“Don't miss this one.”

Het Melkmeisje
Ranked #2,035 of 4,143 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Avery lovely spot, next to a canal with a waiter who is warm and friendly. The food is terrific and very well presented.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

A small restaurant that was busy with a group when we arrived. No problem. The staff quickly sorted our table & we were served promptly. The food was good & the wine acceptable. Definately go back.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Went to this restaurant on a trip to Amsterdam from the UK with my partner for a romantic evening. On arriving was very pleased, was small but very cosy and romantic and rustic. There was only one waiter who was very nice and warm. He recommended a wine to us which was very good and the menu was full of things we loved - steak, venison, pork etc. We couldnt decide whether to pick the special venison in cranberry jus or to try the ostrich which we had never had before. We asked the waiter for his reccomendation and he said to try to ostrich which we did.

I have never tased anything sooo gorgeous!!! Who knew ostrich would be so tasty! Its a mix between fillet steak and venison and would definately have it again.

Overall very pleased with the restaurant and would happily go back again and again.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Past reviews encouraged me to try 'The Milkmaid' and overall the experience was fairly positive. The restaurant consists of a single room, open to the small kitchen. Eight tables give a capacity of around 40-45 diners. The whole is cosy, clean and attractive - red and white cloths, sparkling glasses and cutlery, warm dark-oak panelling. I was served by the owner and the one waitress and also chatted to the chef and his assistant - the total personnel - all of them pleasant and friendly. My starter was smoked goose, followed by pheasant and ending up with crepes suzette. All of these were well-presented with good accompaniments and ample portions. So why not five stars? Simply that each of the dishes was a little bland, lacking the delicious flavours I was expecting. The weakest was the crepes, slightly soggy and again with no zing! Perhaps the chef was off form, but I wouldn't be longing to go there again.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

I had the opportunity this week to revisit the Melkmeisje and my dining experience was as usual....GREAT !!! Jan, the owner...treated myself and a colleague warmly and was efficient as usual. In keeping with the winter season, the appetizer special was a goose dish and the special of the day was a pheasant dish. I always am happy to see game meat and root vegetables in the winter, so the special menu was perfect for the growing chill in the air as Amsterdam prepares for winter. As always, the restaurant was cozy as ever and a bottle of crisp French and steely Chardonnay was a perfect match to the hot mushroom appetizers and roast pheasant.

I did observe that the chef was wearing a sharp black apron, i(instead of white) which hid any kitchen stains and never once did he take a smoke break outside the front entrance during our meal, as previusly described in a past review. The Melkmeisje only gets better and better....!! BRAVO, Jan !!