“Go for the Appeltaart”

Cuisines: Diner, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Description: Winkel 43 is located on the Noordermarkt. It's in the heart of the Jewish quarter the ‘Jordaan’, which is known for its friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Because of its privileged location you'll be able to enjoy your coffee or lunch on our terrace on sunny days all year round. Winkel opens early in the morning till late at night. In the area our homemade apple pie became a general well known delicacy. Therefore tasting a slice is considered a must.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It's really just a cafe, but the appeltaart is famous. It's TOTALLY worth the hype. It's THAT good. It's a small, unassuming place, but it's got a lot of AMS locals inside, Dutch and International, and not a lot of tourists.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,904)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were excited to get a table at Winkel and were looking forward to some tasty fried snacks. When the waitress came and asked what we wanted to drink, I asked if they had a drink menu. "No." That was sort of the tone of the place. Perhaps we caught them on a bad day, but the waitress rolled her eyes when she took our order and then brought the wrong tea. The apple pie did look good, but I don't know that I'd go back to try it.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

A friend of ours suggested us to come here and try their apple pie. I can't thank myself much that i heard him. I have eaten a lot of apple pies in my whole cause i am a big fan of it; none of them is compared to this one. Heavenly taste!!!!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Looked forward to visiting this place based on reviews here. First of all we qued on a Saturday lunchtime down the street to get in....in the rain!

The place is so small you can't swing a cat in it....it is a self serve counter at the door and you basically order apple pie or not.....the place was heaving. how it proports to be a cafe/bistro type place is beyond me as my experience was uncomfortable

We are standing up as the place seats so few and we were josstled about and I wore my hot chocolate twice which was garnished with the cream from the apple pie....to top this the glass collector who was the rudest girl I have encountered in a long while showed no interest and told us to move from where she was juggling trays with a cloth

Apple pie however really is very good.....seriously good...but it's not worth the overall expereince

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Simply the best apple pie, like in all of Holland. Tables are packed on Saturdays, inside and out, as this place borders the bustling organic Noordermarkt farmer's market. But during the week they offer a unch menu also and it is really good. Creative, usually very good lunches at a decent price.