“Wonderful!”
Review of Ganesha

Ganesha
Reserve with
Ganesha is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #412 of 4,134 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I feel as if I am having an affair with another restaurant on the side. We are regular patrons of Koh-i-Noor but a few weeks ago we were on the other side of town from there, having parked in the new long stay parking at the Hilton near Central Station(10 euros if you park for 5 hours or more - bonus!) and didn't want to walk a long way in the rain. We were looking for comics for my youngest son at Henk's Comic Store on the Geldersekade and on the way there we passed Ganesha, which looked very inviting, so we went back.

We were very early, being seated at 6 pm, and had our usual favourites - a mixed grill to start, chicken tikka masala for my partner, naans, a mango lassi, lamb chops tandoori etc. The chef here has a light touch and the individual spices are quite distinct, whereas the Koh-i-Noor has more strident flavours, which is probably to do with the regional cuisine of each. My partner declared his tikka masala to be the best he had ever eaten, and the mixed grill was excellent, we wished we had ordered two! However, I have remained loyal to my tandoori lamb chops from Koh-i-Noor, which I feel are more tender and tasty.

The side dishes from Ganesha were exceptional, the portion sizes perfect, the price was reasonable and the ambiance here was very nice. The only niggle I had was that when I asked for chai it was just black masala tea, not the chai I am accustomed to - masala tea with condensed milk, but again, perhaps regional differences. The service was good, wonderful in fact, when you consider that only two people were responsible for serving the entire restaurant which was very full by the time we left.

The lavatories were also ok, but down a steep flight of steps, so something to bear in mind if you take someone with you who cannot navigate stairs.

Notable too, is that as the evening started to get underway, the restaurant filled up very quickly with Indian families so it is clearly authentic cuisine.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We sample Indian food in every country we visit and the food at Ganesha was some of the best. The restaurant is decorated in a very inviting way. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive- we had wonderful service throughout our meal. Prices were reasonable. Each entree came with basmati rice and both a fresh vegetable platter as well as a hot, mixed vegetable dish. Highlights of the meal were the tandoori chicken and the chicken tikka masala. The quality of the chicken was very high, nice pieces of white meat, and the seasoning was spot on. The chana ki dal was a flavorful mixture of both lentils and chickpeas. The paneer makheni came in a spicy cream sauce and was delicious too. The huge plate of basmati rice had fried onions on top which was a nice addition. Portions were huge. Everyone was very engaged in making sure we had an enjoyable meal, which we did.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I was here with a colleague and a friend in dec 2013. None of us were particularly brave with the menu but the chicken tikka masala was excellent! The service was good, the setting comfortable and the location extremely convenient. It was a Monday night and no booking was needed so it was a convenient, tasty, reasonably priced and very enjoyable meal.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We came upon this by accident. Excellent food, reasonably priced. Good atmosphere and easy to get to. Highly reccomended if you like Indian food.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant was just across the road from us in Amsterdam. We ate paneer vindaloo and chicken JalFrezie. Free poppadums to start, excellent service, a choice of wine. All meals included rice, salad and a hot vegetable mix, the curries were rich and tasty and I particularly liked the chicken meat in my curry, not just huge lumps of breast meat, but smaller strips which really soaked up the flavour. Why dont more restaurants do this ? A little pricier than the UK, especially the wine, but overall a very good meal.