“Great hotel - would def go back”

WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #31 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
North East
“Great hotel - would def go back”
Reviewed March 5, 2011

My boyfriend and I had a great stay at this hotel. I would happily recommend this hotel. We arrived early in the morning and were able to check in straight away which was brilliant. The room was really nice, well decorated and very comfortable. We ate in the hotel and the food was very good - in the bar it was 14 euros for pasta - was good food though. Access to the internet for free in the foyer was really helpful to be able to get directions and opening times etc. The cocktail bar was nice - although not cheap (8-10 euros a drink). The location is a few mins walk to the tram stop. To get into the centre of Amsterdam from there is about 10 mins -a quick ten mins. It was really easy to get to Anne Franks, Dam square, Van Gough from the hotel and it was well worth buying the 48 hour travel card from reception. We didn't end up using the pool - was a shame you had to pay for towels- I would expect that as a free sevice if the hotel has a pool. Staff were very helpful and well informed to help answer any questions. There wasn't much immediately around the hotel but not sure why you would come to Amsterdam to not go into the centre and see the sights! I would happily return to this hotel and was very happy with the service we received.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Dear tara37,

Thank you for staying and thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor!
It is a pleasure to read your review,. we will share your feedback with our entire team!
We are looking forward to welcome you again as our guests in the WestCord Fashion Hotel.

Nico Evers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We have just come back from an three night break in Amsterdam and stayed as at the Westcord Fashion Hotel. overall the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and efficent, checking in early isnt a problem and the hotel does warrant its four stars. It is a trendy funky hotel with a difference. The rooms are big spacious and very well decorated. They are fitted with all the mod cons you could want. Breakfast in the hotel is ridiculously expensive so we didnt eat in the hotel. However both the normal and skyy bar are great. The pool and gym is well equipped for a good workout however the staff in the gym were a bit arsy I dont know why?? The hotels main bad point is its distance from the city centre, it takes 20 mins on the tram and is too far. However if you dont mind this the hotel is good value for your money.

Dear liam6913,

Thank you for staying an thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor!
We are very happy with your nice review. We will share your comments with our entire team. We do hope that we get the chance to welcome you again as our guests in the near future!

Kind regards,

liverpool, england
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Arrived in schiphol for our 8th trip to Amsterdam at approx 10.30am; usually we would take the train from schiphol to Amsterdam, which is very efficient and cheap, but as the fashion hotel is close to lelylaan station with then a tram stop, and having already checked access for my wheelchair, we decided on this occassion to take a taxi from the airport. (Taxi cost 28 euros - and we were given a card for a 20% discount off the return journey).

Arrived at the hotel after approx a 10 minute drive and although check-in is not till 3pm we were welcomed and swiftly checked in. Our room was on the 8th floor, and the lift (there were 3) was easily big enough for me in my wheelchair, my husband and our case, plus others.

The room was a nice size, large, especially by dutch standards, and as has been said before, has a seperate toilet room, which you find as you enter your room; the room is equiped with a large flat screen tv (BBC1, 2 & 3 and channel 5, plus CBBC, british channels plus cnn and other language programmes) tea/coffee making facilities, in a handy pull out drawer, laptop size safe, (with charger plug built in), mini bar was novel, a sort of vending machine rather than a fridge - very stylish, with cans of coke and heiniken both costin 3.50 euros each - charged to your room, so you dont need to find coins to vend the items. There was ample space to hang / store clothes and the wardrobe also housed a ironing board/iron. There is also a desk area with chair and also 2 comfy chairs. Must not forget the bed - lovely, large and comfortable, as were the pillows, and just as in the hotel photos; we had a great sleep.

The bathroom houses the bath, and a seperate shower area, plus sink, and hairdryer. The bath was lovely and deep and quite long - well it would be for me as I am only 1.51! - and yes it is seperated from the main bedroom area by glass door with frosty glass panels which more serve to ensure you know that there is a door there than to preserve modesty - however after 25 years together, this did not bother us, but it might faze others especially if business collegues.

The rest of the hotel is very stylish and in keeping with the general ambiance of the hotel. We did not partake in breakfast - prefering to have a lazy lie in (after all we were on holiday) and then an early lunch in the bar.

The bar area is nice and seemed to be used by lots of people for business meetings; the staff in the bar are very helpful, polite and attentive however the one problem we did encounter, purely as a wheelchair user, is that the way the bar area is set out, area's that seemed more 'set up' for a cozy 2 people were in the area of high bar stools, which leaves the table inaccessable and your view that of your partner - and everyone elses bottom. This left the only option to sit on a table that was set with large sofa and 3 or 4 other beautiful (and heavy) chairs, one of which we needed to move to be able to sit near each other comfotably. There were a couple of other, still large, tables that would have been more appropriate but at the time they were in use. Some other seats were available but again larger tables and seat lower than my wheelchair. No big deal, just a problem for wheelchair users that most 'style' hotels fail to realise.

