“Well run bistro on Prinsengracht”
Review of Eetcafe Vlaming - CLOSED

Eetcafe Vlaming
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Eetcafe Vlaming is closed but you can find us at Restaurant Vlaming
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal here on a one night stay in Amsterdam. We found it on the inetrenat and reserved. Good job we did because they were turning people away - always a good sign.

The food was truly excellent quality and there was a very reasonably priced wine list. The service was efficient and very friendly and the owner took time to write down instructions for us to get back to our hotel, which was outside the centre of the city.

I had the mushroom soup and the duck, both excellent and and the deserts were great too.

The décor is very attractive and the menu is basically French in spite of the name of the restaurant.

Very highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Eetcafe Vlaming

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Extra special birthday dinner for our good friend. The food was fabulous. Nice selection of both main entrees and sides with an ample selection of paired wines. The service was friendly and helpful, including our stop for reservations. It's a beautiful area along the canal, and we're thrilled to have spent our evening here!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Perhaps just unfortunate but not impressed.
Friendly reception. Given poor table by kitchen on corner, table rocked, during short diner chair bumped eight times by waitresses going past (they did apologise but very off-putting)
Starters good.
We left hurriedly still hungry and having been charged just over 50 euros for bottle of middling wine, glass of cava, starters and two sides without accompanying main meal (meal price taken off but not sides!!)
Would I go back no, went to much better restaurants in Amsterdam, but to be fair other guests seemed happy

1  Thank jerry w
Frans1951, Eigenaar at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Hello Jerry, I'm sorry to see that you were not very satisfied after your visit to us.That's a pity because, as you said yourself, most of the other guests were having a good time. All our girls are quite slim, so I don't understand why they bumped at you so many times. Maybe you took a little bit more room than other guests normally do :-)) And yes, sometimes we have to use also the last table available if we're fully booked. Indeed there are better, star restaurants in Amsterdam, but where you don't eat at €50,= for two including including a bottle of wine...
I hope you enjoyed better the rest of your stay in our beautiful city!! Best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Lovely restaurant, really friendly helpful staff, really lovely food and very well presented, good wine list and extremely reasonably priced. What's not to like. I had a very nice pea soup which came with a piece of toasted bread with smoked salmon on the side, pork medallions with a honey and thyme sauce, and amazing sticky toffee pudding, I also had a beer, a class of nice Cava, a nice glass of French Merlot, and a glass of Spanish sweet sherry with dessert and all of it came in at under €50.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had read positive reviews about this place and it was very close to my hotel so I decided to try it. I was not disappointed - pleasant staff, good service, large portions (hey, couldn't have desert and that's usually a must for me). Had a good soup as appetizer and an excellent beef for main course. Was it the best steak I have ever had? Oh no! But it was good enough to justify the price. Will I be back? Possibly.