“Very friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Very friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a mix-up with our reservations, but the hotel staff were extremely accommodating and friendly. The rooms were nice and there were two very laid back cats that hung out in the lobby.

The stairs are tricky for people not used to them - traditional Dutch stairs that are narrow and a nice workout, so not recommended for people with mobility problems.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had to write this review because this hotel is a must. This was one of the best experiences I've ever had at a hotel. Our 3 person room was everything we needed with a lovely view and balcony overlooking the canal. Location was perfect. Initially we didn't book breakfast but we ate here everyday because it was wonderful, fresh pancakes was the highlight. Very friendly and helpful staff and honestly an absolute treat. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caity H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay at the boutique what more can I say other than lovely an kind people! Arrived on a Monday morning at 10 am, only wanting to drop our bags instead were given hot tea an coffee an a map of the beautiful city. My only regret is not paying for breakfast as waking up to the smell of pancakes an coffee on Tuesday was heavenly! Our room was beautiful, the free wi-fi perfect and our hosts an there beautiful dog an cat just perfect. Thank you, an I hope Robbie Williams was impressed by his stage!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank katie c
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We flew from Inverness direct to Amsterdam for a business meeting in Antwerp and stayed in the Boutique View Hotel on our way back. What a treat! it was easy to book online, the website looked inviting and,crucially, it was easy to "look & book" directly through their own website - well done the owners! Check-in was easy, the receptionist friendly and knowledgeable; we had booked a "small double with canal view but the room was roomy and spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. A good shower for me and a bath for madame was perfect. We slept well - it was quiet - and at breakfast we met the engaging owner Natalie who was great fun and really helpful in giving us tips for shoe shopping! All in all this is the best hotel i have stayed in in Amsterdam - the sort of place you look for and, once found, you wouldn't choose to go anywhere else. Well done Natalie and the Boutique View Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had a mixed experience at this place. It started with us making a reservation and pre-paying our room through Booking.com. We booked a small double with a canal view. One week after making the reservation, I called the hotel and asked if we could change to a room with two twin beds with a canal view. I was asked if I minded being on the third floor (no elevator) and I said we didn’t mind. The hotel confirmed that this change could be made.
We arrived around 6pm the day of check-in. I was told that there was no record of the phone conversation I had regarding changing the room. We expressed this was disappointing, but fine. Then we were told that the room we paid for in advance, the room with a canal view, had accidentally been given to another guest. And, since we were the last to check in, only the smallest room in the hotel, without a canal view, was remaining and that is where we would need to stay. We politely asked how this could have happened and were told there wasn’t an answer, but sometimes guests ask for their rooms to be changed and in this case, the hotel shouldn’t have changed it, but for some reason the person on duty at the time changed the other guest’s room to our room.
The room we received was the worst room we stayed in during our 15 day vacation. It was just large enough for the bed. The head of the bed and the left side of the bed were against walls, the foot of the bed and the right side of the bed had, literally, 1.5 feet of walking space around them. Literally. And, this was the only walking space in the entire room with the exception of the area of the room where the door swung open to get into the room. We had to walk on the bed to get around each other! And, we had to pile our suitcases vertically on top of each other because there was no room to put them. The bathroom was essentially a closet with one of those shower heads without an enclosed shower. Hence, the whole bathroom gets wet when you shower. The wall next to the bed was so hot that I needed to put a pillow next to it so that I didn’t accidentally lean up against it while I was sleeping. I’m guessing the hot water pipes must go through that wall. This room is the only room on the ground floor and it is right next to reception so we were up all night with people coming in and out of the hotel.
Now, the good. The hotel bent over backwards to rectify their mistake. They gave us free breakfast both days of our stay. And, on the second day, they moved us to the best room in the entire hotel. This room was easily 5x the size our room the first night. It had a full bathroom and beautiful views. They moved our suitcases to the new room so we wouldn’t need to do it ourselves. We thought the customer service was excellent, as well as their effort to “make it right,” and we told them so. All of the staff was exceedingly friendly. In addition, the breakfast was delicious. The sweet woman who makes the breakfast could probably own her own restaurant. We wish we spoke Dutch because she was lovely and it would have been nice to converse with her. We couldn’t give our order in Dutch, but she came up with a delicious breakfast via our sign language and we loved what she whipped up for us.
Here’s the bottom line: Yes, mistakes happen. And, when they do happen, one would hope that there would be excellent customer service to rectify the error. That’s exactly what the hotel did and we were very impressed. However, that doesn’t negate the fact that was a big error. The hotel should be organized enough to know which guests have reserved which rooms, especially when the room has been pre-paid.
The other thing to remember is this is a TWO STAR BOUTIQUE hotel. It gets good reviews, for a two star boutique hotel. If you come here expecting the Marriott, you’ll be disappointed.
Would I say here again? Well, the first room we stayed in was a 1 star room. I most definitely would not stay in that room again. The second room we stayed in was a 3.5 star room. Yes, I would stay in that room again. How about the two star mid-range room I booked? I have no idea, since I never actually stayed in it. If I come back to Amsterdam, I would stay here again if I booked the best room, and double/triple confirmed the room prior to arriving. In addition, I would make an effort to check in early, just in case…
I almost didn’t write a review of this hotel because they did do a great job of rectifying the error. In the end, I decided to write a review because I think it’s important that anyone considering staying here know that this place is not the most organized and it’s something to be aware of. In addition, had I not stayed a second night, I probably would have written a 1 star review because I don’t know how they could have made it up to us other than refunding our money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

+ very good located
+ super friendly owner
+ nice view

- room 003 feels like sleeping in the kitchen, you hear everything and every Single guest, impossible to sleep
- standard room is very very small

All overall it was ok, but as I said make sure that you dont get the room 003. There you have never ending noise.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple