“Such good food...No room for dessert”
Review of Eetcafe Vlaming - CLOSED

Eetcafe Vlaming
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Eetcafe Vlaming is closed but you can find us at Restaurant Vlaming
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Amsterdam has so many restaurants that it's really hard to choose. I picked Brasserie Vlaming based on all the excellent trip advisor reviews. I was not disappointed. I had made reservations for 2 weeks earlier but ended up increasing it to include new friends we just met on our Rhine cruise. My thanks to Frans for the quick email confirmation.

Dinner was terrific and I felt the staff went above and beyond in splitting our check up between three couples. I really liked that we didn't have to buy water as they just put a couple of jugs on the table. Their soup of the day was mustard, which was thin with lots of mustard seeds. We had not encountered anything quite like it. It was odd, but certainly good. Other than that, the ravioli appetizer was superb. Their venison, beef, and pork were perfectly cooked, each with a wonderful sauce. I only wish I had room for dessert as I really wanted to try the toffee cake...maybe next time. Dinner with wine and beer was about $100.

Frans1951, Owner at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear guest from California, many thanks for your kind review. It was really a pleasure to see that your 3 couples had such fun and had no dull moment during the whole evening!! The amount of the bill seemed quite high to me, but now I see you mention US-dollars :-)) So more or less € 77,50.... Hope to see you back some time and best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Perfect food, excellent service. We were more than an hour and a half late and they were very nice. the food was amazing - i'll go back

Dear guest from Amsterdam, our policy is that if people are 15 minutes too late without letting us know by phone and if we're fully booked, we give the table to walk ins. But of course we always will try to be flexible and find a solution: sometimes it works out, sometimes not :-(
I'm glad you were lucky:-). Thank you for your kind review and best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have just returned from Amsterdam and booked this restaurant due to trip advisor reviews. We were certaintly not disappointed. I booked online a couple of weeks before as I had read you needed to book and we were visiting on a Saturday and they confirmed booking very quickly. Table was waiting for us and although the restaurant is small you did not feel cramped or too close to your neighbours. All the tables were taken but service was never affected in anyway.

We immediately were given a complimentary jug of water that was constantly topped up which was fantastic and also complimentary bread with a wonderful homemade spread. I had the pork which was perfectly cooked and tender and my husband had the steak, both were incredible. You do have to order side dishes, I had the roast sweet potatoes and my husband had the green vegetables and we still managed not to eat them both so maybe ask if you could split the side dishes so there is no waste. Of course we both had the sticky toffee pudding which is not to be missed. Only slight niggle was that I ordered the house Rose but was given the house white but as it was the same price I did not bother to complain as it was still lovely.

Can highly recommend but make sure you book in advance.

Frans1951, Owner at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear visitor from Gloucester , thank you for this extensive and nice review. If there is a next time I hope you get the drink you ordered, but if not: please bring it to notice of the waiter!! You should get what you want, even if it's the same price. The side-dishes we serve are each big enough for 2 persons, so the meaning is that you share them. But indeed, if you're not "big eaters" it still might be too much :-) The pork you mention is slow cooked in Sous Vide (air sealed in a water basin) at a low temperature: the meat remains succulent and tender. Best regards, Frans Vlaming

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and booked for our first night in Amsterdam.

We had a superb evening - ravioli and prawns for starter, really tender steak and crispy chips (just how I like them!) and the famous sticky toffee pie to finish. The service was friendly and efficient (not always a given in Amsterdam). We wanted to go to Vlaming Eating and Drinking a couple of nights later, but couldn't get in either venue. Say no more, and book early!

Dear guest from Weymouth, you're right: also for "Vlaming eten & drinken" you better make a reservation in advance. It's even smaller than the brasserie. And yes, not in every restaurant in Amsterdam the service is very friendly. But I believe it's improving already, so maybe in future we're not an exception anymore :-) Thank you for your kind review and best regards. Frans Vlaming

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Friends took us to this beautiful restaurant and we had a great evening. The staff was friendly and responsive. I must say that while the food was good I didn't find it anything special. The STP was yummy though.

Frans1951, Owner at Eetcafe Vlaming, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear guest from Slovenija, thank you for your friendly review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Hopefully next time you come you find something more special on the menu or as a "specialty of the day". Best regards, Frans Vlaming