“Extremely uninspired” 2 of 5 stars

Cafe Restaurant Pacifico
Ranked #2,887 of 3,368 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: The Pacifico launched in Amsterdam in 1976,is the first Mexican & Argentinian restaurant in the Nederlands and is still going strong. Situated on Amsterdam's Warmoesstraat between Central Station and De Wallen (the city's premium Red Light area), The menu offers a fine selection of Mexican & Argentinian dishes, all prepared from fresh ingredients, and served at reasonable prices. Here you can enjoy the best Mexican and Argentinian delicacies such as fajitas, tacos, nachos, guacamole and the special Argentinian steak BBQ. As well as the main restaurant there is also a bar area where one may enjoy an excellent selection of wines, beers, spirits, and some super cocktails.Soon we will open the Pub Salsa Pacifico where you can have fun with friends after dinner, you can enjoy our special cocktails. Special offers for reservation for birthdays,business dinners or a special dinner with your friends.
Oslo, Norway
“Extremely uninspired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Went here for steaks, and they were OK. However, everything else was bad, and the place was expensive to boot.

We ordered nachos and the server filled a bowl with cold nachos from a bag right by our table. Everything came with the same uninspired salad - even the corn cob came with corn next to it.

Also, the place looks like a hole with dust everywhere, trash lined up along the walls and a generally tired interior.

Stay away, you can get so much better food for less money nearby.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank kvasbo

Middlesex
“A huge let-down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have visited the restaurant in the past and it has been better than average but tonight...wow what a let down. I ordered Beef Fajitas with additional guacamole instead of the sour cream. The food arrived - with sour cream, in itself not a huge issue but I took the lid off of the tortillas to wrap my first Fajita noticed the tortilla was torn, making it impossible to wrap. The waiter said "no problem I make more". These never arrived despite my prompting on 2 occasions. The beef was incredibly tough (over cooked) and the while meal was a disaster.
I would have been slightly happier had they delivered fresh tortillas but instead they have an upset customer. - There are so many other restaurants in that area of Amsterdam that I now have no reason to return! Go for the Argentinian steakhouse next door :)

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Migwin
Memphis
“S-L-O-W service but decent food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

During a trip to AMS in late November, 2012 I stopped for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon.

Half of this restaurant is a bar, and the other is a restaurant with 15-20 tables.

Despite prompt initial seating, and being only only the third or fourth table to be seated in the time I was there, the service was uniformly slow.

It took awhile to get my drink order submitted, and even longer to get the it served from the bar (a bottle of the local, mass-produced beer). Then ordering an appetizer was a separate ordeal. To try to help speed things along, I ordered the appetizer and the main entree at the same time.

20 minutes later the appetizer arrived, and the chicken enchilada entree was presented well beyond that. The food (finally) arrived hot but was quite average.

The menu was smaller, but hit all the usual Tex-Mex fare standards. The chips that came with the appetizer were the highlight of the meal.

The pros of Cafe Pacifico:
* Good location on Warmoesstraat
* The beer was cold
* Prices were very reasonable

The Cons:
* Painfully slow food and drink service
* Smallish menu
* Minimum charge for credit card use
* Wifi not available
* Average food

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Toulon, France
“To avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The food was correct but nothing exceptional, the price not so cheap. As there was a minimum amount to paid with a credit card, I had to buy a dessert whereas I didn't want any. The waiters seemed to be extremely bored by the customers, so I think that the best is to let them alone...

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Gilles T
Alfter
“DON'T!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We had found good recommendations for Cafe Pacifico on the internet, that's why we went there. Maybe under the new management a lot has been changed for the worse. Or the cook was ill that night and a waiter had to cook instead. A waiter who had never cooked before. Well, I don't know - but what I do know is that I have never had a Mexican dish that was nearly as bad as this.
Specifics: Two of us ordered the ribs plus chicken wings which turned out to be OK but the MEXICAN food -which was, of course, the reason for us to go there in the first place - was just tasteless. I bet there wasn't even salt in either the chicken for the burrito or the minced meat for the Fajita, not to mention any other spices. To make up for this, about half of the filling was onion. Now I'm as glad as anyone to help people increase their profit margin but I'm sure a little more meat wouldn't have done any harm. The service was OK and we really liked the Mojitos but since we didn't go there for cocktails it still remained an unsatisfactory experience. Don't make the same mistake. Enjoy your stay in Amsterdam, it's a great city!

Visited May 2012