Bar prices were fair (2.50 e for a coke/ 4.50 for large beer), and our lunch was good value for what we got especially compared to breakfast prices. On day 1 I had an omelette (12euros) and hubby had French onion soup (6 euros) and on our last day we had spaghetti (12 euros) both had too much and left some, but it was delicous.

The Pool was nice, decent size for a hotel however for disabled people not so good. My hubby went down to do a recki for us and although there were 2 steps (1 is not very deep so wheels cannot easily be balanced on it) the main problem was that there was no changing facilities for disabled people nor any family/multi sex changing rooms. This was solved by changing in our rooms and paying 4.50 each for use of a bath robe to 'cover up' to get from room to pool and back, and although it is mentioned in the hotel booklet that bathrobes cost 4.50, it isnt mentioned that there is no other way for disabled people to change - other than in public, another cost for disabled people that able bodied need not pay out for, and yet another way we are made to feel like an inconvenience. To add insult to injury, we were told quite forcefully from the grumpy lady that if we did not return the bath robes to them imediatley after taking then to our room we would be charged an additional 60 euros!

Once in the pool area, there is a nice seating area, as well as the pool and a shower, and sauras & soleriums - behind other doors - at extra cost. The pool is accessed, as usual by vertical steps into the pool; we have had much practice at getting in and out of pools over the years, so I managed to get in/out with hubbys help in our normal manner, and then walking a few steps with my walkingstick to my chair - parked as near as possible to the pool. Well, our last complaint was that the grumbly lady came and moved my slippers that were placed in the area near my chair so that I didnt slip when getting from pool edge to chair! She needs to do not only a disability awareness course but a customer service course - something that I could not say about any other member of staff from the hotel, so hopefully it is just that the pool is rum by another company, if not she is not the asset the rest of the staff are.

We were going to use the restaurant just on our first night, and eat out on our second night, but the food was sooo good on the first we had our second nights meal there too. Yes, it is not cheap - but it is not expensive by any means, and for the amount and quality of food you get, the service and the taste of the food it is well worth the cost. My favorite starter was the jerusalham artichoke cappacino which is served with a mushroom brushetta - every mouthful was so tasty and served to appeal visually also. Hubbys favorite starter was scollops with a hazelnut crust, which I also couldnt risist a taste of too! the steak for maincourse (22 euros) -served with a bowl of fries, side salad and pepper sauce - was so delicous and such large pieces of meat that I left almost half! On our second night, I had monkfish and hubby again had the steak. On the last night we pigged out and also had dessert - hazelnut souffle is to die for (that was hubby choice but I ate most of it and wouldnt give it him back!) The food alone is reason to go back to this hotel.

We also, dont say suprise surprise, visited the skky bar on the 10th floor. The panoramic view of the city is a delight and the cocktails are moreish, plenty of alcohol, but so smooth and enjoyable. Again, the service was impecable and very friendly, and we spent a pleasant evening there. It was a tad cool in there, but as more people get in the tempertaure would rise so I guess later at night and at weekends it is not so cool. Cocktails cost 8-10 euros each.

The area around the hotel is newly built and the pathways, in places, are stillunder construction, which gave us problems getting out and about, even to the tram stop 250 meters out of the hotel, but this is (a) not the hotels fault, and (b) should be completed in a few months, so should not have any bearing on visiting the hotel, even with the work, there was no noise from it during our stay. The hotel would be convenient for the station, the tram stop is close and is opposite rembrandtpark, with a canal at the rear of the hotel (accessed by lift to -2 and exit from pool area). To get back in to the hotel at this entrance you need your room key, which is also needed to access the lift/stairwells. This is a good security measure, however the fact that we could not get anywhere from the main entrance, meant that as we had checked out, we could not go for a walk and come back for our case which we has left in the luggage room (another good security feature of luggage room is that it is ticketed) because we wouldnt be able to get back in to the hotel or back to reception - having now no key! so we were actually stuck either in the hotel (which we chose - having lunch and a coffee) or else get to the airport 3 hours earlier than earliest check in time. Again a problem that able bodied guest would not encounter - unless they have a baby toddler with a pram/stroller, and hopefully one that will be solved when the work in the vacinity is complete.

In summery, we had a lovely stay, the staff from cleaners, to reception, bar to restuarant (with great exception of pool!) were excellent food was delicous and our stay was pleasant and relaxing. I would look forward to returning - possibly when paths around are completed.

2 Thank juejosh
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear iuejosh,

First of all we would like to thank you for staying with us. It's very nice to learn that you've had a wonderful stay! We will share your commenst with our entire team!
We hope that we get the chance to welcome yu again as our guests!

