“Great Hotel”

WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #35 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Conveniently located next to a GVB tram line, the Fashion Hotel makes for an easy way to stay in Amsterdam without paying city center prices. The staff is friendly and helpful and can provide you with a GVB day pass. The Skyybar is cool, with a good view of the Amsterdam financial district. The one draw back is that it can be a little tricky getting from the Lelyland train station to the hotel, particularly if you have big luggage for an extended european vacation as we did. But if you're traveling light or willing to spring for a cab (standard rate is 32.50 Euros), then it's well worth booking.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OliverTatom
manon_deboer, Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Oliver Tatom,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor! I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay! I will pass your compliments to the entire team! With regards to our location I can inform you that there is also a possibility to take the tram for 1 or 2 stops from the Lelylaan, to reduce the walking time with heavy luggage. I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again as our guests!

Booking Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,210)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent room, very spacious and trendy. The facilities were excellent and the customer service was great. Lots of opportunities to do day trips and tours from the hotel. Overall it is a great hotel and highly recommended. Only downside is the location - quite a long walk into the city centre, but there are regular trams running til about midnight.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan A

Dear Ryan A,

I was delighted to read that the hotel and the staff have met your expectations! Thank you for choosing our hotel and for recommending it to others! I do hope we can welcome you again to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam in the near future!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is a wonder in Amsterdam. Very good rooms, very good infrastructure, really friendly staff and all for a good price on Amsterdam standards.

Situated in a calm and good location of the city, you can just walk through the lovely Oud Zuid area for 10 min and then you are at the Vondelpark. Nearby the park you have nice restaurants and bars, that cost less and offer better drinks/food than the city centre area (tourist traps). Well, if you want to go there (centre), you can just walk from the hotel, or get the tram 1 that is really quick, like 10-15 to there. The hotel even rent bikes. I cant see why this is such a big problem when I see some people complaining here. If you want just stroll around the city centre, get a hotel there, don't complain.

Still about the location, it is very good for people that arrive by car, as it is situated on the city rings and you can park the car at the World Fashion Center Park and Ride (only EUR 8 a day with transp. ticket included). And this parking is less than 800m from the hotel.

The rooms are modern, comfortable and good sized. The Skyy bar has a good view with very good cocktails. Breakfast was really good with nice variety. Dinner at the restaurant was really good, with classy food and friendly waiters.

The only down for me would be the bill-to-the-room system that is a bit confusing. I was happy that the hotel was already paid on the Internet, but I was asked on the check-in if I wanted any "extra service" (I did not know what this was), then I said no. When I tried to get an beer from the automatic minibar (EUR 3,50 too expensive), it said "Guest not checked in". The same happened with me trying to put on the room the restaurant bill and the bar. You need to prepay like EUR 100 to put as credit for your room that you can use. This is not really optimal in my opinion, as it creates the impression that the hotel does not trust on the guests, and that you need to pay something before being able to use basic things like the minibar.

Other bit negative was the room cleaner, asking to clean the room before the breakfast. We were not leaving the room this day, so it does not make sense as we will return after the breakfast to take a shower or similar. We let her do the cleaning, but it was not really a great idea.

We let the baggage at the secure locker, they were really friendly about this. The only missing thing is that we haven't used the spa area (pool and sauna).

Room Tip: Rooms to the garden and on the floors 6 or 7 would be the best choice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
manon_deboer, Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear,

What a pleasure to read your review of your recent stay with us! Thank you for sharing this review and for all the kind words.
I was delighted to read that the hotel and the staff have met your expectations! I will share your feedback with my entire team! Your comment about the distance to the City Center are very appreciated, 15 minutes is not much indeed. Thank you for choosing our hotel and I hope we can welcome you again to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam in the near future!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed there two times. First time for business and now a few nights to visit Amsterdam. Given that the first stay was ok and the rate was attractive, I decided to come back. In summary, the infrastructure forces you to use public transport or taxis to go anywhere. The service quality was mixed and the breakfast buffet (didn't use it the first time) not really exciting (better to go for starbucks visits down town). The advertised "pamper package" is definitely not worth the money you pay. Overall an option to stay for a night, whenever Amsterdam is getting very busy, but not on my list to recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Springergabel

Dear

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.
I'm distressed to learn of your dissatisfaction as we strive to fulfill and meet the needs of all our guests.

We do hope we have the change to welcome you back in the hotel.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My friend & I stayed here for two nights while on our first trip to Amsterdam. Although it's a little bit out of the way, there is a tram stop about a 3 minute walk from the hotel, and lines 1 and 17 take you straight the centre of the city. As soon as I arrived at the hotel, I knew I picked the right hotel. Staff were so friendly and helpful, and they sell 48hr public transit tickets for 12E, so the tram thing is way too easy (although they stop running around midnight, and then you have to take a cab). The rooms are quite spacious and super clean, the shower was a lifesaver after a 6 hour train ride. The bar upstairs is gorgeous, but service a bit slow, and I wouldn't recommend room service or breakfast, as you can take the tram to De 9 Straatjes and find a yummier, cheaper breakfast (ie. Screaming Beans-- coffee lovers, go here!). Even though you're out of the city, the hotel is still quite rowdy, and the walls aren't that well soundproofed, which we didn't mind, because well, it's Amsterdam :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor! I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay! I will pass your compliments to the entire team! With regards to our location I can inform you that the nearest Tramstop is at 400 meters and a ride into the Centre is only 10 minutes. Thank you for staying with us and for recommending it to others. I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again as our guests!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Beeing a business traveler I'm always looking for a good compromise between price and quality. This is THE best hotel im the area. Spacious and very modern rooms, extremely good and helpfull staff and extra's for regular guests. I'm a regular guest for over 9 months now and enjoyed every stay, every week again. Thanks to Nico (General Manager) and staff for making this a little like 'home'. Do not hesitate to make this your preferred hotel when visiting Amsterdam even for a short stay. You won't regret.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mwittemans

Dear Marc,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm delighted to read that you enjoy your stays so much! Your compliments will be shared with my entire team! We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in a three person room which was a good size but the third bed was just a converted sofa which was too hard and uncomfortable to sleep. The room is modern and new, it has everything to hand but was a little dusty and the window/door to bathroom and mirrors make the bathroom unprivate. The double bed was bed comfortable and the room was quiet for a good sleep. We ate in the restaurant which was excellent value for money, the service was also excellent and the food, although a small
bottle of water was €5. Check- in and out very friendly and professional. The link to the wellness centre is not fully explained. We entered the wellness centre after breakfast for the free swim/sauna/steam which was fine however at 12 we were told you mush come out and pay and extra €14 to remain in the pool. Various other unfriendly and inflexible issues and a general message, frequently repeated by the welllness center was 'we are not part of the hotel'. They were unpractical in enforcing their rules and regulations to the point where we just left. Shame as it left a bad feeling about an otherwise lovely weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Msreview123

Dear,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I’m very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. With regards to your comments about the glass in the bathroom I can inform you that we have bathrooms with frosted glass available.
I look forward to welcome you again to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam in the future!