“Meh”

Ranked #1,883 of 4,302 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: The Tara is an International pub, where you can have a drink at one of the beautiful bars or lounge on a sofa near the fireplace . Watch sports or play pool or to eat a tasty meal. It is also possible to reservate for larger groups.
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Just don't think it's as good since it went upscale. Still a great lively crowd, so no complaints as a bar. But it's not a pub anymore, if you know what I mean. It's not the classic Irish pub for getting a stew and watching some football on a Saturday.

Good burger, but menu is too overpriced. And positively the worst buffalo wings I've ever encountered, coated in some kind of spiced-up jar spaghetti sauce.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Ordered the breakfast which for €11.50 was poor. They had run out of black pudding and compensated by giving extra sausage (three tiny sausages which I couldn't eat). The hash browns tasted sour and the bacon was burnt to a crisp. The beans and eggs were, thankfully ok. The service was appaulling and we complained abt the old but I out whether the waitress passed on his information. I didn't hint you could go wrong with a breakfast but the Tara certainly did. I've tasted better and cheaper breakfasts. Never again!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

I am a veteran traveler and frequent visitor to Holland and am always looking to avoid the so-called "tourist trap-overpriced- chain-restaurant type establishments when I am out for a good time with friends and family. I wasn't sure what to make of The Tara when I first walked in because it looks SO much bigger on the inside than you would guess from the outside..with may distinct relax, dine and or drink areas, with open hearth fireplaces, comfortable chairs, lounge settings and formal tables to choose from. The staff ..mostly female except for the chefs from what we could see..were friendly and very efficient...and seemed genuinely glad to see us. The menu looked simple enough and for some maybe a bit "pricey" for what was on offer..BUT all was forgiven once we actually got our food! DE-licious with a capital "D". The Surf & Turf I had was a Michelin quality dining experience..a prime cut of extremely tender, tasty, [medium rare] filet mignon in a "langoustine sauce [topped with a real langoustine!]..a more than generous helping of crispy, lightly salted fries and some well-seasoned spring green beans wrapped and quickly deep-fried in batter. It was SO worth the 20 euros! My friends indulged in The Tara version of Fish&Chips and they were equally delighted with their choice..succulent veggies and a crisp sea-bass topped in a creamy vinagrette with fries on the side in portions that they were both more than satisfied with. The total bill [no dessert] including imported beer, French wine and Jamesons-on-ice.. plus tip was just under 100 euros.
Yes..I know that sounds a lot..but for this kind of experience, service, and quality of food we called it money well spent..and are planning to return soon to spend again!

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Had a good meal. It was freshly cooked but all meals lacked seasoning. The staff were lovely

Reviewed December 29, 2011

This pub is centrally located so it cannot be missed. Food and service were great.