Stafford UK
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Arrived Schipol 09.00, waited 5 mins for train to Sation nearest hotel. Less than 10 min walk to hotel ( some reviews say to use tram, but it hardly seems worth it ) checked in at 10.00am, room comfortable. Yes there are glass doors to the bathroom, so if on a business trip with others you may want your own room. Toilet is seperate, with no sink to wash your hands, you have to go back to the bathroom for that. We used both the Skyy bar on the 10th floor and the ground floor bar. Both were efficiently staffed and resonably priced. We booked through hotels4u.com and pre purchased breakfast. Other guests have moaned about the egg selection, and I must agree with them. Apart from this the breakfast was superb. We had 1 evening meal in the hotel which was very nice, though a litle expensive. Went swimming, take your room towel with you or they will charge you 3.50 euro for towel rental ( pool is not owned by hotel )We Purchased 48 hour tram passes from the hotel at 11.50 euro each. The walk to the tram stop is 5 - 7 mins on a steady walk. We have visited many many cities over the years, and I must say that the transport system in Amsterdam is brill. We never waited more than 5 mins for a tram either from the hotel stop or in the city back to the hotel. Amsterdam city.. everyone must visit, there is something for everyone. Take the 1 hour canal trip, and ensure you visit Anne Franks house. Bars, Coffee Shops ( if you want to not remember your visit ) eateries of all tastes available as well as a surprisingly large selection of shops. Would recommend this hotel and city for a short break.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear jdh70,

Thank you for your nice review. We will share it with our entire team.
It is good to learn that you, apart from the eggs, are happy with our food and beverage department. We will discuss your comments about the breakfast with the responsible colleagues. If you have any egg suggestions....you are more than welcome to share them.

Once again we would like to thank you and we do hope that we may welcome you again as our guest in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2011

the hotel its verry nice inside,you are far from the city centre so that s make lose the hotel lots point if you want go in amsterdam to enjoi the city c entre.
plus when we check out , i went in the airport and i reconice i left my psp on the table in my room (my room was 517),so i called the hotel but they couldnt find anythighs. im so angry about this im sure someone did still my psp....the hoel is good for conference

5 Thank paolonieddu
Dear Paolonieddu,

First off all we would like to thank you for your comments. We are distressed to learn of your dissatisfaction as we strive to fulfill and meet the needs of all our guests. Quality and continuity are characteristic for the WestCord Fashion hotel, with reference to this we are training our staff.

We investigated thoroughly but we are unable to locate your PSP. Might it be possible that you lost your PSP on your way to the airport? We advise you to claim the loss at your travel insurance.

For any future reservations I kindly ask you to contact me directly.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I am an expat, currently living in Amsterdam. I visit this hotel with friends and family quite often as the hotel itself is of a very high standard. However, I have visited the day spa on numerous occasions and each time, the staff have made me feel uncomfortable. We were left waiting at the desk for several minutes while the male staff member fiddled with his computer. He did not welcome us or even thank us/say goodbye to us when we left. Throughout the day, some members of the staff, in particular the gentleman, was very rude and abrupt and lacked manners and was not customer focused. From the day I phoned to make an appointment to the actual day itself, I was given a bad vibe. As a result, I found it very hard to relax there. Its very sad because this is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Normally you have two choices if you travel with a budget that isn't unlimited, simply speaking: you stay in the city center and get a less fashionable hotel, or a bit outside and get more hotel for the money so to speak. I chose the latter and I was SO satisfied with my choice! The West Cord Fashion Hotel in Amsterdam might be considered a bit off, but seriously, it took about 15 minutes to go to the city center (tram No 1 and 17) and that isn't such a big deal, is it? Tram station was close, approx 5 minutes walk (if you not carry tons of luggage of course), and the trams come with just a few minutes in between, even during night, so the ride home was never a problem and you never needed to catch a specific tram in the timetable; just go to the station and a tram will appear within minutes. No need to take a taxi unless you’re extremely tired. The surroundings around the hotel was currently under construction (January 2011) but nothing that disturbed the night sleep or so. Actually, the hotel was very quiet! I didn't hear my neighbors at all. The rooms were absolutely fabulous; spacious, extremely comfortable beds and nice and clean bathroom. There is a glass door to the bathroom (not the toilet though!) and a glass window from the bedroom to the bathroom, which make it very stylish and a bit sexy if you travel as a couple. It also lets daylight into the bath room which is nice. Hotel staff was friendly, I had no problem at all, even though the cards didn’t work all the time, so I needed to get down to the reception again and “reinstall” it. The sky bar was neat with good drinks, although a bit expensive (approx 10 €). The pool and relaxing area was not huge but convenient with a very good tranquil atmosphere. The sauna cost extra, 10 € pp, which was a shame though.
Overall I had a very nice experience and I will definitely visit this hotel again! Hopefully the surrounding areas will be completed then so the environment outside will be nicer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Dear RulitaW,

First of all we would like to thank you for staying with us. We are very happy to read that you will return to our Hotel! Your feedback will be shared with the WestCord Fashion Team!

Kindest Regards,