WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Restaurant Vlaming

Restaurant Vlaming
Ranked #38 of 3,562 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European, Central European, International, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Small, cosy family-owned restaurant. Excellent quality - price relation. Nice selection of wines. Situated at the canal side, not far from the Anne Frank House
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“It's a Winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I based my visit to this restaurant solely on the TripAdvisor reviews, so it's only fair that I write one myself. I brought my mother here on August 2, 2013 for her last dinner in Amsterdam before her flight out the next day, and we were super happy we went.

First, the meal started with a small pitcher of water on the table. If you live in Amsterdam, you will know that this is a huge deal for this small city. For a place that has amazingly clean and delicious tap water, it's really frustrating to be forced to buy water because the restaurant won't give you tap water and it's even more frustrating to pay more for water than you would beer. Right away, 5 stars.

But it just continued from there. The service was fun and friendly, and the chef came out a few times and even told us how she prepared the meal.

We each started with a starter with scallops, periwinkles, watercress and a light sauce. The seafood was cooked perfectly and we each really enjoyed the dish. I chose to have a glass of the recommended wine pairing, which was delicious.... although this brought up my only issue with this whole meal - the wine was too hot. But that was only to be expected when it was super hot that evening and I should have asked for an ice cube to put in the glass.

For the main course, you order the meat and then side dishes to go with them, each side dish being enough for two. I had the pork and my mother had the steak. We both RAVED about the dishes. The sauces were so delicious and the meat was just cooked perfectly. We each ordered suggested the wine pairing. Again, a winning combination.

As side dishes, we added a salad and the green beans / sugar snap peas / mushrooms. The salad was also great. A healthy portion and we loved the dressing. But the knockout was the gb/sp/m side dish. Perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned. Wonderful.

For dessert, my mother had the pear and cherries crumble. I had the sticky toffee cake with the suggested wine pairing. I mean, how much more can I rave about this food??

I say go. You must try it. It's worth it. My mother is still talking about this meal, and we went all over the city for dinner each night.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank ychoi12

Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Spot On”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Went first time but were caught out the kitchens shut at 22:00.
However it was worth the trip back, excellent staff and the Angus steak was perfect. Sticky toffee pie was delicious, and a great wine selection, very good staff. Best food we had in Amsterdam.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank A P
Singapore
“Reservations Reservations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We dined twice at Brasserie Vlaming. We had originally planned to visit Brasserie Vlaming once, followed by their sister restaurant, but we were so blown away by the food that we changed our 2nd reservation to Brasserie Vlaming.

On our first visit we had the scallops, sous vide duck, king prawns, and sticky toffee pie. They were all good, and the duck was the dish that prompted us to reschedule our 2nd reservation. It was really mind-blowingly fantastic.

We has the steak and duck on our 2nd visit. This time I felt that the duck was missing a little something. That doesn't mean it wasn't fantastic, just not as incredible as the previous visit. I thought the steak was nice, though nowhere as fantastic as the duck.

It was a little hard to get the waitresses' attention when it got busier, but they were always polite so it wasn't a big deal since we weren't in a rush.

Overall I would recommend trying Brasserie Vlaming, and I would definitely return if I visit Amsterdam again.

3 Thank HalloHelga
seattle, washington
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

This bistro has such good food, that a couple seated near us was there for the third time! We were there on our last night in Amsterdam, but will definitely go back on another visit. My husband had seared tuna in a ginger sesame sauce. I had the slow cooked rack of Berkshire pork with a truffle sauce. It was the most tender delicious pork I have ever eaten.

Visited July 2013
Boston
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This restaurant was among the recommendations from our hotel, The Toren. After checking the TA reviews and the proximity to the hotel, we asked the front desk to make us an early reservation.

We were the first people in the restaurant, so we got our pick of seats. The long single room has occasional bamboo-like plantings between tables that gave the impression of privacy even after the restaurant filled up, which is nice.

The choices for the night were posted along one wall in a couple of languages. The friendly waitress took the time to discuss them with us and chat until more people showed up. We started with an appetizer of scallops and snails, which were delicious. For the main courses we had a great vegetable dish, the tarte tatin, and the sous vide duck, which was good but not memorable. We finished with the toffee pie which was quite tasty.

Overall, this restaurant wasn't in-your-face amazing, but the service was friendly, and the food was very fresh and perfectly prepared. I'd definitely eat there again if and when we next visit Amsterdam.

• Visited July 2013