“not again for us” 2 of 5 bubbles

Restaurant Vlaming
Ranked #43 of 3,725 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Small, cosy family-owned restaurant. Excellent quality - price relation. Nice selection of wines. Situated at the canal side, not far from the Anne Frank House
Miami, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not again for us”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Perhaps just unfortunate but not impressed.
Friendly reception. Given poor table by kitchen on corner, table rocked, during short diner chair bumped eight times by waitresses going past (they did apologise but very off-putting)
Starters good.
We left hurriedly still hungry and having been charged just over 50 euros for bottle of middling wine, glass of cava, starters and two sides without accompanying main meal (meal price taken off but not sides!!)
Would I go back no, went to much better restaurants in Amsterdam, but to be fair other guests seemed happy

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jerry w
Frans1951, Eigenaar at Restaurant Vlaming, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello Jerry, I'm sorry to see that you were not very satisfied after your visit to us.That's a pity because, as you said yourself, most of the other guests were having a good time. All our girls are quite slim, so I don't understand why they bumped at you so many times. Maybe you took a little bit more room than other guests normally do :-)) And yes, sometimes we have to use also the last table available if we're fully booked. Indeed there are better, star restaurants in Amsterdam, but where you don't eat at €50,= for two including including a bottle of wine...
I hope you enjoyed better the rest of your stay in our beautiful city!! Best regards, Frans Vlaming

“Really Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Lovely restaurant, really friendly helpful staff, really lovely food and very well presented, good wine list and extremely reasonably priced. What's not to like. I had a very nice pea soup which came with a piece of toasted bread with smoked salmon on the side, pork medallions with a honey and thyme sauce, and amazing sticky toffee pudding, I also had a beer, a class of nice Cava, a nice glass of French Merlot, and a glass of Spanish sweet sherry with dessert and all of it came in at under €50.

Hong Kong, China
“Nice meal, not memorable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I had read positive reviews about this place and it was very close to my hotel so I decided to try it. I was not disappointed - pleasant staff, good service, large portions (hey, couldn't have desert and that's usually a must for me). Had a good soup as appetizer and an excellent beef for main course. Was it the best steak I have ever had? Oh no! But it was good enough to justify the price. Will I be back? Possibly.

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Best meal we've had for some time. We had the scallops to start and I had lamb, my husband had the steak. All excellent then we had the chocolate bomb which was lovely. With a lovely bottle of white wine and great service, couldn't speak more highly of the place. Book it you won't be disappointed.

Tampa, Florida
“Very solid spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you want straight forward, honest, tasty food, you'll like this restaurant
Very nice mixed salad, great snap/green beans and mushroom side to share and both the tuna nd the special cod were stand up. Lots of people were eating the lamb chops and steak that smelled and looked tasty. The sticky toffee cake was absolute killer delicious. Nice service, well priced and really satisfying dinner

• 3 of 5 bubbles