“OK Dutch Food, Awful Dutch Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro Bij Ons

Bistro Bij Ons
Reserve with
Bistro Bij Ons is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #874 of 3,767 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Ramat Gan, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OK Dutch Food, Awful Dutch Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I like Dutch people. I say this not just as a tourist, I've actually spent a semester in Rotterdam a few years back. Most of the Dutch people were kind and helpful, with rare exceptions as I guess one would encounter all over the world.

The owner of this restaurant unfortunately represents such an unpleasant exception. While the food is good (in Dutch cuisine standards - mind you), the service is awful. I know this could happen sometimes in a "local" family establishment, however the owner was rude, impatient, complained that we asked too many questions and even added a few racists remarks. This is no way to treat customers, and I am the last one expecting groveling service.

Visit this place at your own risk.

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“Best Meal in Amsterdam!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Let me start by saying two things. You MUST come here while in Amsterdam for a traditional Dutch dinner, and you MUST make a reservation. This little gem on the Prinsengracht is a stone's throw from Anne Frank House and Westerkerk Church. The restaurant is a tiny bistro by the canal and is recognizable by the statue of the little Dutch Girl standing outside. There are not many tables and this is why a reservation is necessary. "Bij Ons" means "With Us" in Dutch, and your hosts for the evening will be Esther and Carla. Carla is a blonde lady with a short haircut who is just wonderful. She is loaded with personality and makes you feel right at home. The menu is relatively limited, but I suggest that you come simply to have the traditional Dutch Meal - "Stamppot". The Stamppot consists of mashed potatoes,with vegetables, gravy and bacon served with a meatball, smoked sausage or stewed beef. On my waitress' recommendation I chose the Stamppot with Stewed Beef. In her words - "I'd get outta bed for Stewed Beef"....LOL! And she was right! The Stamppot was fabulous - so delicious. One person in our party tried it with the sausage option and I tasted it - very good. The meatball option for Stamppot also looked very good. Had a couple of bottles of red wine which were very reasonable. We loved the "Face to Face" Spanish wine that went very well with the Stamppot. Dutch Apple Pie for dessert was a great final touch to this super evening. You can't go wrong at Bistro Bij Ons - and say hello to Carla! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

3 Thank galileocan
Los Angeles
“Convenient and really yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

It was rainy and cold so we didn't want to venture too far from the hotel. This restaurant was a great find! Better than the Dutch food we had at other places, reasonably priced, and location was awesome. I would def. go back.

• Visited September 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Delicious and Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lots of lunch places were closed on Easter Monday and a bitter wind was blowing, so we were ready to try just about anything when we chanced upon Bij Ons. Stamppot, pea soup and fries were really good and the atmosphere in the small room was warm and friendly. Not sure which of the owners was on-site, but she was very outgoing and funny, and a great whistler! Enjoyed our food and our chat - and the "Bride's Tears" digestif - very much. Highly recommended for well-prepared, simple Dutch food and a warm welcome.

Dublin, Ireland
“Service? What service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I will start by saying that the traditional Dutch food we ordered was great and that added a star to this review. Others have mentioned the decor as well which is well arranged and comfortable. The reason that I would never go back to this place and warn every person possible to avoid this place is the service.

Not only was the server rude to us but we felt almost uncomfortable with how rude she was to every customer in the place. It was the unfriendliness to her tone when she asked if we were ready to order or what we wanted to drink and when I asked for a spoon she tossed it into the soup rather than handing it to me. The biggest compliant on my side was with regard to an order of bread which ended up on my bill. When the dinner was brought to the table, she also brought bread. We ordered soup and two mains so we just thought this was part of the meal. We didn't ask for it but some nice restaurants do that. Half way through the meal she asked if we ordered the bread and I said no and she answered back that it was her mistake and then left. To my surprise when the bill came, the bread was on the bill. Her response was that she asked if I ordered it and I said no, but I ate it and so wanted to keep it. She ended up removing it from the bill, however I have not been so offended by the service level of a restaurant that I can remember.

We left this place bitter and not happy with our first meal in Amsterdam. The kind of feeling where you question if you really just dropped 40€ on that place. I am taking this as an isolated service issue to this restaurant as I have heard such great things about so many restaurants in this city. I would avoid coming here and try somewhere else.

Visited March 2013