“Happy life for cats !”

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Happy life for cats !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you wish to live happily unto 90 years or more, follow the steps of Henriette van Weelde and have a dream. Not only just a dream, but mostly - a simple goal... In 1966 this great lady living in Amsterdam has found a cat with kittens near her house. Pretty soon she was known as The Cat Lady, because people started bringing more and more abandoned poor little creatures... Two more years and Ms. van Weelde just bought a boat for her cats to make them happy. That's when "De Poezenboot" (The Cat Boat) was really born. Very soon it became the loving and very safe home for a lot of cats. I would be happy to shake a hand of that great Lady van Weelde, but I was late... I've visited this neat and nice floating home in November 2012 but the founder has passed away 7 years earlier. As a journalist I got permission to see how cats live and to take some photographs (you are free to see my sincere photo-evidence!). Of course I've helped cats and their great caretakers with a modest donation. Important note: all people work here are volunteers and they deserve a very special thanks. And I promised to Mr. Jolanda Keiko to use the best speaking-trumpet in the world, the Tripadvisor, to tell people about this unique place and ask every cat-lover to follow my steps and donate some money to support the great idea of hepling poor abandoned cats to join the best cat club at least in Netherland. Thank to everyone who cares! And God blesses us, cats and everuone who needs safe and happy life!!!
alftul

Visited November 2012
3 Thank alftul

St Helens, United Kingdom
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Enjoyable distraction if your nearby, maybe not worth a special trip.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have visited the poezenboot a few times over the years as I usually have errands to run for family back home and it's on the Singel close to the flower market and the start of the Jordan.

Well, it's a house boat. Not that different to look at from the hundreds of others around the city's waterways. This one however has been kitted out inside to become a centre for rescued and stray cats with usually around 15 little balls of fluff at a time. there's usually a wild vicious one and if your told not to touch, don't!

Visitors are welcome during the limited opening hours of 1pm-3pm most days (check their website) although it is known occasionally to be shut during 'open' hours. This is why I would recommend a visit only if you happen to be nearby.

They operate on donations of visitors and, while not mandatory, a handful of pocket change will be appreciated and will go a long way. donations of cat food from the local supermarket would also be accepted if you wanted to be sure that your donation would go directly to the cats.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank Kev B
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A great stop on vacation if you miss your cats at home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were going to the cat museum, but when we saw the reviews, we decided to try this place instead. It is basically a boat full of cats. I work for an animal shelter and can appreciate the effort it takes to keep a large number of cats clean and healthy and these folks do a great job. Do something kind on your vacation and stop by to give them a donation and pet the kitties. Don't pet the black and white "cow cat" though. There are ample signs and he will let you have it.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Nina S
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Marvellous!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

A lovely little boat with friendly (well most of them) cats!! Take heed of warnings tom staff about grumpy cats!! My sister has scars to prove her visit!!

Barcelona, Spain
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“My favourite place in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

As a crazy cat lady as I am, I cannot imagine a better place for me in this special town, so animal friendly and "gezellig" in any possible way. My 2 hours visit to the Poezenboot is the best and sweetest souvenir of my last stay in a town that I love each day more.

Visited October 2012