“Futuristic, modern library”

Central Library (Openbare Bibliotheek)
Ranked #18 of 600 things to do in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 8, 2017

This is a very welcoming place for a quick visit or a longer stay. The library is well-lit, with many study carols and internet access stations. A large children's section is available on the lower level. The only reason I didn't give this a top rating was that the top two levels (which include the observation area listed in guidebooks) were closed. Signage is good and available in both Dutch and English.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,914)
All reviews
"top floor"
in 411 reviews
"children's section"
in 24 reviews
"great view of the city"
in 29 reviews
in 52 reviews
"canal"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2017

This library is enormous for my standards, I appreciate the great collection of Dutch and international literature, friendly staff and the restaurant on the top floor. Great place for studying and great, central location too.

Reviewed July 7, 2017

My wife wanted to sleep, and I wanted to read but reading in the room would have meant turning on lights, making some small sounds and disturbing her sleep. It was suggested to me to go to the nearby library.

A most impressive building in a very nice neighborhood, not far from Centraal Station, the library appears to be a most active place. There were many people there when I visited in the afternoon, and that same night, returning from a birthday party at approximately 22:30 I passed the library which still had many people entering and leaving..

I admit that I didn't visit all the floors, nor did I look at the book collection. I found a nice quiet spot on the 3rd floor with a nice view of the river and read for more than an hour.

Reviewed July 4, 2017

We visited the library with 2 children and librarian husband. The children's section is massive and lots to engage youngsters! The Mouse Mansion was amazing! The staff were wonderful and directed us to nearby Nemo roof terrace for lunch (free to enter this part) with interactive water features. Also we were able to leave bags with library security.