“Absolutely loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Canberra, Australia
“Absolutely loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This place is so cute. The host Nathalie and her family are so welcoming you feel as though you are coming home.

The room was large and spotless, even available early.

I just loved that breakfast, which was made to order each day. Fresh eggs, done however you like and pancakes cooked on the spot. Yummy fresh fruit, cereals and breads. It's like have a home-cooked breakfast made for you.

Nathalie's mum is chief barista and makes a mean coffee. There is a huge variety of teas.

I loved the two cats and the singing dog. She sings along to music and hit's hilarious!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank FiB1967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Three Oaks, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I only had one day in Amsterdam as part of a stopover on a business trip. I chose this hotel because of it's location and because it was not a very large establishment. Upon arrival, I was immediately upgraded to a bigger room with a view for the same price. Everyone from Nathalie, her mother, to staff members, made me feel very welcome and at home. Breakfast cooked by Nathalie's mother was awesome and reminded my of the pancakes my mother used to make. When I read other posts about this hotel, people complained about the stairs. Were they steep and narrow? Yes, however, Nathalie and her staff carried by bags up and down for me. This is part of the service they provide and guest should avail themselves of it. The location was perfect...in the canal zone, close to everything and very quiet. When I come back to Amsterdam, this is where I will stay again and again. I'd like to thank everyone at the hotel for making this a most pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

We are staying here for 2 nights and really pleased with everything! Lovely friendly owner, lovely big room which was an upgrade and bed comfy. No breakfast included in our stay but the delivery of a new coffee machine might change that in the morning!
Definitely coming back next year!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Based on Tripadvisor reviews, availability, location, and rates, we stayed at the “View” for five days, in a deluxe room. The room itself was pleasantly decorated and large, facing the back courtyard so there was little outside noise, which is good since we had requested a quiet room. However, and as other comments point out, the staircase is very noisy, and the doors can only be closed by semi-slamming them, so you hear every single person stomping up and down the narrow, steep stairs and slamming their doors shut. The only way to tone this down is to request room on the top floor, which ours unfortunately was not. Since the hotel was fully booked, there was no chance to change rooms. And then there is the toilet in the shower that takes getting used to. As long as you move the toilet paper to a dry location, it’s not too much of a problem, just odd. You should know that the only a/c is a pedestal fan, which was not a problem since the weather was relatively cool when we were there in June. Maybe not so cool in August. The lady who runs the place is very professional and takes care of her clients, but unfortunately she hires some young ladies who are not at all professional. For example, on the first morning when I asked how to get somewhere, the young woman at reception told me to go “look it up on google”: sorry I bothered asking! We tried the ten-euro (per person) breakfast one day and thought it was good: the scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon were plentiful, and there were several buffet choices like breads, cheeses and such. You can also get what looks like tasty pancakes. We are not large breakfast eaters, so we didn’t think the twenty euros extra per day was necessary. The heron perched atop a car outside the hotel every morning is fun. The hotel is well-located for catching the streetcar or bus around the corner, and particularly close to the main museum area and the lively restaurants near it. The deluxe room is not inexpensive, though, particularly for a two-star hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Ana K
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I made a two hour layover and made it a one day visit to Amsterdam. I chose the Boutique view based on price and location. I wanted a room on with a canal view. It was beautiful. Yes, it was several flights up a narrow stairway.....but I knew that ahead of time. Not a problem.

Only a two minute walk from the express bus to the airport.

The manager, Eric was great. I asked him to tell me where I needed to go if I only had one day in Amsterdam. He drew me a walking map with many insider sights. It was great city, clean and I felt safe everywhere I went, even alone.

The room was clean. I left my door to the outside open at night. It was great. If I ever go back I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for a canal view room. Mine was a deluxe...but I would have been fine in the small one if it had...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank MaggieMaySc
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed here by myself, and so I had one of the smaller rooms (maybe the smallest room?) which was on the third floor, with a large window that opened to the back of the building, and overlooked a tree-filled area behind the neighboring buildings. As other reviews have noted, there is no elevator or air conditioning--but I think that is to be expected in the smaller hotels in Europe. I enjoyed being able to open the window, and the room came with a high-powered fan that kept me very comfortable.
The highlight of this hotel for me was the staff. Breakfast every morning was good, and made better by the proprietor and her mother, who make the coffee and pancakes to order. I recommend accepting their offer to make you a pancake.
The location was also excellent. Close to the tram lines, easy walk to most parts of central Amsterdam, and very close to the museums. The hotel is not close to the train station, so I recommend taking the tram from the train station to the hotel when you have heavy luggage.
If I go back to Amsterdam, I will likely stay here again. Also, note that if you are highly allergic to cats, two cats live in this hotel. It seemed as if they do not make it into the rooms, and I was having bad seasonal allergies, so it's hard to know if I was affected at all by the cats.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jdaries
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights in April. We would definitely book this place again if we are back in Amsterdam. It was very central and we walked throughout the city from this location no problem. It is more like a bed and breakfast, as other people have reviewed. The room was clean, small but cozy and had an amazing view of the canals. It was so great to wake up to that view. The staff was amazing, Nathalie hoisted up my luggage up all the stairs herself. The breakfast was wonderful and they would cook pancakes or eggs how ever you liked them. Two cute little cats would also sleep in the dining room which I personally enjoyed ;) Definitely one of the best places and a great value as well.

Room Tip: We loved the deluxe double room with a canal view. Smaller but just the right size for two people.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple