“Lovely hotel but take your Platinum Card if you want a drink/ room service”

Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #110 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Very pleasant hotel with a lovely ambience. The rooms are nice and clean and the executive rooms have a great superking bed. There is a Churchill lounge with a large humidor offering an array of quality cigars which is a smoking lounge without a staff service.
The only downside to this beautiful hotel is that the focus of allthe staff seems to be to increase revenue rather than provide a service. Two vodkas at the hotel bar was 20 euros. Room service was limited and a burger cost 25 euros. I wouldn't expect to pay those prices in a 5 star hotel let alone a 4 star.
Don't let this put you off. As long as you don't mind not having room service at a reasonable price or using the bar for more than a couple of drinks then the hotel is an ideal base to explore the city. It is within a 5 minute walk from the nearest tram stop.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
WyndhamApollo, Hotelmanager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear your overall stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam was to your satisfaction. It is nice to notice you liked the Churchill Lounge and our selection of cigars.

We appreciate your remark on our prices; we will definitely use your comments in our next evaluation.

There are newer reviews for Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Reviewed March 31, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at the end of March for a city break. We booked it on last minute.com as a secret hotel so only paid £300 for 4 nights. The reviews on here were mixed though so we were a little concerned.
The only down side to our stay was the service from reception. We arrived early and thought we'd see if we could check in but unfortunately a room wasn't available. According to our booking, check-in was at 2pm but we arrived at 12pm so waited in reception. 2pm came though and we were then told by reception that their official check-in time was 3pm. It was a bit frustrating and we had hoped that as we were sat in reception for 3 hours they may have got a room ready but no, they kept us waiting until the bitter end!
After that it was all good though. We got given a lovely room (440) over looking the canal. It was very quiet and spacious. A really comfy bed. A good thermostat to get the room to the right temperature too so never too hot or cold!
The hotel is quite a long way out of the centre. However it only takes 10 minutes on the tram. We walked it a couple of times and it took 45 minutes. It is worthwhile getting a tram pass. It was 2.60€ for 1 hour, 7€ for 24 hours or 11€ for 48 hours. You can buy for longer if you want and you can hop on and off as much as you want then.
It was simple to get from the airport to the hotel. The train from the airport to central station run regulalry and cost about €6. Then get on the 24 or 5 tram outside the station to the Apollolaan Station. Turn left off the tram and the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.
Lots of great places to eat and drink. AllStars doesn't look much from outside but does the best steak!
Final point to warn you about. When we checked out of the hotel we were presented with a bill for a City Tax for each night of our stay which we weren't expecting. It cost us 17€ for the 4 nights.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to hear your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam was to your satisfaction. We think it is great you have enjoyed your room that much.

Regarding your comment on the check in procedure; could you please tell us if our reception staff informed you about the check in time our luggage room? This way we will be able to provide the service towards our guests.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

Booked this hotel a week and a half before our trip as a lastminute.com mystery hotel for £150 for friday and saturday. I was initially worried by previous reviews that it was going to be horrible, but we were pleasantly surprised on arrival. It was a bit far out, but for the price you'd expect that and it was lovely. We had been upgraded to a refurbished room (so maybe there are still some old rooms that could do with some attention) but our twin bedroom was comfortable and well furnished and the lobby and bar area was very plush and nice. Pretty much Malmaison/Crowne Plaza stylee. We were two late twenties girls up for exploring, but wanting a comfortable safe place to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. We are happy to notice your stay was to your satisfaction. We think it is great you were ‘pleasantly surprised’ about our hotel.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

Got charged twice 1 from expedia when i book it a month before i went, and the other from hotel when we booked out..Hotel is a bit far out form the centre... about 10 stops in the tram... if i was going to holland again i would book a bit closer to the centre...It was a beautiful hotel.. Breakfast far too expensive £22.50 pp.. rip off...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
WyndhamApollo, Hotelmanager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused when charging your room twice. Even so, we are happy to hear you liked the hotel and thank you for your comment on our breakfast, this will help us to improve our level of service..

