, but once under the covers I was fine. I discovered on our last night there that there was a way to turn the heat on in the room (there was a heater, but the knob was hidden), so it would have been nice if the hosts had given us a tour of our room and explained where things were. Another example was that there was coffee/tea making facilities inside a closet in the room, but because we were only staying 2 days, we didn't unpack our bags and so only on our last day when I was checking to make sure we didn't leave anything behind that I saw that stuff. Again, not a biggie, but usually this stuff would be pointed to us by a more involved host when we were shown our room. As another reviewer pointed out, the towels in the bathroom were small, I was okay, but my husband is 6 foot 2 and the towel when wrapped around his waist made him look like he was wearing a mini skirt. Breakfast was again adequate, but only cold breakfast materials were available, depending on the day, they would bring a small specialty plate (fruit or pancakes in a small plate), but it would have been nice to have a daily hot breakfast plate option (especially in winter time). Breakfast is also only served between 9-11 AM so if you leave our room earlier than that, you won't get breakfast. We had to leave by 8:30 AM on our last day and on our way out we weren't offered anything. On our stay in a B+B in London this same trip, we left even earlier at 7 AM, but our host was up to say good bye and packed us a brown bag with croissants, juice, yogurt for us to have on our train ride, she felt bad we were missing the hot breakfast and wanted to make sure we weren't hungry that morning. It is this small, personal, friendly human touches that I felt were lacking. The B+B home itself is beautiful and the rooms were very nicely decorated, but it felt the overall atmosphere was lacking and definitely worth 5 stars, I felt I could have gotten the same personal touch staying in a hotel. One more thing is if you stay facing the canal, there is noise coming from the street nearby (which runs by the central station) and you will hear an ambulance or car honking when it comes down the street in front of the hotel, I wore ear plugs which helped, but if you are sensitive to noises and want to sleep at night without interrruptions, ask for a room facing the back.

Again, sorry to give a bad review, but in my opinion, I would likely stay at a different location next time I am in amsterdam.

Room Tip: Rooms facing canal have a nice view, but do have street noise even on the 3rd floor. If you are sensitive to sounds and want to make sure you have uninterrupted sleep at night, stay in the rooms facing the back.
19  Thank dubu