“Great food and helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Het Melkmeisje

Het Melkmeisje
Ranked #1,170 of 3,767 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European, Dutch
Good for: Romantic
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Egham, United Kingdom
“Great food and helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We chose this restaurant based on the reviews here and we were not disappointed. I'm glad we had booked because within 10 minutes of arriving people were being turned away. It's a fairly limited menu but there is enough choice to appeal to most people. We started with the Brown Shrimp with Avocado (delicious) and the Carpaccio (melted in the mouth) followed by Steak and the Ostrich (medium). The food was quite simply delicious and the wine menu had a good selection of reasonably priced wines that complimented the food.

The staff were very friendly and attentive. The kitchen which is open is tiny - it's incredible that they can produce such wonderful food. We will definitely return here next time we are in Amsterdam.

• Visited April 2013

• Hebrew first
Southborough, Massachusetts
“Great relaxing dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Wanted a restaurant within a short walk from our hotel (The Doubletree). This was perfect, very quaint, lovely ambiance (except for the taxidermy animal that I thankfully saw after I ate....it was pretty sad looking!!) and the people were very welcoming. My husband had the perch, my son had the pork dish and I had the special which was a veal dish. The veal was so tender - it just melted in my mouth! The restaurant is small but they don't rush you out. If I ever did return to Amsterdam I would definitely return to the Milkmaid!

• Visited March 2013
Henrietta, New York
“Another great dinner experience in Het Melkmeisje”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

After a full day of sightseeing and shopping in Amsterdam, Het Melkmeisje is a great place to have a very relaxing atmosphere to sit down and have a great meal. There is no pressure to "finish up and leave", you can take all the time you need to enjoy the great food. This was the second time I visited this restaurant.
The place is very small, but that helps to provide a nice cozy environment, there is even a private room downstairs, but I've not been there (yet). The menu is also small, but it is all very good, well prepared and tasty. I really enjoyed my carpaccio appetizer and salmon.

• Visited November 2012
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Small, but great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a flight attendant on my flight to Amsterdam. We walked past it a couple of times (it was too early), but finally got in one night. It was worth the wait. The restaurant is small and their menu is somewhat limited. I had the special (Guinea hen) and my husband had the ostrich. Both were incredible. We were too full for dessert...would have liked to have tried something tho. Next time! It is small and was "smaller" because there was a big group that came in just after we did, but it was fun being "part" of their group. The kitchen is somewhat visible from the dining room and I can't imagine how the chef turns out such wonderful dishes in that small space! It is in a fringe area and there is a LOT of foot traffic outside, but it is really a sweet little place. We'll go back to this one.

• Visited October 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Flew 4000+ Miles For Dinner...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is now my forth time at this restaurant and I can't pass through Europe without now stopping in Amsterdam and having dinner. I find myself making up reasons to go and justifying it to my boss so that Amsterdam is part of my travel iteniery just so that I can stop and have dinner.

As in past reviews, I can't get enough of this restaurant. It's located in Amsterdam a brisk walk from the Central Station and very close to the red light district. The area is very "alternative" and it's totally surrounded by gay bars, but don't let that detour you in anyway.

This is a SMALL place. Less than ten tables, a single waiter and a single chef. So, if you're on a schedule or not interested in a two hour dinner experience, then look elsewhere.

The wine list is extensive, all reasonably priced, opened table side and served with proper glassware.

I always get the same thing, so I'm not a great review from that’s point of view. The fresh country pate as an appetizer and the grilled ostrich as an entre. Usually a nice french Boudreaux with dinner and then one of their many vintage ports with a cheese plate for desert.

With appetizers, drinks, desert and coffee it works out to about 50 Euro per person. To me a GREAT DEAL for the quality of food, atmosphere and overall experience.

Again, this is one of my ten favorite places on the planet, so I strongly recommend it to anyone.

• Visited November 2012