“We were also robbed by someone with a key!”
Review of Damrak Apartments

Damrak Apartments
Ranked #292 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was not going to write this review as thought it may have been a one off, but we also were robbed from these apartments by some with a key!

My advise would be to avoid this complex - Amsterdam has so much more to offer than spending your short weekend in the police station!

Very disappointing!

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed September 5, 2012

APARTMENT ROBBED THEY USED A KEY! DO NOT STAY HERE! DO NOT STAY HERE! APARTMENT ROBBED THEY USED A KEY!

Stayed here in July 2012, it was my 6th time staying in these apartments BUT DEFINITLEY MY LAST, a group of us stayed for the Ajax v Celtic game , while we where at the Ajax amsterdam arena someone entered our apartment with a key and stole my iPad, external hardrive and £550 , all mine and my fiends WEED, WHICH WASENT CHEAP EITHER ,they also took £500 from my friends bag and my other friends €600 they took his size 8 trainers too aftershave, deodorant , t-shirt , this happened Saturday 21st of July , I telephoned the office THEY ASKED ME NOT TO GO TO THE POLICE but wait for the owner to come and c us (big mistake from me not going to the police station) the owner Robert turned up on the Monday we where leaving , think they thought we had left he told us he would claim his own insurance and refund me the £800 we payed for our stay , since I got home I've sent the receipts for the items stolen, with no reply I have telephoned the office to speak to Jacob (manager) but with only gettin to speak to him once (when he told me i would get my refund) and after numerous phone calls with no reply ,safe to say Scottish accents are frowned upon in the office now I have made a complaint to Expedia who are also tryin to get in touch with jacob and damrak shortstay with no success , so I've decided to leave a review for any others thinking of staying here DONT was clearly an inside job and we've been well an truly shafted , oh and Robert if u read this remember u asked me not to leave trip advisor reviews well I'm gona do my best to leave a review like this on every website , THANKS FOR STICKING TO YOUR WORD ,

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLEASE DONT STAY HERE!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank glasgowbhoy83
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here September 2010 for 3 days and could not have been happier! The apartment was perfect for 3 adults! The rooms were clean, close to everything, and very cool experience staying in an apartment instead of a hotel. We have already booked another stay this coming October!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have stayed at Damrak apartments a number of times and have always found them excellent.

The apartments are spacious and for groups of 4 or larger on a 3 night stay they are far more cost effective than staying in some of the over prices hovels, sorry hotels, in the Red Light District. For a start you don't have to wipe your shoes on the way out!!!

The member of staff (Cabral) who has met us each time has been so helpful with lots of local knowledge, advice and new places to go even for seasoned Amsterdammers like myself (15 trips and counting!!), so whether you are new to the city or a regular, this man will be able to advise on anything and everything to ensure you have a great trip.

The apartments are clean and spacious and well-furnished and far larger than the equivalent hotel rooms you could secure for the same sort of price. You also get free Wi-Fi and some TV channels which is useful and being in such a central location is so useful on arrival and also for exploring the central areas of the city

It is located next to a coffee shop so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for young families as the smell is constant. Also access to apartments is a little convoluted with numerous flights of stairs so it keeps you very fit over your stay (!) but I wouldn't recommend this to travellers with mobility issues as there is no lift. The access to the aprtments has become a comedy part of the holiday anyway so its all part and parcel of the craziness of the city!!

However, for groups of couples or young people I would recommend this all day long. In fact now if I or my friends are visiting the city, I don't bother looking elsewhere and if there is not availability I just change my dates as I simply cannot be bothered to take the risk with something new having had some somewhat unpleasant experiences with accommodation in the city. Would recommend highly and having read some of the other review's, I'm yet to see any furry friends but fundamentally, if your told not to leave food out, don't, its an old buidling in an old city which I would imagine is riddled with them!

We will see you again soon!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have just come back from a very enjoyable few days in Amsterdam and could not have asked for a better location for the appartment. The living space was great and had a very comfortable stay at a very reasonable price. I would definately recommend staying here. The were two minor points, one being the incredibly long walk from the front door, up several steep staircases, to finally get to the room, but at least we got some excercise!! The other point to make, was the agressive and rude agent who showed us the appartment. We all felt quite intimidated and uncomfotable with his unusual appraoch to his job. He was slurring his words and hung around for way longer than neccesary, as he kept repeating himself. Very strange man and I am not sure the owners would approve of his technique in "welcoming" their guests.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2012

well where do i start? this company ripped me and my friends off completely. we had booked in the january an apartment on damrak for april. when we arrived, the man that came to meet us with keys took us up to the apartment, he then opened the door and slammed it shut immediately. we thought this was very odd, he then explained the sewage system had overflowed so we would not be able to stay there (we later discovered on the trip that there was actually someone else in the apartment as we saw them in the window!). he then took us on a journey around amsterdam to find new accomodation. we ended up 3 miles out of town, we had to go by bus to get there, with all our suitcases, which we all had to pay for aswell. this cost us an extra 7.50 a day by bus to get into town and at night we had to pay 5 euros each to get back. the apartment we were put in in the end was a 2 bedroom apartment that slept 4 people even though there was 6 of us, the man who gave us the keys told us one of us could get on the sofa the other on a mattress on the floor! now when you pay almost 900 euros altogether you expect a bed. you couldnt even shut the door on the toilet. The kitchen didn't have an oven. Having e-mailed the company whilst we were there, they never replied. After we arrived back in britain we e-mailed them again with our complaints, and after much discussion, they fianlly admitted that they had over-booked us, which confiremed our suspicions from the beginning. I am now in an argument with the company in order to get some of our money back, but they are very relluctant to reply as I have now e-mailed them multiple times and they have offered to give me a sum of money back as compensation. i have not recieved this although they claim they have sent it!

Room Tip: do not book with amsterhouse! they will rip you off
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Samantha H
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We booked this apartment 4 months in advance as we thought it was ideal for 6 of us. Upon arrival we were told the toilets were out of order as there was a sewage problem we would have to have another. This other apartment wasn't even on Damrak, we had to get a bus there as walking would take a while! Not only was our apartment not the one we'd booked but it wasn't even the 6 bed we had booked but 4! We were offered a mattress and that was it. Whilst passing damrak apartments we did notice all apartments looked occupied after being told they all had sewage problems. I'm sure damrak apartments are lovely, shame we never got to see them. It just put a downer on our trip having to travel far more than we expected to, and the trams aren't cheap!

• Stayed: April 2012