“From Home To Home!”
Review of Anno 1685

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Anno 1685
Ranked #269 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I am a wholly deaf solo traveller. During June 2011, I rented a large studio apartment on the ground floor at Anno 1685, Amsterdam for 5 nights. I met the friendly Anno 1685 owner Anke outside Anno 1685 at 16:00 hours as arranged. She showed me around it – she treated me with respect. She told me if I would need any assistance, I could go up and see her – she lives above Anno 1685! After she left me, I found Anno 1685 a very charming traditional old Amsterdam building!

I loved the pretty small paradise garden with 100% privacy where you can enjoy your breakfast, or having some drinks to relax! The bed was very comfortable next to the huge bathroom with shower! The kitchen was great – you can cook with the electric cooker (4 hobs and oven), toaster, microwave, kettle, etc. Saucepans, frying pans, plates, cutlery, etc. also provided. Oh yes, there’s a fridge with a small freezer inside it! There’s Internet access at Anno 1685 with a cable – you can plug it into your own laptop, or Anno 1685’s laptop provided free of charge! There’s a Plasma TV set, too! I felt it was like another home to me – no busy-bees hotel breakfast atmosphere!!

Anno 1685 is in a good location – you would enjoy sightseeing Amsterdam on foot – you may not need to get any trams, or buses, unless you are in a hurry, or unable to walk much further, or carrying the heavy bags. Just to inform you if you would arrive in Centraal Station from Schipol Airport by train – you would get either tram numbers 1, 2, or 5 to get off at Prinsengracht for Anno 1685 (about 5 mins’ walk).

There are plenty of restaurants everywhere in Amsterdam, especially Leidseplein (about 5 mins’ walk from Anno 1685) and Rembrandtplein (about 12 mins’ walk). The nearest big supermarket is called ‘Albert Heim’ on Elandsgracht via Prinsengracht – about 8 mins’ walk from Anno 1685. There are also various shops nearby.

It was worth staying there to enjoy the real old Amsterdam style experience! I feel sure you will love it! See some pics!

Room Tip: 100% privacy in the small paradise garden!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Deaf-Debo

Reviewed February 1, 2011

I cannot fault the apartment, ground floor, very clean, tv, dining table, full kitchen, shower room, sofa and a comfy bed! Would recommend staying here. Exactly as described and even prettier than looks in the pictures.

Only downside to staying here was our greeting from Anke, the apartment owner. We arrived early in the morning, check in time wasn't until 2pm. I was in contact with Anke a few days before leaving and she said she would happily let us in earlier...however no specific time given. We had a nice walk along from the station and must have arrived 1h 1/2 after landing.

We were greeted by quite an angry Anke, bombarded with insults and given a complete slating (Which comes as quite a surprise after seeing other reviews on here!)

We were told people normally called at the airport, called at the train station and let her know a specific time of arrival! After apologising several times (simply out of shock!) she continued for 5minutes outside, for her then to continue as we were shown around the apartment. I can say we gladly never seen or heard Anke until we gave our keys in when leaving.

Going by other reviews lack of communication may have caused this problem, however I would like to add nothing which deserved the attitude we were given. Anyone staying here, email anke and ask what she expects you to do!!

In the words of Anke "you type of people always do this"!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jill186534
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I stayed at Anno 1685 with my husband for 3 nights in November. I have to say that this little apartment is the best place I have ever stayed in any European city. The location is perfect. It is located on a quiet little street, close to the trendy 9 Streets shopping area of Amsterdam. I have never slept well in city centre apartments due to the people and traffic noise at night. Not so with Anno. The only noise you can hear is the occasional bicycle bell or scooter - it is so peaceful and relaxing. I was amazed by how close Anno was to the bustle of Amsterdam. We hired the apartment bikes for 2 days (thanks Anke) which was a perfect way to see Amsterdam and it was lovely to come back to such a warm and welcoming place - it was like coming home. There is everything you need in the apartment from a fully stocked kitchen to little things like umbrellas to use on your walks around the area and copious maps and guides. I felt like I was staying at a relative's house. The owner (Anke) was really helpful and nothing was too much trouble for her. I would love to stay here again in the Spring or Summer to see the apartment garden in full bloom.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Arrived to find Anke, the delightful owner, waiting to explain the apartment and hand over the keys. Charmingly appointed, the ground floor apartment has all you could want, well equiped kitchen, comfortable bed, tv, internet and a charming secluded garden. The location is perfect on the Liedsegracht, a picturesque small canal between the Prinsengracht and the Keizergracht canals, close by is the Jordan with lovely cafes and bars, supermarket etc. and you are so close to central Amsterdam but in delightful peace and quiet. Very nice to sit by the canal and watch the boats go by, yet a five minute walk to the Leidseplein. My three days here passed all too quickly in these delightful surroundings and perfect weather, I'm sure Anke was responsible for that too! Highly recommended

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank paulosussex
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We have been to Amsterdam 4 times previously and love it there, so decided we would like to spend our New Year's Eve is the city. The places we have stayed before have been fine but Anno 1685 was such a good find (I'm actually a bit unsure whether to post this review as no doubt Anke will be inundated now!).

