“Outstanding”
Review of Eetcafe Vlaming - CLOSED

Eetcafe Vlaming
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Eetcafe Vlaming is closed but you can find us at Restaurant Vlaming
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were fortunate to snag a reservation here during our fall trip to Amsterdam and were not disappointed. Excellent food, personal service, a cozy atmosphere-and all in a great location on the Prinsengracht. We have educated everyone we know about this restaurant. While we were dining there, we just kept repeating to each other-"this is amazing..." during every course. Don't miss Brasserie Vlaming!!! I only hope we get a chance to go back some day (we live in the States). The Sticky Toffee Pie was simply unbelievable. I am not even a big dessert person and I was in heaven. If you go there and don't order it you are making a huge mistake. Frans, I sent you my email address via Facebook-would love for you to email me the recipe so I can make a copy and give it to my husband for St Valentines Day tomorrow!!!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Me and two of my friends decided to go here by reading reviews on tripadvisor, and surely were not disappointed! First is the service, which is excellent. Seats were advised fast, coats taken and in the end brought back fast, advises for food and that day specials were heard. About the food - we got a complementary crunchy bread with special sauce, for the starter we chose the selection to try for three, it was a great experience, especially loved the breadcrumbed potato with sauce. For the main dishes we chose black angus steaks and a tuna steak, they were tender and super tasty! For the drinks we chose a bottle of wine, the total bill was 120 eur per 3 persons. Bad thing is we didn't have more place in our stomacks for a dessert to try their special toffee, but will surely do this next time! The place is highly recommended.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had a wonderful meal here in march 2012 during my first visit to Amsterdam, so much so that on my return this February with my partner decided to book a table for what i thought was going to be another wonderful meal, however, it was not to be, the place it self had the usual charm, the menu had bags of promise, alas the food just did not deliver this time. the starter we had was the starter platter which consisted of 8 small bite size starter snacks for two, maybe 2-3 of the 8 was great the others were ok i spose and maybe 1 or 2 was not to our taste. We had the steak which both of us commented was lovely in taste but came to our table quite late and quite luke warm, wanted to send back to be re-heated but was very hungry at this time and just wanted to be fed, half way through the meal it ended up being quite cold but again tasty so we finished the meal. really dissapointed to be honest, paid around £60 for the meal for two which included a quite nice red for me and a tolerable rose for the missus. wont be coming back here in the future but thats more to do with trying new places in amsterdam which im sure will be better.

Frans1951, Owner at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear guest from Yorkshire, it's a pity that you didn't mention straight away that the steaks were nice but not warm enough: we then could have replaced these. Or compensate in some another way. We really don't like if visitors leave us not being satisfied and happy. There will indeed be better restaurants in Amsterdam, but most of the writers of reviews (like you after your 1st visit to us) appreciate the total picture of cosy atmosphere, friendly service, good quality - price relation. Thank you for taking time to write your comments. Best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Very pleased with the service, quality and quantity of servings. Very fair value. Good atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We chose this restaurant for a reunion with friends who had also just "touched down" in Amsterdam based on the reviews on TA. While the food was good, it wasn't mind-blowing as we expected. We suspected some of the tapas on the three tiered starter for 18€ were bought-in frozen. There was nothing exceptional about any of the dishes we ordered. The tempura of Gambas was just that, nothing special, no added special ingredient in the tempura batter, the loin of pork had been steamed, we were told that this is why the ends appeared raw, the fourth person among us had beef carpaccio - again, totally edible, but nothing as special as we were expecting. One of us had sticky toffee pudding which was good.
In summary, I have eaten far better in Amsterdam.

1  Thank Catherine O
Frans1951, Owner at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear guest from France, thank you for taking time to write this review. I'm sorry that we didn't fulfil your (too?) high expectations. We ourselves don't pretend to be the best restaurant of Amsterdam. But most of the other approx 578 TA visitors like the whole picture of familiair atmosphere, friendly & professional service and the good quality - price relation. Both the meat dishes you mention are slowly cooked in sous-vide (air sealed/vacuum in a water basin) and therefor are equally tender from the centre to the surface. I'm glad for you that other Amsterdam restaurants were more to your satisfaction and thus your visit to our nice city was not a disappointment. Best regards, Frans Vlaming