“Incredible”

Central Library (Openbare Bibliotheek)
Book In Advance
More Info
$38.05*
and up
Amsterdam Bike Culture Tour: Off the Beaten Path
Ranked #28 of 584 things to do in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Probably the best restaurant in town (in a shoestring trip) with an unique view of the city. And yes, we are talking about a library. There is a restaurant (La Place) in the top floor. Just get in.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)
All reviews
"modern architecture"
in 26 reviews
"book lovers"
in 13 reviews
"great view of amsterdam"
in 14 reviews
in 24 reviews
"dutch"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Sadly you have to me a Dutch citizen to become a member of this incredible place but it is worth a visit all the same. An 8 storey representation of pretty much all that I love about The Netherlands!

It is modern, clean and environmentally friendly. It is free! Rows upon rows of books, CDs and everything else you expect from a library. Not to mention free wifi, laptops, computers, a piano which is free to play, art exhibitions and a live radio broadcast when I last visited! There are also private "pods" to enjoy some time to yourself, which is rare in the middle of any city.

To top it all off, literally, there is the La Place cafe/restaurant on the top floor. Good, nutritious food cooked in front of you and very affordable. Or you can just enjoy the tea and coffee with the delicious cakes. All whilst enjoying the spectacular panoramic view of the Amsterdam skyline.

If I was a local I know this place would be my second home.

1  Thank StephenEamonn
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We went to this place on our last day, simply because it was close to our hostel. I didn't expect much, I saw that the bulding was huge and well...it's a library, usually libraries are not among tourist attractions... But we spent an hour there! The most modern cultural complex I've ever seen, it's free of course and the view from the cafe on the top is a nice place to take photos of the bay. I can only recommend it!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I love this library. It is modern and bright and has a great children's section. It is many floors of an extensive selection of all books, including a large reference section.
The best part...a 'mini' La Place gourmet cafeteria type restaurant on the top floor - great food, great atmosphere and a great view of the city!
It is easy to spend hours at this wonderful library!