Its in a great, quiet location but only 10 mins walk from Dam Square, and the location was one of the highlights for us. It is also on the ground floor which is a bonus, as where we have stayed before have always been on 2nd or 3rd floors with very steep stairs. This of course is part of the charm of the Amsterdam houses but it made such a nice change for us not to have to drag our bags up the narrow staircase.

The apartment has everything you could wish for - fully equipped kitchen, nice big bathroom and lovely shower with plenty of hot water, and the apartment was really warm which we were really grateful for as it was freezing when we were there.

Anke was very helpful but not intrusive - we knew where she was if we needed her.

There is also 2 bikes for hire with the apartment if you feel like it - we took advantage and we loved it - definitely the best way to see this city.

We will be visiting Amsterdam again and are hoping that Anno 1685 is free, in fact will probably book flights around it. I would not want to stay anywhere else now. Thanks so much Anke for making our weekend so enjoyable!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alibongo
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I stayed here twice recently - the first time in November, and then on my return trip through Amsterdam in December (staying for a few days both times). I had found this hotel through trip advisor and it was just as good (if not even better) than previous recommendations. It was incredibly cosy - truly one of those places where you can just see the care that goes into how it is set up and maintained. Additionally, it had a fully stocked kitchen with all appliances I could want for a short or long stay. The ensuite was refurbished and the overall great love on mine was the beautiful, full enclosed courtyard that you can lazily lay in bed and gaze out into. No one can see you and you have a little tranquil paradise to awaken to each day. On top of this, there is also a laptop with internet in the apartment and satellite television. Anke (the manager) was also always incredibly easy to contact, very quick to respond to questions and was very helpful with a lot of valuable local information. Finally - the over riding convenience of the incredible location just can't be beat. In short, my stay at Anno 1685 was just magical. Thanks Anke.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tanya L
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My husband and I visited Amsterdam for the first time in early October 2009. We enjoy having a kitchen and an outdoor space when we travel, and Anno 1685 offered both. We were so happy with our choice for these reasons:

(1) The location is fantastic. Amsterdam is a small city and very walkable. It was close to the Leidseplein with its many shops and tram stops, the Flower Market (so many tulip bulbs!), the Amercian Hotel and its famously beautiful art deco cafe, and the Anne Frank house. The "Dam" square, Red Light District, and Museumplein were a little further but still walkable ... or just take the tram! We found a ton of great restaurants nearby. Tomaz was our favorite!

(2) It's beautiful ... open the front door and you are looking at a beautiful canal and canal houses. Open the french doors out the back and you have your own small terrace with wonderful greenery. The kitchen is decorated beautifully and has the most amazing wood floors. The bedroom and bath are more standard, but very nice.

(3) It's quiet ... both during the day and evening. The only sounds you hear are the occasional car or bicycle passing in the front. It's a quiet, residential street. At bedtime, I actually put the radio on low to have a bit of background noise!! How often can you say that about a place?

(3) It's functional ... the kitchen has a good sized table for looking at all the brochures and maps that the homeowner keeps in the apartment -- good for planning your outings. It would also be a nice place to sit if you keep a travel journal. The chairs are comfortable. The kitchen can also be "separated" from the bedroom area by pulling a curtain that the homeowner hung between the rooms. The bed is very comfortable and plenty big for two. There are 2 individual comforters that were sooo warm and cozy. Even though my husband and I snuggle up, it would be fine for 2 friends or relatives travelling together. The bathroom facilities are fine and there is some really interesting tiles on the wall and in the shower. The shower is on the small side, but adequate. The lighting is also very good ... halogen ceiling lighting in the kitchen in bedroom were on dimmers. There are reading lights at either side of the bed, and in addition to the main light in the bathroom, there are lights behind the 2 mirrors in the bathroom that could be used as nightlights. There's also a high-speed internet connection! A laptop is provided, but we plugged the connection into our Apple and it worked great. (We watched part of the Giants game over the Internet!)

Finally, there is Anke, the homeowner. She is very kind and very helpful. She answered all of my questions prior to the trip, and was available for any questions during our stay without being in the least bit intrusive. This is important to my husband and I since we tend to be independent travelers and enjoy our privacy.

Our experience at Anno 1685 was wonderful, and we highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple