“Cozy restaurant, good food”
Review of Eetcafe Koevoet

Eetcafe Koevoet
Ranked #867 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jordaan
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I had dinner on Saturday evening with my fiancee on a recommendation by some local lawyers that eat out a lot.

Their first recommendation was the burrata (sometimes off menu). It was the special of the day for EUR 29.00. A bit pricey, however the size is huge! The burrata itself is probably the size of a small grapefruit/softball. It was served on top of a bed of arugula, half cut cherry tomatoes, balsamic, olive oil, and on the top it was covered with plenty of parma ham.

You can treat this as a meal in itself, or an appetizer that should definitely be split by at least 2 people. A 3rd could have easily been added.

Based on the same recommendation, I ordered that tagliatta di manzo, which is essentially a beefsteak salad. The plate arrived, large oval platter, with arugula, parmesan shavings, and medium-rare seared steak strips. It was good, but I would consider this an appetizer to be shared and not a main course. I should have gone with a pasta dish instead!

My eyes wondered constantly around the restaurant at the pasta dishes coming out. My fiancee chose the carbonara, which while tasted good, did not seem to be a true carbonora. It resembled pasta with alfredo sauce more than an eggy/parmesan mess. The pasta itself was terrific, thicker than spaghetti (forget the cut). I saw other dishes roaming around the small dining room...raviolis, seafood pasta, etc...

For dessert we split the tartuffo which was ok. This place will not win any awards for its desserts, but I would probably recommend a tiramisu instead on the next try.

Would I go back? I have to try the other go-to Italian places, namely Toscanini and Bussia before I make that determination.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. The place is very cute, small, and lends to a nice atmosphere. The servers were very nice and the place is no frills, just the way I like it. Make reservations ahead of time as they only have 10 tables and 2 seatings (from what I have heard). I called on Thursday evening for a Saturday reservation and did not have a problem.

There are newer reviews for Eetcafe Koevoet

Reviewed January 20, 2012

What a fun setting for excellent traditional Italian food: a century old brown Dutch interior. Lovely food, welcoming atmosphere, and fairly reasonable in price.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were 6 friends going to this place as one of us had heard that it should be a good place, and we could not have been more disappointed.

Service was very slow (nothing unusual for the Netherlands), but the food was really lousy. I had grilled scallops for which I paid 13 euros and got 2 small scallops that were so full of bread crumbs that there was no taste of scallops at all and the bread crumbs were burnt. My main dish was pasta with gorgonzola. Im not sure if the had forgotten the gorgonzola, but it did not taste anything, I would have made this dish myself much much better.
I will never go to this place again considering the lousy food and fairly high prices

1  Thank JohnJohnsa
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were prepared to go to a fine (read: expensive) Dutch restaurant we had heard about and had been recommended in the guide books when our hotel clerk told us about Koe, just a block or two away from the hotel.

We had a terrific meal in warm, friendly surroundings, The menu was posted on the wall and the waitress translated it for us and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The food and beer was excellent and more than reasonable. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

The staff was very rude. Instead of making us feel welcome they made us feel not welcome at all, simply because of the fact that we came with a smaller group (12 instead of 15) due to last minute cancellation of some members of the group. Although it would have been better to leave at once, we decided to give them a chance and stayed. We drank and ate more then enough to compensate the three missing, but they remained unfriendly the entire evening. On top of that, the food was not that great either. We/I will never come here again.

2  Thank L B