“Best Anniversary dinner ever”
Review of Restaurant Reflet - CLOSED

Restaurant Reflet
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: Brasserie Reflet right on Amsterdam’s Dam Square is officially a National Monument, and not many restaurants can make that claim. Opened in 1885, timeless Reflet has perfect Belle Epoque decor that will transport you back to that highly decorative age. There are soaring ceilings, ornate mouldings and carvings, fluted columns, luxurious drapery and all done in shades of cream and gold and terracotta. The modern menu has its roots in fine Burgundian cooking, including dishes like tempura of smoked eel with potato salad and lemon creme fraiche, main course of trio of veal, or speciality like Chateaubriand for two, and dessert of classic Crêpes Suzette made tableside. There are daily and Taste the Season menus, and the solid wine list includes ten by the glass. Reflet’s delightful surroundings accommodate up to 60 in groups, and we are sure the central location, historic ambience, lovely surroundings and association with the Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky and all its facilities (including hard-to-find car parking) would make this a popular choice for successful gatherings.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

There was melt in the mouth vennison and the best chocolate desert ever. Service was by attentive waitors, very knowledgable about wines in beautiful surroundings.

1  Thank larkrisefarm

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Located in the centre of Amsterdam , Dam square , Hotel Krasnapolsky , offers 5 star service and a top delicious moments. I was impressed by the professionalism of the people who fulfilled any special desire and made feel special. We enjoyed the food and we had a wide wine selection. Unfortunately next day ( Sunday ) was closed so I did not have the chance to visit it again.

1  Thank LuxFiveStar
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I highly recommend this restaurant. We ordered the Chefs Surprise (4 course) and everything was wonderful. The food was presented beautifully and was fresh and flavorful. This was a business dinner and everyone of the table for 6 was delighted. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

1  Thank Ramona J
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Wherever I go in the world I do tend to venture out beyond the hotel I'm staying at to eat but for once, based on the trip advice and other testimony I thought I'd try Reflet inside the NH Krasnapolski hotel.
Magnificent dining room but that's as far as the praise goes.
The dining room is anything but romantic. Due to the very high ceilings and original lighting dining tables look dim and uninviting. There was a table level candle on the table which did nothing - why don't they have some eye level dining candles which illuminate the diners faced?
Why not set of tables for couples to sit together on 2 sides rather than directly opposite each other - no intermscy.
The restaurant seems only to cater for 20 ish people at a time - the tables are so far apart they could get twice the number in and create an atmosphere!
The staff were friendly enough but if this is purporting to be fine dining, some things are just not right: Having a waiter leaning across the front of you whilst positioning cutlery; having to ask for butter 10 minutes after the bread rolls were served; having to ask the sommelier what the 'chefs surprise' main course might be to assist my wine choice - surely his job! When the sommelier came to open the wine, he was more interested in everything else in the restaurant other than the 2 guests in front of him waiting for him to open the bottle - behaviour more akin to a high street chain eatery than a so called fine dining establishment - he seemed to have all the time in the world to fiddle with his computer screen but took NO time with his client when the opportunity TO DO HIS ONE JOB came.

SLOW SLOW service.
We sat at 7.55 - the place was 'full' with their 22 ish diners. We chose the 4 course chefs surprise menu. By 9.55 we were just being served our 3rd course so abandoned the meal as we couldn't bear to spend anymore time in the over pretentious surroundings.
What on earth is the chef doing? He must have come into the restaurant 10 times to chat to a particular customer or other staff - no wonder our food took so long!
I don't think I have ever seen a chef of nite come into the dining room more than once. The other staff had almost nothing to do so why he felt the need to venture into the dining room at all is beyond me.
The place is over staffed / current staff have very little to do.
As for the food, course 1 a cold salmon dish was fairly bland - no seasoning on the dish and no pepper in the table. Course 2 was a soufflé - much better than course 1 but really the star flavour was the cheese crisps that came with it. Course 3 was lovely - beef - very tender accompanied with tasty vegetables and a gravy....that was the end for us due to painfully slow service and a city to explore - if we'd have wanted cheese on too of our 4 courses I'd probably still be in the restaurant now.

I imagine that the restaurant is part of the overall hotel catering service in which case it's loss making overstaffing, far too few covers to create atmosphere and profit, all probably go unnoticed by financial management as it gets lost I'm the overall budget.

The restaurant staff, chef and management need to realise that what they offer is way way below what their venue and decor promises.

Put more covers in / candle sticks on tables / if its fine dining (purely due to the room decor I imagine) get your staff trained better / make the staff earn their money - most other independent restaurants in the city turn tables 3 times in the same time as one sitting here and staff work really hard to make it a great experience - but not at Reflet.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

W e opted for 4 course meal with the chef choosing our menu. We were asked our preference for main course which was helpful. I t could be considered a little pricey but our 4 course cost €40+ which was excellent value. Staff very helpful but not overbearing and we enjoyed the wine which was recommended to us. There was no rush between courses and the setting was superb, like a scene from a period film. Really enjoyed our visit.

3  Thank John C