“Disappointing, did not live up to expectations” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Vlaming

Restaurant Vlaming
Prinsengracht 193a, 1015 DS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))
31204272063
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 3,335 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European, International, Grill, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Small, cosy family-owned restaurant. Excellent quality - price relation. Nice selection of wines. Situated at the canal side, not far from the Anne Frank House
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, did not live up to expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on other reviews but was very disappointed. The staff were lovely and service was great and it was a lovely little place, but the food was poor. I ordered a salmon special main course which came swimming in a sauce with mini shrimps and as I don't eat seafood and this was not mentioned on the menu I was quite horrified so had to ask for a new one without the shrimp. Salmon was overcooked and tasteless, vegetables were boring and my companion's salad was limp and dull. I won't be going back...

1 Thank BizTravAnd
Frans1951, Eigenaar at Restaurant Vlaming, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear guest from London, I'm really sorry to see that you were not satisfied after your visit to us.
Indeed we didn't mention every single ingredient of the "special of the day" on the menu at the wall. The chef most probably thought that it would be a good idea to combine two different (sea) fishes, maybe just for the sight of it. And that fish should swim he maybe took too literary :o))
We will talk to the kitchen team how to improve dishes like this.
I noticed that you stayed in the Okura hotel, with 2 (!!) Michelin star restaurants under its roof, which are rated after our brasserie: so maybe indeed your expectations were too high: we ourselves don't pretend to be at that level. I appreciate that you, like most of our guests, underline the quality of our staff and the warm atmosphere of our restaurant.

Paris, France
“Wonderful service and atmosphere, decent food, reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Pro: Absolutely wonderful service and atmosphere. We had a concert to catch, and the staff was extremely accommodating to our need of having a rushed dinner, and called a taxi for us. I ordered a 4 euro side of cooked vegetables and it was huge!
Con: My friend really wanted me to give the restaurant 5 "stars". I had nothing at all to complain about the food, it was just not special or outstanding.. My 13 euro fish (plat du jour) was tasty. My friend's 13.5 euro guinea fowl (also plat du jour) was alright. The chocolate mousse desert was alright.
Tip 1: Make reservation.
Tip 2: Get the right address. The website is a little bit confusing. I made reservation for Brasseir Vlaming, but went to the other location (same owner I think, Vlaming eten & drinken). They are not far apart though.

East Lothian
“Excellent recommendation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a lovely evening here recently. Tried to book at the main restaurant but it was fully booked so the owner suggested this as an alternative and then made the booking for us - all by email!! Food was lovely. Decor is modern but atmospheric. Staff were great. We lingered for quite a while and weren't rushed in any way. Just wish we had been there long enough to allow us a return visit. Prices are good value too!!

San Diego, California
“Did not meet expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Visited Vlaming on Prinsengraft on Nov-3, 2013 based on TA ranking and found the food not meeting our expectations. The general atmosphere in the restaurant is OK, it fills quickly at 20:00 and becomes very noisy, service is very slow but friendly. We have ordered beef steak and tuna steak based on TA reviews. Steak was somewhat chewy and the tuna was dry, both tasted plain. Presentation was good and appetizers and dessert were good too. Next night we went to Van Speyk and the food there was delicious, in a striking contrast to Vlaming.

• 3 of 5 stars
Frans1951, Eigenaar at Restaurant Vlaming, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear guest from San Diego, thank you for taking the trouble to write your comments.
The Sunday (normally not so busy) you visited us we indeed had a new, young girl in service who we are training to become a good waitress and I suppose therefor things went a bit slower than usually. Most of the writers of reviews even underline the quality of our staff....
The Dutch organic steak you refer to replaced, also for environmental reasons (air freight etc.), the Black Angus from the USA which we served befor. And indeed this beef has a bit more "bite", but the taste is very good as a lot of guests underline. I'm sorry the tuna was not so perfect as normally: the fish is so sensitive that even a hot plate can make it a little overdone.
I'm glad for you that your visit to the other restaurant made a success from your stay in Amsterdam anyway!!
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great customer service, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The appetizers and dessert was great. Main course was ok. The atmosphere and the service made up for a lot as they were super friendly and helpful. Knowledgeable about the wine.
We sat at the big table by the kitchen which was ok. We couldn't see the chefs, just had the light from the kitchen on our table, so I probably wouldn't recommend asking for that particular table.
Definitely a good night!

• 3 of 5 stars
Dear guest, I'm glad you underlined the quality of our service: we indeed have a friendly, hard working team. You gave us an overall rating of 3 stars, which means "average". When I count the total of your stars of the 4 categories I come to 15, which gives 3,75 = 4 stars. This would be more in conformity with your overall comments I think :o))
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I hope to see you back some other time.