“Great vegetarian food”
Review of De Waaghals

De Waaghals
Reserve with
De Waaghals is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #649 of 4,096 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Description: De WAAGHALS (= The Dare-devil) is an attractive vegetarian restaurant. The atmosphere is informal, but the food is refined and creative. Organic ingredients are used as much as possible. Each month a dish focuses on a different country. Our menu changes twice a month. There is a large selection of drinks available, from various sorts of tea and fruit juices to different kinds of beer (including locally brewed ones) and organic wines. The interior is very comfortable and on nice summer evenings you can dine outside. De WAAGHALS is very popular with a growing number of non-vegetarians. It is advisable to book in advance
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I really enjoyed our meal here. I had the Egyptian menu & my husband the classic menu and our three courses were great. Lots of interesting different components to our main courses. Situated in nice neighbourhood, & we sat out at the pavement tables, which was lovely. I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went to this restaurant after reading great reviews and was sorely disappointed. The food was over cooked, tasteless, bland and unseasoned. They boil the veg until it has no taste left then don't even bother seasoning it. It was not worth the money or a trip there at all plus the cat walked on my boyfriends lap at the table and the owners warned us he might scratch us and was an unfriendly cat. Not quite the cat you want arriving on your lap in the restaurant. I love vegetarian food and was really so sorry this didn't live up to any reviews at all. I wanted to love the place but I couldn't. I wouldn't go back again.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Visited this restaurant after reading reviews online and I have to say we were very pleased with the meal we had.

Arrived just after 9pm and there was one table available, it was last orders for food so we were lucky we weren't any later or we'd have missed out!

Shared three appetisers - Goats Cheese Croquette, Tapas for Two and Cauliflower Cookie, followed by a dessert each - Rhubarb Crumble and Sticky Toffee Cake. Drinks were Glass of White Wine, Fresh Orange Juice and two coffees.

Everything was delicious and the bill came to 38Euros. The mains sounded really nice but we were not in the mood for big dinners and feared wasting them as they were around 18/19euros each!

Overall, very pleased with this place - really rich, tasty and imaginative food, served with a friendly smile in a relaxed, pleasant atmosphere - will most definitely return again.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked this place on line before travelling to Amsterdam on the recommendations from The Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor - and they are spot on!
I enjoyed the Algerian menu and so did The Husband who eats animals.
Very friendly service - they work hard! The place was full and this on a Wednesday night.
Resident Kitty was severely scolded by Visiting Dog. Poor Kitty - but he/she stood his/her ground and then went off through a cat flap. I'd like to have made his/her acquaintance!

As semi-Vegan I find it difficult to find good, healthy food when travelling and this restaurant was a great find. Organic, too, which I eat at home so a real plus when out and about!
The owner is an Affable Fellow and stopped to chat!
A very "gezellig" evening despite Grumpy Visiting Hound!

1  Thank Jeannette G
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The end of the story is that we didn't get to eat in this place that we had high hopes for, so we can't really say much about the food or service, but we can recommend that you check the opening hours before you go there because we were disappointed twice. It is open only a few (about 4) hours a day and not every day.Again this has nothing to say about the place itself, that might be great...

1  Thank Amir B