“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #185 of 216 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I wasn't expecting much given that it was a 'budget' hotel. The room was small, the bed OK and a TV in the room. Fair enough. However the bathroom was revolting. It was poorly (as in not) ventilated and stank of damp. There was evidence of mould in the bathroom and the bedroom consequentially. The shower had a broken rail so we had to hold it and the shower tray did not drain properly and water was left standing. We also had no hot water for two mornings (out of four). I expected the basics to be much better and I'm genuinely surprised that they are allowed to have people stay in such conditions.

The staff were friendly and spoke immaculate English, however I felt it summed it up when they didn't even ask how our stay was. I wonder why?

Definitely not recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gingerdan85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hungarian first
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've never stayed in a bad hotel like this...nothing was good except the staff. available to correct the issue... but too many issues to stay there.
Unfortunately we stayed there during a FULL period for the city, before the Queen Party, so all hotel were completely full.
We stayed there just the first night and then we moved to the center.
It's very expensive to reach the hotel during the night (ONLY TAXI), and too many long during the day (more than 45 mins with bus/tram).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andrembolo

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were charged 80 euros for a night (Saturday) which was absolutely overpriced. The room was dirty, very dusted in the headboard. The toilet is really old and needs refurbishing. It's quite far away from town, about 20 min by tram (and some extra euros!). Breakfast is served in the hotel next door, which was simple but good (3.75 euros). I wouldn't recommend Toko for its price, lack of cleaninless and location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cristina A
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

it was €100 for 3 days.
price = great
the hostel was a prefab and looked like something from the 1960s but if you can get over that it was very nice and VERY clean.
the rooms were a nice size.
but the fact that the hotel is right across is a deadly tease.
it was hard to get to but once you knew where it was it was great the tram 2 is right outside which leads you to everywhere you need to go.
the people who worked there were so nice. I absolutely loved them!

Room Tip: hostel world
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hollieday91
Kastrup, Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is situated in the western part of Amsterdams suburbs, wich are known for their high crime rate.
I had ordered a dormitory room, so I knew I should share the room with somebody else.
When I came to my room there were two guys in there: The man who had rented the other bed and his fat old friend, who were lying in my bed, with his shoes on smoking cigarettes.
The room was dirty and had an awful smell.
In the reception I asked to be moved to another room, since I did not feel safe leaving my stuff with my "roommate". This was not possible, and the receptionist could not help me with my problem, so I checked out right away.
I will never again consider staying at Budget Hostel Bargain Toko.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael J
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

i stayed here with my boyfriend last year, it was absolutely terrible! the shower was literally a hose poking out the wall, the toilet leaked faeces over the floor every time it was flushed! the room was very small too, it was only 10euros a night, but ive paid that elsewhere and got far more nicer surroundings! also it was very far out of town, in which i can only describe as the 'ghetto', the metro took about 35minutes or so to get back into town centre.
so even if you are backpacking (which we were) defo do not stay here, just because of the price, believe me, its worth paying like 5-10 euros more a night to get better quality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vickski
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

So I booked a ticket and didn't notice the long hour overstay at the airport. When I noticed I had 13 hrs, I decided to check in at Hem hotels. This was the first and would be last mistake I'll ever make with my money. The room I was given was the size of a dog cage (my dog cage). I complained to the manager but he said he had no other rooms left. The windows couldn't even open. I had to sleep there till morning before rushing off. Their meals were terrible too. If you are looking for a place to sleep and enjoy a view, you are better of at Schipol Airport!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo