New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Restaurant Vlaming

Restaurant Vlaming
Ranked #40 of 3,558 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European, Central European, International, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Small, cosy family-owned restaurant. Excellent quality - price relation. Nice selection of wines. Situated at the canal side, not far from the Anne Frank House
Milan, Italy
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The meat was great, ad well as the dessert. The owner was really kind and willing to help us choosing our dishes. The price was fair.

Birmingham
“Great food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

We had a lovely meal here. The service was excellent, the food was very tasty and well presente and was reasonably well priced. The waitress was very informative and both happy and confident to advise. It's a relaxed venue and we'd happily return

Visited November 2013
1 Thank scout6624
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, did not live up to expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on other reviews but was very disappointed. The staff were lovely and service was great and it was a lovely little place, but the food was poor. I ordered a salmon special main course which came swimming in a sauce with mini shrimps and as I don't eat seafood and this was not mentioned on the menu I was quite horrified so had to ask for a new one without the shrimp. Salmon was overcooked and tasteless, vegetables were boring and my companion's salad was limp and dull. I won't be going back...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BizTravAnd
Frans1951, Eigenaar at Restaurant Vlaming, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear guest from London, I'm really sorry to see that you were not satisfied after your visit to us.
Indeed we didn't mention every single ingredient of the "special of the day" on the menu at the wall. The chef most probably thought that it would be a good idea to combine two different (sea) fishes, maybe just for the sight of it. And that fish should swim he maybe took too literary :o))
We will talk to the kitchen team how to improve dishes like this.
I noticed that you stayed in the Okura hotel, with 2 (!!) Michelin star restaurants under its roof, which are rated after our brasserie: so maybe indeed your expectations were too high: we ourselves don't pretend to be at that level. I appreciate that you, like most of our guests, underline the quality of our staff and the warm atmosphere of our restaurant.
Best regards, Frans Vlaming
Paris, France
“Wonderful service and atmosphere, decent food, reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Pro: Absolutely wonderful service and atmosphere. We had a concert to catch, and the staff was extremely accommodating to our need of having a rushed dinner, and called a taxi for us. I ordered a 4 euro side of cooked vegetables and it was huge!
Con: My friend really wanted me to give the restaurant 5 "stars". I had nothing at all to complain about the food, it was just not special or outstanding.. My 13 euro fish (plat du jour) was tasty. My friend's 13.5 euro guinea fowl (also plat du jour) was alright. The chocolate mousse desert was alright.
Tip 1: Make reservation.
Tip 2: Get the right address. The website is a little bit confusing. I made reservation for Brasseir Vlaming, but went to the other location (same owner I think, Vlaming eten & drinken). They are not far apart though.

East Lothian
“Excellent recommendation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a lovely evening here recently. Tried to book at the main restaurant but it was fully booked so the owner suggested this as an alternative and then made the booking for us - all by email!! Food was lovely. Decor is modern but atmospheric. Staff were great. We lingered for quite a while and weren't rushed in any way. Just wish we had been there long enough to allow us a return visit. Prices are good value too!!