Reviewed March 18, 2011

As I travel for business in Europe circa 10 times per year, and I am generally in Amsterdam at least two of those times, I will not be staying at this hotel again. Upon check-in I requested whether it would be possible for a room upgrade as I was booked on a first floor room and knew that I was staying in this hotel for 7 nights and paying circa US $2300 total. After some searching, the very nice gentleman at the reception said he was able to secure me an upgraded room on the 5th floor with a balcony - which I eagerly took.

Upon entrance to the floor, I was met with a large stain in front of the elevator. Obviously not the best omen. I entered the hotel room, which according to the fire escape chart was smaller than other rooms, but I discovered I had a large balcony which was quite an unexpected surprise and made up for the space. However, the room itself in no way shape or form matched the website pictures, the furniture was very run down which ample chips and cracks, the gold lounge chairs (which, while very comfy) had numerous stains all over them, the side table was wobbly with large cracks and plastic peeling off it, the tub had black mildew stains in the caulking, and somehow the toilet also had stains leading all the way into the bowls bottom. Overall, not a pleasant sight. On the plus side, the bed seemed comfortable.

So, I called down to reception, and requested a room that matched the website pictures. The receptionist asked which website did I use, as the pictures were not representative of the rooms available. I told her I used the Wyndham website. She said that the pictures used were put up by Wyndham as stock photos.

Then I inquired whether there were any rooms which had been renovated, and she tartly stated that she noticed I had already been upgraded to a larger room, but that if I absolutely wanted a smaller room which had the same view, but no balcony, but had been renovated that I could pay an additional 30 euros for one. Thanks, but no thanks - especially if the room might or might-not match the pictures on the website.

In prior trips to Amsterdam, I have stayed at the Hotel Okura, which is nearby the Wyndham, and the Park Hotel and Renaissance Amsterdam hotels downtown. I would recommend one of these hotels over this one until all the rooms are renovated and the pictures match the rooms. I uploaded some pictures which are more indicative of the rooms below for other TripAdvisors.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
WyndhamApollo, Hotelmanager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2011

Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for your review. Hereby I offer you my sincere apologies. Could you please provide me with your contact details? This way I will be able to take direct measures. If you not wish to provide your contact details on tripadvisor, please contact me via mt.wyndham@apollohotelsresorts.com

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 17, 2011

I booked this hotel as a mystery hotel - with a great offer of 2 for 1. On booking it - I was then able to see what the hotel was and the best ways t get around Amsterdam. The tips on these reviews really helped. When landing at Schipol airport, we caught the train to Amsterdam Zuid (8 euros each) and then either a number 5 or 24 tram to Apollolaan tram stop - the total journey took about 40 mins - which included a 5 minute walk from the tram stop to the hotel - a total of 21 euros as oppossed to the taxi of 40 euros. We got to the hotel at about 10 in the morning and left our luggage there. The checking in process was really smooth. The rrom was fine - bed really comfortable and show amazing (yes it did soak the floor - but the shower made up for it!!). We had just booked room only - as we wanted to explore the city and eat out. However, I did enquire as to how much the breakfast was and for a buffer was 22.50 euros - which I thought was very steep - so didn't eat there. On the whole, a really enjoyable stay - an I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carla2e
Reviewed March 15, 2011

+ good breakfast, good conference facilities, attentive staff, quiet
- rooms badly need renovation, uncomfortable bed, far away from all attractions
not a 4 star hotel by any means - 3* at best

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to remark on your stay at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam. We are sorry to hear our hotel did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately not all rooms have been renovated yet. This will be done in the future.

Although the room was not to your satisfaction, we are happy to notice that you have enjoyed the breakfast and conference facilities. And of course, it is always nice to hear our staff is attentive towards our guests!

Again thank you for your review.