“Wonderful service and atmosphere, decent food, reasonable price”
Review of Eetcafe Vlaming - CLOSED

Eetcafe Vlaming
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Eetcafe Vlaming is closed but you can find us at Restaurant Vlaming
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Pro: Absolutely wonderful service and atmosphere. We had a concert to catch, and the staff was extremely accommodating to our need of having a rushed dinner, and called a taxi for us. I ordered a 4 euro side of cooked vegetables and it was huge!
Con: My friend really wanted me to give the restaurant 5 "stars". I had nothing at all to complain about the food, it was just not special or outstanding.. My 13 euro fish (plat du jour) was tasty. My friend's 13.5 euro guinea fowl (also plat du jour) was alright. The chocolate mousse desert was alright.
Tip 1: Make reservation.
Tip 2: Get the right address. The website is a little bit confusing. I made reservation for Brasseir Vlaming, but went to the other location (same owner I think, Vlaming eten & drinken). They are not far apart though.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a lovely evening here recently. Tried to book at the main restaurant but it was fully booked so the owner suggested this as an alternative and then made the booking for us - all by email!! Food was lovely. Decor is modern but atmospheric. Staff were great. We lingered for quite a while and weren't rushed in any way. Just wish we had been there long enough to allow us a return visit. Prices are good value too!!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Visited Vlaming on Prinsengraft on Nov-3, 2013 based on TA ranking and found the food not meeting our expectations. The general atmosphere in the restaurant is OK, it fills quickly at 20:00 and becomes very noisy, service is very slow but friendly. We have ordered beef steak and tuna steak based on TA reviews. Steak was somewhat chewy and the tuna was dry, both tasted plain. Presentation was good and appetizers and dessert were good too. Next night we went to Van Speyk and the food there was delicious, in a striking contrast to Vlaming.

Frans1951, Eigenaar at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear guest from San Diego, thank you for taking the trouble to write your comments.
The Sunday (normally not so busy) you visited us we indeed had a new, young girl in service who we are training to become a good waitress and I suppose therefor things went a bit slower than usually. Most of the writers of reviews even underline the quality of our staff....
The Dutch organic steak you refer to replaced, also for environmental reasons (air freight etc.), the Black Angus from the USA which we served befor. And indeed this beef has a bit more "bite", but the taste is very good as a lot of guests underline. I'm sorry the tuna was not so perfect as normally: the fish is so sensitive that even a hot plate can make it a little overdone.
I'm glad for you that your visit to the other restaurant made a success from your stay in Amsterdam anyway!!
Best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed November 20, 2013

The appetizers and dessert was great. Main course was ok. The atmosphere and the service made up for a lot as they were super friendly and helpful. Knowledgeable about the wine.
We sat at the big table by the kitchen which was ok. We couldn't see the chefs, just had the light from the kitchen on our table, so I probably wouldn't recommend asking for that particular table.
Definitely a good night!

Dear guest, I'm glad you underlined the quality of our service: we indeed have a friendly, hard working team. You gave us an overall rating of 3 stars, which means "average". When I count the total of your stars of the 4 categories I come to 15, which gives 3,75 = 4 stars. This would be more in conformity with your overall comments I think :o))
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I hope to see you back some other time.
Best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Decided to try this after reading recommendations on Tripadvisor and we were very pleased we did - enjoyed a lovely meal in relaxed, canal-side brasserie. The food is beautifully cooked and presented - menu is not large, but great quality meat and fish. The service was friendly, despite all the staff being really busy as it was Saturday evening and they were full (would advise to book ahead). Overall a lovely, unpretentious place to enjoy a delicious meal when in Amsterdam.