“Overpriced”

West Side Inn Hostel Bargain Toko
Ranked #196 of 237 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were charged 80 euros for a night (Saturday) which was absolutely overpriced. The room was dirty, very dusted in the headboard. The toilet is really old and needs refurbishing. It's quite far away from town, about 20 min by tram (and some extra euros!). Breakfast is served in the hotel next door, which was simple but good (3.75 euros). I wouldn't recommend Toko for its price, lack of cleaninless and location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cristina A

Reviewed September 19, 2012

it was €100 for 3 days.
price = great
the hostel was a prefab and looked like something from the 1960s but if you can get over that it was very nice and VERY clean.
the rooms were a nice size.
but the fact that the hotel is right across is a deadly tease.
it was hard to get to but once you knew where it was it was great the tram 2 is right outside which leads you to everywhere you need to go.
the people who worked there were so nice. I absolutely loved them!

Room Tip: hostel world
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank hollieday91
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is situated in the western part of Amsterdams suburbs, wich are known for their high crime rate.
I had ordered a dormitory room, so I knew I should share the room with somebody else.
When I came to my room there were two guys in there: The man who had rented the other bed and his fat old friend, who were lying in my bed, with his shoes on smoking cigarettes.
The room was dirty and had an awful smell.
In the reception I asked to be moved to another room, since I did not feel safe leaving my stuff with my "roommate". This was not possible, and the receptionist could not help me with my problem, so I checked out right away.
I will never again consider staying at Budget Hostel Bargain Toko.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed July 20, 2012

i stayed here with my boyfriend last year, it was absolutely terrible! the shower was literally a hose poking out the wall, the toilet leaked faeces over the floor every time it was flushed! the room was very small too, it was only 10euros a night, but ive paid that elsewhere and got far more nicer surroundings! also it was very far out of town, in which i can only describe as the 'ghetto', the metro took about 35minutes or so to get back into town centre.
so even if you are backpacking (which we were) defo do not stay here, just because of the price, believe me, its worth paying like 5-10 euros more a night to get better quality.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vickski
Reviewed January 31, 2012

So I booked a ticket and didn't notice the long hour overstay at the airport. When I noticed I had 13 hrs, I decided to check in at Hem hotels. This was the first and would be last mistake I'll ever make with my money. The room I was given was the size of a dog cage (my dog cage). I complained to the manager but he said he had no other rooms left. The windows couldn't even open. I had to sleep there till morning before rushing off. Their meals were terrible too. If you are looking for a place to sleep and enjoy a view, you are better of at Schipol Airport!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2011

As mentioned by other reviewers, the rooms are basic but met all the "minimum requirements" of services and hygiene- even though tall people might have a hard time fitting their legs while sitting on the toilet! Despite being quite out of town, the Metro is within a short walking distance and there are even a the Lidl and an albert Heijn right by the complex to bag a few essentials while on your way to the city.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tigull
Reviewed February 26, 2011

The room was very basic, and we were expecting a little bit more in terms of appearances, but it was fine for the purpose of just having a bed for the night. I would compare it to a school-camp style lodging. if your backpacking around, it is absolutely fine, the only thing for us was that it was too far out of town. I think in retrospect, it would have been better to spend a bit more money on something closer to town than have the hassle and time-wastage of commuting.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple