“Hmmm - not worth number 1 - enjoyable though.”

Amsterdam in World War II Walking Tour
Ranked #4 of 381 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn about the terrible experiences of Amsterdam during the Nazi occupation of World War Two, visit the famous sites of the Golden Age. We also offer tailor made family tours. A must for those with a passion for History. For details and bookings go to our website.
Johannesburg
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Hmmm - not worth number 1 - enjoyable though.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I enjoyed the tour - it was led by Peter's partner, Ben, and was informative. It was not great, but it did tell the story of some of the Jewish activity during the war, and covered some of the key areas where important events took place. It is not expensive I thought - 25 Euro - and some things were quite fascinating... You are taken to a point, and shown a photo taken from that same point, showing some event from the war, and it's a bit unreal to see the actual road the armoured vehicles drove on.
Ben distributed a pamphlet containing the dates on which Jews living on a particular street were killed over a period, and it really does have the result of helping remove the "abstraction" that is associated with 6 million people killed, when you see the names and dates of dad, some time later, mom, and some time even later, baby or child, being killed - just on a specific street. For this I rate the tour well.
What was not great is it appeared towards the end Ben became more keen to get the tour over, and the last past felt rushed. He should also read up on Amsterdam trivia to improve the walk between attractions.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Sign up for this tour!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This tour was the highlight of my 4 day stay in Amsterdam. The information I learned from Peter was so impactful and well presented. I can't do the tour justice by trying to explain it - all of the positive reviews I read that lead to my decision to book this tour are true! I "researched" Amsterdam on my own before this trip by reading several guidebooks and books on the city during WWII, but reading facts in a book cannot be compared to this tour. Peter brought history alive by the historical photos he showed throughout the walk and his in-depth knowledge of the city's history. I really can't stop thinking about this tour and how thankful I am that Peter shares his expertise with others. I highly recommend anyone who's visiting Amsterdam to sign up for this tour. Thank you so much Peter!

Hilton Head, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Ditto, Ditto”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Not a lot to add as most of the reviews are very positve and rightfully so! Peter is a retired journalist and a native of Amsterdam. He went back to college and majored in history with his disertation on Amsterdam and World War II. The three hour tour is loaded with facts, figures and pictures of Amsterdam during the war. For a city known for its "Live and let live" attitude, Peter paints a different picture of Amsterdam after the German occupation of the city in 1940. More than 120,000 Jews were deported from the city to concentration camps where 85% of them died.
If you have any interest in World War II history and/or are Jewish, you should not miss this tour. I am not Jewish and have just a general interest in history, however, I found myself transported back 70 years, wondering how I would have fit in with the resistance movement. Peter is also a wealth of information about anything else Amsterdam. This tour may be the best bang for your Euro in all of Amsterdam!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Paul C
Historywalks, Owner at Amsterdam in World War II Walking Tour, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for encouraging review! I only want say that I just finished my Bachelor thesis about the rescue of the Danish Jews in October 1943, and that a major of history is far away :-)
Peter
Highland Park, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“very enjoyable tour”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful morning with Peter, visiting important historical sights from WW2. As others have noted, Peter is passionate about what he does and, in particular, is well versed on the holocaust and Dutch complicitcy/resistance. The tour is limited to just six people, so the pace is relaxed. It's also a wonderful way to get acquainted with the city, so I suggest you do the tour early in your visit.

Thanks, Peter

Visited October 2012
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent tour”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was a very informative tour which I would highly recommend. The other reviews give a lot more detail, I would just say that it really helped us to understand more about Amsterdam and its history.